Home

Pick and Roll isn't implemented realisticallly

This is a discussion on Pick and Roll isn't implemented realisticallly within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2017, 03:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Pick and Roll implementation is simply wrong!!

Pick and Roll is the most important play in basketball. So, for a game to be a sim, it has to try to get this on-court action right.
Gameplay is without a doubt better than before but the pick-and-roll is still not implemented correctly.

And the reason is the lack of spacing. When the pick-and-roll develops in the game, the players are cluttered too much together. There is simply not enough space between them. First of all, often the defender is crowding the ballhandler. In a real game the ballhandler could easily drive the basket. In the game - because of the animations and the little force field of the defender, that's not that easy. The second problem is that the defending big and the pick setter are too close together as well. Often the pick isn't "recognized" by the game, so the ball handler, the defender and the pick setter are all cluttered up together - and the action just stops.
The only viable option right now for the user is to turbo around the defending big - and then it's an easy layup. But there isn't much other pick-and-roll option other than that. I don't see pick-and-slip, pick-and fade, or pick-and-pop. Because there simply isn't created enough space through the pick. The temporarily 2 on 1 situation doesn't happen as often as it should (defender being behind the play through the pick)

Suggestions:
- Don't let the cpu defender crowd the ballhandler as standard
- make pick strength stronger (i can do that through sliders (strength) but a higher number here impacts the movement of the players as well and that throws of some timings)
- Defending big should sag a bit more of when the action develops. So he can hedge better or cut the ballhandler off better when he is driving.

Pick and roll isn't playing realistic for the user. And the cpu isn't able to use it properly at all. I really think that needs work to make the game really good.

Last edited by frank70; 09-21-2017 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Different title
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Pick and Roll implementation is simply wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70
Pick and Roll is the most important play in basketball. So, for a game to be a sim, it has to try to get this on-court action right.
Gameplay is without a doubt better than before but the pick-and-roll is still not implemented correctly.

And the reason is the lack of spacing. When the pick-and-roll develops in the game, the players are cluttered too much together. There is simply not enough space between them. First of all, often the defender is crowding the ballhandler. In a real game the ballhandler could easily drive the basket. In the game - because of the animations and the little force field of the defender, that's not that easy. The second problem is that the defending big and the pick setter are too close together as well. Often the pick isn't "recognized" by the game, so the ball handler, the defender and the pick setter are all cluttered up together - and the action just stops.
The only viable option right now for the user is to turbo around the defending big - and then it's an easy layup. But there isn't much other pick-and-roll option other than that. I don't see pick-and-slip, pick-and fade, or pick-and-pop. Because there simply isn't created enough space through the pick. The temporarily 2 on 1 situation doesn't happen as often as it should (defender being behind the play through the pick)

Suggestions:
- Don't let the cpu defender crowd the ballhandler as standard
- make pick strength stronger (i can do that through sliders (strength) but a higher number here impacts the movement of the players as well and that throws of some timings)
- Defending big should sag a bit more of when the action develops. So he can hedge better or cut the ballhandler off better when he is driving.

Pick and roll isn't playing realistic for the user. And the cpu isn't able to use it properly at all. I really think that needs work to make the game really good.
Stop holding L1 and start calling plays...simple. if you want space, call the appropriate freelance.

Stop writing these dumb long paragraphs about your lack of knowledge of the game. You just prove how much of an idiot you truly are
Old 09-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Rookie

soamazen23's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Pick and Roll isn't implemented realisticallly

I pick and roll about 65 pct of the time. From my experience you have to have the offense spread out correctly before you end up calling for the pick. Either iso on ur PG while walking up the court or call a spread offense such as the Maverick. that one has your bigs on the low post with the 2 and 3 on the wings. Let the pick develop and then read the defense. If they hedge go the opposite way. It takes practice but it can work. With my PG player locked Ive always had a high assist avg. 10 - 12 per game
Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindtheArc88
Stop holding L1 and start calling plays...simple. if you want space, call the appropriate freelance.

Stop writing these dumb long paragraphs about your lack of knowledge of the game. You just prove how much of an idiot you truly are
Nice post. You should be banned for that.

By the way..... i am a basketball coach. Just saying.

So, i should stop using the pick-and-roll because it isn't right? Or i am just too stupid?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Rookie

Re: Pick and Roll isn't implemented realisticallly

Quote:
Originally Posted by soamazen23
I pick and roll about 65 pct of the time. From my experience you have to have the offense spread out correctly before you end up calling for the pick. Either iso on ur PG while walking up the court or call a spread offense such as the Maverick. that one has your bigs on the low post with the 2 and 3 on the wings. Let the pick develop and then read the defense. If they hedge go the opposite way. It takes practice but it can work. With my PG player locked Ive always had a high assist avg. 10 - 12 per game
I isn't that i cannot score out of pick-and-rolls.

I just think that the positioning of the 4 players that are involved in it, is not right. There isn't enough space between them, the pick isn't strong enough to take the ball defender temporarily out of the play. And therefore there aren't that many different options out of this basic basketball play.

When the cpu runs pick-and-roll against me, most of the time it leads to nothing. The play breaks down 8 out of 10 times and it leads to an iso or a forced shot when the shot clock runs down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

I haven't noticed any lack of space this year. Normally run out of Pace freelance and it's been very kind to me. I usually get about 3 or 4 instances a game where the ballhandler has a layup or pullup opportunity and a few more instances where the roll man gets free. Add in a few more where a perimeter shooter gets open, and I'm enjoying it. I have however noticed what you're talking about with the computer.

My tip to you would be to start setting up the pick with dribble moves, if you aren't already. There are plenty of times where a simple dribble move or triple threat jab step will get you just enough space to work. That took a little bit for me to learn because it was certainly not that way last year, you could drive past the screener and force help every time. This year bigs tend to sag back. This, as you know, creates a 1-on-1 with your guard against a big. Use that to your advantage. A quick stepback with your guard will get an easy middie. Pick plays aren't as OP as they were last year (which is good), but they are still quite effective.

Hopefully that helps. Try Pace freelance too. It provides very good spacing. Good luck, my friend!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Operation Sports mobile app
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 09-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
DC
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 39

When MANUALLY calling for an On Ball Screen, try calling a quick Isolation first. That is an easy work around.

Also, for Freelance, are you telling your team to space the floor?

Also what Freelance base are you using?
Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
I haven't noticed any lack of space this year. Normally run out of Pace freelance and it's been very kind to me. I usually get about 3 or 4 instances a game where the ballhandler has a layup or pullup opportunity and a few more instances where the roll man gets free. Add in a few more where a perimeter shooter gets open, and I'm enjoying it. I have however noticed what you're talking about with the computer.

My tip to you would be to start setting up the pick with dribble moves, if you aren't already. There are plenty of times where a simple dribble move or triple threat jab step will get you just enough space to work. That took a little bit for me to learn because it was certainly not that way last year, you could drive past the screener and force help every time. This year bigs tend to sag back. This, as you know, creates a 1-on-1 with your guard against a big. Use that to your advantage. A quick stepback with your guard will get an easy middie. Pick plays aren't as OP as they were last year (which is good), but they are still quite effective.

Hopefully that helps. Try Pace freelance too. It provides very good spacing. Good luck, my friend!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Operation Sports mobile app
Thanks. But that the cpu cannot run the pick-and-roll effectively is a big letdown for us offline-players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »