Home

Defense finally matters

This is a discussion on Defense finally matters within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Defense finally matters

For the first time on next gen 2k has actually made it where defensive ratings matter. You can no longer play poor defenders big minutes, and the chess game of who and when to sub in and out is now important. Slow bigs are now liabilities out high guarding the pnr, and poor perimeter defenders get beat off the dribble all game. Good job 2k. Defense finally matters.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
Pro

MrBallaBoy21's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Defense finally matters

Let's just pray that it doesn't get patched to hell. People are already complaining about the defense not realizing their hands were being held previous years.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Yes Rob well put. Well needed thread.

I don't remember the last i enjoyed the hell out of defense this much and the variety between players are night and day and it's just great fun, players 'users' who are good at defense are now different than who are not for the first time since i don't know.. I'm just super hyped about it, fundamentals in, the fun is in. Just Beatiful.

I'd like to thank to whoever responsible about defense in terms of strategy and movement and physics. Thank you all starting with OG.

PS: I sent you a dm btw.

Last edited by ataman5; 09-21-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

OVR: 0

Example:

Lonzo Ball was killing us in the 4th. I was the '04 Lakers. The score was 135-133 (I was leading). I put Kobe on Lonzo for the final seconds and I played him beautiful and contested his shot. It was amazing to play defense like that. I was beating them badly in the 2nd half but Lonzo kept them in the game with his passing and shooting. Nope, not having that.

It does feel amazing to play defense in a 2K game again. Really having fun on Superstar. This is the first time I have been this good early. Usually takes me until December to "get it." Not this year.

I'm using the right stick to contest a lot more in my games and it seems to work better. You can really lock guys down and play them tight. Lol, I was even playing one handed defense meaning I was using my right hand on the right stick because I was multi-tasking.

Anyway, defense is the best it's ever been and I hope it stays this way. The game needs to stay this way, period.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Pro

ThatMichiganFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
For the first time on next gen 2k has actually made it where defensive ratings matter. You can no longer play poor defenders big minutes, and the chess game of who and when to sub in and out is now important. Slow bigs are now liabilities out high guarding the pnr, and poor perimeter defenders get beat off the dribble all game. Good job 2k. Defense finally matters.
I agree, it's awesome! Using Detroit, there are times when I just can't have Luke Kenna's in the game because he gets tossed every play on defense. The increased level of strategy necessary is fantastic.

2K18 Sliders:https://forums.operationsports.com/f...n-sliders.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
Example:

Lonzo Ball was killing us in the 4th. I was the '04 Lakers. The score was 135-133 (I was leading). I put Kobe on Lonzo for the final seconds and I played him beautiful and contested his shot. It was amazing to play defense like that. I was beating them badly in the 2nd half but Lonzo kept them in the game with his passing and shooting. Nope, not having that.

It does feel amazing to play defense in a 2K game again. Really having fun on Superstar. This is the first time I have been this good early. Usually takes me until December to "get it." Not this year.

I'm using the right stick to contest a lot more in my games and it seems to work better. You can really lock guys down and play them tight. Lol, I was even playing one handed defense meaning I was using my right hand on the right stick because I was multi-tasking.

Anyway, defense is the best it's ever been and I hope it stays this way. The game needs to stay this way, period.
did you actually guard lonzo? or did you toss kobe the cpu player on him and watch? lol just curious
Old 09-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

I guarded him with Kobe myself. The ACE had Bryon Russell guarding him in the 2nd half, so I said screw that, I'll do it with Kobe. Ball was hitting a lot of 3's and I guarded him from full court with like 6 seconds left. I play on-ball defense 75% of the time. You can't just play it all the time because of how fast the AI moves, so I try to switch manually on screens, catch hedges, etc.

I'm not letting the CPU teammates do that lol. I would have lost if I let the CPU guard him.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Rookie

33JAF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellquist
Example:

I thought this thread was about defense! Jk, my man. definitely loving the defense this year. Gotta use those defensive coach settings, brings a great strategic element to the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »