Home

NBA 2K18 Innaccurate player tendencies and badges

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Innaccurate player tendencies and badges within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Post NBA 2K18 Innaccurate player tendencies and badges

Just yesterday I was looking up a box score and after noticing some things decided it might be good ideas to point out some innacurrate badges and tendencies that have crept out early on in the game. My hope is that it would help the team to correct some of it and that's why I'd like for us to back up our points with statistical data.

What I've noticed so far without doing much digging:

BADGES:

Avery Bradley - Pick Pocket (Gold) - while he is a great defender he averages only 1.1 steals in his career, with 1.5 being his career high.

Jabari Parker - Hustle Rebounder (Silver) - averaged 6.2 rebounds per game last season (15.1 DREB% good for 211 in the league, 5.3 OREB%, good for 172 in the league)

Robert Covington - needs a Defensive Stopper badge (probably silver)

18th in Defensive Rating last season, 3.2 Defensive Win Shares

Considered as one of the best perimeter defenders in the league today.

Evan Turner - Posterizer (bronze) - I'm not sure such a ground-bound player should have a posterizer badge (6 dunks this season, 8 dunks last season) and he's definitely not known for posterizing people.

(via Nickstank)

Nikola Jokic - Gold Flashy Passer and Silver Dimer (had neither before)
Patrick Beverley and Andre Roberson - Gold D. Stopper
Dwyane Wade & Dwight Howard - Downgraded various badges because they aren't who they used to be, and 2K is still badging them like they're near prime
Durant & J.R. Smith - Catch & Shoot upgraded to Gold
Kevin Durant - Added Rim Protector and Defensive Stopper
Marc & Pau Gasol - Catch & Shoot downgraded to Silver
Rajon Rondo - Took off Defensive Stopper
LeBron & Westbrook - One Man Fast Break upgraded to HOF
Kevin Love - Break Starter upgraded to HOF
Andre Drummond - Putback King downgraded to Gold

TENDENCIES:

Andre Roberson - several user noted that he is really trigger happy (60 in the three point tendency, league average for a SH is 56) and while he average 2.3 three pointers per game, we know he shoots them only when wide open and can be considered a reluctant shooter.

Al Jefferson - Standing Dunk Tendency - 70, Driving Dunk Tendecy - 80

Seems a bit high for a guy who barely gets off the ground. I've checked it after he dunked twice in one game. Jefferson had 10 dunks all last season (13 the year before and 15 the year before that) and his %FGA that are dunks is 0.21 (last year 0.28, the year before that 0.15).

GENERAL TENDENCIES:

This probably needs more data, but I've notieced a pattern with a teams having two stars (not sure, but it seems to be the issue with teams with new star players).

OKC - Based on a sample size of a few games: Westbrook seems to take the majority of shots, usually 20+ (6 minute quaters) while Paul George takes 2-4 shots. (same issue with Denver Nuggets - Millsap took 18 shots (6 minute quaters) while Jokic took 4 shots - but this could be an abberation, it was one game)

Hope you guys can contribute and we can contribute to making the game even more realistic!

Last edited by MacD; 09-29-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

Re: NBA 2K18 Innaccurate player tendencies and badges

the reason I don't bother with 2k official rosters..

17 was worse tho.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #3
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
NBA 2K18 Innaccurate player tendencies and badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacD
Just yesterday I was looking up a box score and after noticing some things decided it might be good ideas to point out some innacurrate badges and tendencies that have crept out early on in the game. My hope is that it would help the team to correct some of it and that's why I'd like for us to back up our points with statistical data.

What I've noticed so far without doing much digging:

BADGES:

Avery Bradley - Pick Pocket (Gold) - while he is a great defender he averages only 1.1 steals in his career, with 1.5 being his career high.

Jabari Parker - Hustle Rebounder (Silver) - averaged 6.2 rebounds per game last season (15.1 DREB% good for 211 in the league, 5.3 OREB%, good for 172 in the league)

TENDENCIES:

Andre Roberson - several user noted that he is really trigger happy (60 in the three point tendency, league average for a SH is 56) and while he average 2.3 three pointers per game, we know he shoots them only when wide open and can be considered a reluctant shooter.

GENERAL TENDENCIES:

This probably needs more data, but I've notieced a pattern with a teams having two stars (not sure, but it seems to be the issue with teams with new star players).

OKC - Based on a sample size of a few games: Westbrook seems to take the majority of shots, usually 20+ (6 minute quaters) while Paul George takes 2-4 shots. (same issue with Denver Nuggets - Millsap took 18 shots (6 minute quaters) while Jokic took 4 shots - but this could be an abberation, it was one game)

Hope you guys can contribute and we can contribute to making the game even more realistic!

Shots for AI are not solely based on tendencies. They are based on ACE and ACE is dynamic. We like to wait until teams play together before assuming how they will play.

The default for OKC is that PG and Westbrook share touches but depending on matchups and mismatches and hot cold streaks they could dynamically be altered.

Also Westbrook is the pg he will naturally have more opportunities to call his own number.

So if Westbrook has a huge mismatch or just a mismatch and he gets it going the game will dynamically give him more touches.

And we have no idea how these teams will actually play. Once we have a large enough sample size ACE will be updated. But it will still be dynamic so every single game doesn't play out the same regardless of matchups and all that stuff I mentioned before.

We could hard-code it so x always gets x amount of shots but that wouldn't play very smart once you notice that pattern.

When you make something dynamic you inherently give up some control.

A probable reason for the increased shots for Andre is the defense is most likely to gap or leave him. Especially AI defenders when help or rotations are needed.

His spotup 3 point tendency is more important that the default point tendency in determining how many 3's he is shooting. Also as I said how is the defense playing him ? These are all factors. The default 3 point tendency has more to do with spacing than shot attempts because those were made more situational as I mentioned in the blog.

A lot of work and testing was put into the tendencies and I'm certain there are some that need to be adjusted but overall they are much better than they have ever been.

Also post scorers are difficult to get the ball to because they plays ran for them can branch because of defensive lapses or pressure. Also post plays are longer which means more time for something else to open up.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

Last edited by Da_Czar; 09-22-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Shots for AI are not solely based on tendencies. They are based on ACE and ACE is dynamic. We like to wait until teams play together before assuming how they will play.

The default for OKC is that PG and Westbrook share touches but depending on matchups and mismatches and hot cold streaks they could dynamically be altered.

Also Westbrook is the pg he will naturally have more opportunities to call his own number.

So if Westbrook has a huge mismatch or just a mismatch and he gets it going the game will dynamically give him more touches.

And we have no idea how these teams will actually play. Once we have a large enough sample size ACE will be updated. But it will still be dynamic so every single game doesn't play out the same regardless of matchups and all that stuff I mentioned before.

We could hard-code it so x always gets x amount of shots but that wouldn't play very smart once you notice that pattern.

A probable reason for the increased shots for Andre is the defense is most likely to gap or leave him. Especially AI defenders when help or rotations are needed.

His spotup 3 point tendency is more important that the default point tendency in determining how many 3's he is shooting. Also as I said how is the defense playing him ? These are all factors. The default 3 point tendency has more to do with spacing than shot attempts because those were made more situational as I mentioned in the blog.

A lot of work and testing was put into the tendencies and I'm certain there are some that need to be adjusted but overall they are much better than they have ever been.

Also post scorers are difficult to get the ball to because they plays ran for them can branch because of defensive lapses or pressure. Also post plays are longer which means more time for something else to open up.

Thanks for the answer Czar!

When it comes to tendencies I've already mentioned that the sample size is important, I don't want to draw conclusions based on one game. I also love the fact that the system is supposed to be dynamic, based on matchups etc, makes it more realistic and interesting. But in terms of OKC I think there might be a troubling pattern based on a few games I've played and saw online (again, hope I'm wrong here). Of course you guys are right in waiting to see how the teams play. I just assume that Westbrook won't play the same way as last year with PG around, and the few games gave me that impression.

When it comes to Andre it seems to be even more tricky. Defenses will leave him open, yet he's still a reluctant shooter (not sure there's a tendency for that) resulting in him passing up on open looks, but I assume that may be really difficult to implement. I'm okay with Roberson shooting a high number of threes once in a while (his career high in attempts is 9) but if he does it reguraly then it's a problem.

Last edited by MacD; 09-22-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Roberson definitely needs his tendencies revisited, he's way too trigger happy at the moment. He gets ignored offensively a ton in real life and he still only shoots 2.3 threes a game.

In 2K, he'll routinely put up 8+ threes a game on 12 minute quarters (with quite a few of them being pull up jumpers) which is not at all accurate to how he plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar

So Czar default 3 point tendency is more of a determinant on where a player is to stand spacing wise and the spot up tendencies determine how trigger happy he is? Just seeking some clarification. Thanks big guy
Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacD
When it comes to Andre it seems to be even more tricky. Defenses will leave him open, yet he's still a reluctant shooter (not sure there's a tendency for that) resulting in him passing up on open looks
From my understanding, this is exactly what Shot IQ is for. The behavior you described would associate with a low Shot IQ.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #8
Rookie

ifeanyi18's Arena

The overall gameplay is great this year but I'm going to have to agree the tedencies are really bad. I've been blowing out warriors on HOF already multiple times and I believe it's primarily due to the tendencies. Just a lot of dumb stuff like klay taking unnecessary step back contested fadeaway mid range jumpers from 20 feet. Not just once too , happens quite a bit. Draymond taking pull up mid range shots in fast break despite being a terrible mid range shooter and having the lane/open teammates. Then in general through out most of the games I've played cpu just takes way too many contested mid range jumpers unnecessarily. CP3 taking post fadeaways from 21 feet with 15 seconds left on the clock. javale mcgee getting the ball then instantly launching mid range shots. Also seeing way too many isos and almost no pick and rolls. Harden barely if ever ran the P&R despite that being a go to in real life. The game has got way too easy for me despite me really enjoying the overall gameplay and a lot of it is the tendencies imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »