Home

2k pressuring reviewers to remove low scores?

This is a discussion on 2k pressuring reviewers to remove low scores? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: 2k pressuring reviewers to remove low scores?

Every year 2K inflates the value of VC a little bit, every year 2K reduces the amount of VC awarded and every year it feels like 2K tries to reach a little bit further making consumers pay for features.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the high-quality features of NBA 2K are probably partially due to the revenue that VC brings in as it encourages additional investment into the game. Perhaps not an additional investment in the features certain subsets of users want.

It does feel like the VC push has reached a bit of a breaking point. If the cycle continued it was inevitable that a reviewer like The Sixth Axis was going to post a very low review and if the cycle continues from here there will be more low reviews to come. Just like it's inevitable that consumers were going to get annoyed and start mass complaining about it because consumers are fickle and demanding.

@iTofutastic
PSN: iTofutastic

Last edited by iTofu; 09-25-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

If someone really wanted to go at 2K, they could start peddling that paid my team packs are close enough to gambling.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 05:22 PM   #43
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

Microtransactions in $60 games are a non-starter for a non-insignificant segment of the gaming community. I'm glad. If nobody takes that stand we'll be completely run over by microtransactions. It's egregious in this version of 2K but the game play is certainly outstanding.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #44
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTofu

It does feel like the VC push has reached a bit of a breaking point.
They've definitely reached my breaking point. I love 2K and think the game play this year is great but if they don't dial it back a notch on the microtransactions going forward i won't be purchasing the game.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #45
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelphreak
They've definitely reached my breaking point. I love 2K and think the game play this year is great but if they don't dial it back a notch on the microtransactions going forward i won't be purchasing the game.
If this game reaches it potential, i dont think anyone will even have a need to buy the next one.. 2K19 is going to increase microtransactions and get beat by their competitor, 2K18...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM   #46
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTofu
Every year 2K inflates the value of VC a little bit, every year 2K reduces the amount of VC awarded and every year it feels like 2K tries to reach a little bit further making consumers pay for features.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the high-quality features of NBA 2K are probably partially due to the revenue that VC brings in as it encourages additional investment into the game. Perhaps not an additional investment in the features certain subsets of users want.

It does feel like the VC push has reached a bit of a breaking point. If the cycle continued it was inevitable that a reviewer like The Sixth Axis was going to post a very low review and if the cycle continues from here there will be more low reviews to come. Just like it's inevitable that consumers were going to get annoyed and start mass complaining about it because consumers are fickle and demanding.
It is just the beginning unfortunately, its a symptom of I want it now and as easy as possible. It was reported that Take 2 made half a billion dollars off micro-transactions from their various games, so as long as people keep paying to upgrade their players faster companies will have a costly way to do it.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #47
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I believe patches are what makes reviewing video games so difficult at or around launch. You can't give an arguably good game a high score due to bugs/glitches; however, you can't give it a poor score due to the possibility of a patch fixing the bugs/glitches.

As a side note and after being in this thread....No Man's Sky must have been one horrible video game, lol. To me, reviewers were basically saying that post-release patches couldn't save that game.
My thoughts as well, hard to give a review nowdays, so early with all games now being basically unfinished products when 1st released. I think if they waited a 6 to 8 weeks before giving a review, that would be a much better indicator of how good a game is. Honestly most of us probably would be better off waiting 6-8 weeks before actually buying a game, due to game being unfinished products when 1st released, rather than paying to be basically beta testers,lol, but its hard to wait that long, I myself usually cant wait. And its not just NBA2k who puts out unfinished games, MLBTS also does the same thing, and these by far are the 2 best games made, as Madden pretty much sucks each yr, and why I never buy it until hearing all the flaws it has, and why Ive not bought it in probably 7yrs now.

NBA2k18 devs will likley get the issues ironed out in time, and will be by far not just the best basketball game ever made, but also the best sports game ever made period. Heck gameplay wise it already is, gameplay wise it even puts MLBTS to shame, and thats saying a lot as MLBTS each year usually has great gameplay, but IMO, NBA2k the past couple yrs has past MLBTS as far as how closely it represents its respective sport. I guess FIFA could be thrown in this group probably, but Im not a huge soccer fan, so when I buy it, I dont really noticed its flaws as much as I do with Basketball,Baseball and football, since I dont know much about soccer, like I do with the other sports.

I do think the devs of NBA2k18 deserve a tip of the cap, with how good the gameplay s this yr.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 09-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
My thoughts as well, hard to give a review nowdays, so early with all games now being basically unfinished products when 1st released. I think if they waited a 6 to 8 weeks before giving a review, that would be a much better indicator of how good a game is. Honestly most of us probably would be better off waiting 6-8 weeks before actually buying a game, due to game being unfinished products when 1st released, rather than paying to be basically beta testers,lol, but its hard to wait that long, I myself usually cant wait. And its not just NBA2k who puts out unfinished games, MLBTS also does the same thing, and these by far are the 2 best games made, as Madden pretty much sucks each yr, and why I never buy it until hearing all the flaws it has, and why Ive not bought it in probably 7yrs now.

NBA2k18 devs will likley get the issues ironed out in time, and will be by far not just the best basketball game ever made, but also the best sports game ever made period. Heck gameplay wise it already is, gameplay wise it even puts MLBTS to shame, and thats saying a lot as MLBTS each year usually has great gameplay, but IMO, NBA2k the past couple yrs has past MLBTS as far as how closely it represents its respective sport. I guess FIFA could be thrown in this group probably, but Im not a huge soccer fan, so when I buy it, I dont really noticed its flaws as much as I do with Basketball,Baseball and football, since I dont know much about soccer, like I do with the other sports.

I do think the devs of NBA2k18 deserve a tip of the cap, with how good the gameplay s this yr.
You think so? I don't think the gameplay for years now has been as immersive and fun as say 2K11-13. It just feels like picking animations to watch play out, which looks nice/perfect...but plays poorly from a user standpoint. Just my opinion though, I hate not being in control of my guys.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »