Home

Missed open shots

This is a discussion on Missed open shots within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2017, 02:58 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Missed open shots

I'll admit that I'm awful at getting greens, and I'm happy they are difficult to nail. But I miss open and wide open good releases basically constantly, with good shooters. This seems to happen more vs the cpu, but I haven't played much online. I would say good release open/wide open mid range are like 60% and 3s less than 50%.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Missed open shots

Sounds like you're shooting as well as the best shooters in the NBA. Here are the percentages the most prolific 2PT and 3PT shooters made when wide open (no defender within 6 feet) last year.

3 Point
http://stats.nba.com/players/shots-c...PerMode=Totals

Midrange
http://stats.nba.com/players/shots-c...PerMode=Totals

Not singling you out, but I don't think the gaming community at large understands what realistic field goal percentages are. Shooting a basketball is hard, and even the best players don't hit half their open jumpers. Among the 50 players who shot the most open 3s last season, the best shooters were Patty Mills (47.7%) and Tony Snell (47.6%). Klay and Curry came in 46.8% and 45.3% respectively.

As for the 50 most prolific open midrange shooters, there are a bunch of guys in the 60s and even the upper 60s, but only Nikola Jokic hit at higher than 70%. Those midrange numbers also appear to include open/breakaway dunks and very close shots because they aren't sorted by distance. So really the true open midrange percentages are likely a little lower than the chart shows.

Last edited by Nickstank; 09-29-2017 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooch66
Spoiler
I would say good release open/wide open mid range are like 60% and 3s less than 50%.
Scratching my head, wondering, then asking... what kind of percentage are you looking to hit? ... 90% for open/wide open release for good release? And 85% for open/wide open 3s?

Good release means the chances of a successful made bucket is very good, but not automatic. In my opinion, the percentages that you're getting seems fitting.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 09-29-2017, 03:52 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 2

Tony Snell?
Old 09-29-2017, 03:55 AM   #5
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

don't forget to prey after u shoot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Good release means the chances of a successful made bucket is very good, but not automatic.
I don't have a problem with shot percentages, I feel shot percentage is good, but what's quoted above does not appear to be the case.
A quick test shows that "good" releases are most likely the worst percentage shot that you can take.

A 50 shot test in my court shows that only 6 of 22 open shot "good" releases were makes. 27% on "good" releases does not seem to represent a "good" shot releases as having a higher chance of making the shot.

That doesn't mean that I want shooting to be adjusted, because I don't. If anything, I still feel shooting percentages are too high.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »