Home

Lack of Dunk Type Consistency

This is a discussion on Lack of Dunk Type Consistency within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Lack of Dunk Type Consistency

Yup exactly this. I made a thread on stick control and layups in 2K18.

2K somehow messed this up and changed how the stick controls work on 2K18. I wasn't getting the layup type that I wanted either.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
Rookie

Appreciated you guys speaking up. Didn't have this randomness in 17. It's frustrating to expect a specific dunk/layup action and get a random action. Even more so when it results in a turnover, block, or bad FG attempt. I've had a couple of times where the play ends up being a highlight offensive play but I still end up being frustrated that my action on the sticks didn't result with my intended player action. I appreciate 2K trying something different in attempt to enhance gameplay but this experiment isn't working and it needs to go back to the way it was. Let's not lose focus here guys...if you're really all about "user control" then this needs to be fixed.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
Rookie

And speaking of randomness, I've had times where I'm on a fast break with no one in front or next to me and I'm going for a dunk and my guy just lays it up. Happens very rarely but it has happened. Never had this happen last year.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
Pro

From my personal experience, if you have signature dunk packages (LeBron, Kobe, etc) they'll do random dunks instead of what you want. I've been fine with the individual packages (straight arm, back scratcher, etc)
Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
Rookie

I haven't been able to trigger signature dunks yet. I wish it was more consistent. The randomness with the individual packages occur (IMO) when you have a guy who has multiple highlight dunk packages. As noted earlier, this may be due to highlight vs driving dunk tendency (which needs to be fixed, if so). I've experienced highlight dunks (e.g., Windmills, 360s) occurring when pushing toward the basket/dominant hand. Similarly, I've also triggered layups when trying to dunk. I'd rather be stuffed by the rim or miss the dunk then not have my inputs works. This is extremely frustrating. I expect to only trigger those when I'm pushing back/away from rim. Regarding tendencies, I always thought tendency rating was more for GM mode and simulating games. If 2K is telling us we have full offensive and defensive control on the sticks, there's no reason the player I'm controling should be reacting differently then my command inputs.

Someone mentioned earlier that layups will sometimes trigger differently as well. I believe this to be specially true driving baseline. When I push toward the rim driving baseline, I typically get a reverse layup action. Based on 2Ks control scheme, this should only occur when you push toward the baseline. I can't count how many times I've been blocked because of this. This completely nurfs my ability to finish correctly and forces me to have to finish with my non-dominate hand so I can trigger a non reverse baseline layup. Please fix this 2K. You had it right last year. Stop with this randomness.

Last edited by Repituar; 10-29-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
Pro

Davon_A_Brown's Arena

It says in the tutorial that the game can now decide if a flashy dunk is necessary regardless of user input. I didn't know if that meant I'd go for a two hand dunk and get a two hand dunk with a little flare to it or a full windmill.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
Rookie

The in game tutorial? Or a user manual? Can you specify so i can check it out? This is a change from previous games. Moreover, why even have a flashy dunk option? Anytime the game is overriding my user inputs IMO is a bad idea. So much for user control.

BTW - A flashy dunk is NEVER necessary. It's nice but never needed. Just ask Jordan Bell.

Last edited by Repituar; 10-29-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2017, 04:11 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repituar
And speaking of randomness, I've had times where I'm on a fast break with no one in front or next to me and I'm going for a dunk and my guy just lays it up. Happens very rarely but it has happened. Never had this happen last year.

I was playing house rules the other day.

We got double dunks, on two fast breaks my player decides to lay it up instead of dunking the ball. That's 4 points instead of 8 and there is literally nothing I can do differently.

What makes it stupid though, is that I got a poster dunk in the same game over two guys and I really had no business getting that dunk.

So I can't dunk it when I'm by myself on a fast break, but I CAN posterize two guys in a crowded paint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »