Home

Player Overalls: How do you feel about them this year?

This is a discussion on Player Overalls: How do you feel about them this year? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Player Overalls: How do you feel about them this year?

Just checking with the community. Making a lot of draft classes this year and wanted to get an idea of how you guys like to see players ratings.

If you were to look at the current NBA players, which ones would you rate in the 90s?
Old 10-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #10
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

I really hate the "Overall" rating. All I care about is whether or not the individual ratings are right.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
Pro

Too high, 2K is playing favorites.

That is why I resort to sliders and modify the Attribute sliders across the board just to stretch it out a bit. Separate the Stephen Curry's from the Andre Roberson's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
MVP

2k should just display Offensive overall, Defensive overall, and Athleticism overall ratings.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #13
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
too high and not enough of a gap between players. I too would like a HOF scale where LeBron, Wilt, Jordan, etc. are 99 and it goes down from there.

The problem with putting intangibles at 25 is it impacts contract negotiations (for myleague/mygm) and trade value. Many (including me) believe it's sole purpose is to massage overalls to better value some players in contracts and trades.
But aren't contracts already out of whack, with #2 and #3 options on a team routinely commanding max, crowding up cap space and forcing later FA starters to sign for near nothing?

I thought some guys were using this tactic to try to help distribute contract values more evenly throughout a roster, so that some guys actually have mid range contracts for non star starters and role players.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #14
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
too high and not enough of a gap between players. I too would like a HOF scale where LeBron, Wilt, Jordan, etc. are 99 and it goes down from there.

The problem with putting intangibles at 25 is it impacts contract negotiations (for myleague/mygm) and trade value. Many (including me) believe it's sole purpose is to massage overalls to better value some players in contracts and trades.

I too would like a true HOF scale, but we will never see that with this game, because these gys at NBA2k are too star struck, and worry about upsetting players. If some of these clowns in the league actually got the rating they deserve, they would probably try to stop them from using their likeness

I seen a post by Dczar, that said something about being careful not to drop a rating to much, or it would impact something negative, I just cant remember where I saw him say that, or if it was a attribute or a tendency rating. So might want to be careful lowering a rating all the way down for every player.

There definitely needs to be bigger gaps between players in overalls. I really thought, when they started adding badges, this would really improve the game and overalls, to where you would see wider overall gaps, yet that player may be rated a 54 overall, but he would perform like his real life self. Basically a player, who i dimensional, like a player you bring who can shoot, but is poor at everything else, or that great defender like say a Tony Allen, who is a major liability for you on offense, but you can cant on him to lockdown a player.
What was a great idea, ended up being so miss used, along with over inflated overalls, that to have a realistic Association, you need to rerate the whole darn League.

Im glad NBA2k allows us to edit ratings and and such, because atleast we can make the adjustments needed, unlike the Live, so I am greatful for that, but I do wish they would they would accurately rate players, and not worry about what a player might say about it. I think Social media is probably the culprit to why ratings have gotten worse and not better, as you thought they may once they hired some guys from this site

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 10-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #15
Pro

Like most things in this game, they won't explain to us what Intangibles actually do. So in spite of the speculation of the effects changing those ratings could have on contract negotiations, player salaries, and whatever other random nonsense that rating could account for, I decided to put Intangibles at 50 for every current NBA player.

This achieves two things...first, player overalls are suppressed a bit, which is mainly cosmetic but still seems more realistic than the overalls the base roster. Second, it shows a player's "true" rating when compared to everyone else in the league. By leveling out the Intangibles rating, you get a better idea of their "raw" rating without manipulation. Here's what that leaves you with:

-7 Players rated 90 or above (LBJ, Kawhi, Durant, Wesbtrook, Harden, Curry & Anthony Davis)
-Only 4 at 91 or above
-LBJ, Kawhi and Durant lead the way at 93 overall
-Many more players end up with ratings in the high 60s and low 70s

I'm happy with my decision to make the edit, especially since I've seen others talking about how contract negotiations and salaries aren't exactly a strength of MyLeague. If this affects that, so be it. Having all Intangibles at 50 creates a very nice dividing line in my eyes. Everyone 90 or above is a superstar. Everyone below that isn't on that superstar level just yet (Giannis, KAT, Wall, and Paul George are all 87-89 OVR). The lone exception is Chris Paul, who sits at 89 OVR but to me is on that superstar tier as he's the best point guard of this generation and an elite player at both ends of the floor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #16
Pro

Just keep one thing in mind... if myleague results are what you are going for, be aware of Peak start and peak end... you could edit the overalls but then watch them all increase again each year as you advance in my league

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »