Home

Can we talk about Strength vs Speed?

This is a discussion on Can we talk about Strength vs Speed? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-04-2017, 11:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Can we talk about Strength vs Speed?

Particularly in relation to Park games.
So I've made 2 MyPlayers already, both at 80 OVR.
7'3 300lb Pure Rim Protector Center (a few silver and bronze badges)
6'5 175lb Slasher/Defense PG - 7 or so max badges (silver and bronze)

I made my C 300 lb because I remember from 2K17 that was the minimum weight to get max strength.

I really was thinking Strength was important this year (though it really wasn't last year either), but I constantly get pitted against SFs and Guards. I get players running around me and I have to really get back on D very early. Would it help to come down to lowest weight but stay 7'3? I like being really tall and getting blocks. Or should I come down to 6'11-7'1ish and minimum weight?

I just haven't seen too many situations to necessitate being heavy and having strength.

Problem is both players are at 80 OVR now and I feel like it's too much of a grind. clothes don't carry over so I've been hesitant to even get those after my first player.

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 10-04-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2017, 01:04 AM   #2
Pro

Mbunn1993's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Can we talk about Strength vs Speed?

I'm 7'3", max weight finisher/rebounder, and I can back down and dunk on anybody with ease except pure rim protectors and I can keep up full court as much as smaller bigs for the most part, and with good stick control I still play really solid perimeter defense

Pros of max height/max or high weight far outweighs the cons imo

Strength is a big factor
Old 10-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #3
Pro

I made a 6'5 Guard with minimum weight. I hold my own in Park but it's not easy at times. I get some of the worse animations on defense when trying to prevent my matchup from driving to the rim. If I could redo it I'd definitely max his weight out. I see no difference in max weight vs minimum weight this year in regards to speed. The bigger players get up and down the court just as good as the smaller players. Strength is a different story though.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
Banned

I fell into a trap by believing that strength matters this year. For the most part, it really doesn't with few exceptions like post scorers and glass cleaners.

If you a guard and not a pure lockdown defender then there is no reason to be heavy.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

I think athletic finishing big men should get a lot more athleticism then they have.

Porzingis is 7’3” and is a really fast player for his size and he has nearly a 40 inch vertical. In 2k i’m pretty sure his speed rating is somewhere in the 70s, however he’s only around 230-240 pounds.

Shaq was probably anywhere between 340-360 pounds towards the peak of his career, but before the early 2000s hit he was only around 320 and was very fast and athletic for his size as well. His speed in 2k is around a 68 with his vertical in the 80s.

Last edited by VAWereWolf65; 10-05-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993
I'm 7'3", max weight finisher/rebounder, and I can back down and dunk on anybody with ease except pure rim protectors and I can keep up full court as much as smaller bigs for the most part, and with good stick control I still play really solid perimeter defense

Strength is a big factor
340 pound guys can't keep up with my 300 pound guy. I'm always first to get under the rim and dunk.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Pro

nyk_fatboy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993

Strength is a big factor
it really is i have a 7'3 300 pound rebound/atheltic like 88 ovr im working on my 7'3 340 rebound/atheltic even that little bit of strength equals a huge difference and i can already see the size difference and backdown difference (yes even at 300) i struggled backing down at times but at 340 its a breeze, im more powerful in the paint, pinning players, and i dont get moved around etc etc

people might think im weird for doing the exact same build over for the max weight but its definitely worth it especially for my playstyle. e

Last edited by nyk_fatboy; 10-05-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
I think athletic finishing big men should get a lot more speed then they have.

Porzingis is 7’3” and is a really fast player for his size. In 2k i’m pretty sure his speed rating is somewhere in the 70s, however he’s only around 230-240 pounds.

Shaq was probably anywhere between 340-360 pounds towards the peak of his career, but before the early 2000s hit he was only around 320 and was very fast and athletic for his size
I made my player with shaq in mind. He is a pure finisher 7'3 300 pound and his speed is 48 with 24 bars out of 25 maxed.

There is a whole another issue with the bars that is another topic. Some builds 20 bars = 80 speed meanwhile other builds it takes 15 bars to get 85 speed. There is absolutely no consistency to this madness.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »