Home

Basketball IQ Within Community?

This is a discussion on Basketball IQ Within Community? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2017, 09:47 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Basketball IQ Within Community?

Not adding anything worthy to the thread, but I find it ironic that the players you guys complain about (for good reasons) are probably saying you guys are low IQ players as well, regardless of how you played unless you had monster stats.

But I think guys get on pro am and do what they would do in real life, in an unorganized type of ball. Rarely do you see people who've never played together play any type of organized type of game. It's usually a very fast uptempo, fast breaking, ball hogging game, especially playing full court.

I honestly hate playing with random people in real life because they attempt to play with any knowledge of basketball and everyone wants to be Kobe. There's no screening, one or two passes, no post ups, and generally no thought about how to play cohesively beyond a me first mentality. I think it's more of an atmosphere thing than anything else. I wonder how guys would play if they were in nba jerseys inside a real stadium, with 20,000 fans in the audience. You'd think that wouldn't matter, but you'd be surprised.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-09-2017, 01:16 AM   #18
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

2K markets the game to kids via YouTube, ergo the game is populated by kids who watch cheesers on YouTube.

It's why Play Now Online is probably the best game mode this year, you're not reliant on anyone other than yourself and the difficulty is set higher than other modes.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porren
Being a lifelong coach, I get what you mean. Especially the "just a game" argument. But to me it's the platonic story of the man in the cave all over

I wish i had a group of irl ballers to play with. I don't see a team like that would lose many games. Clock management alone is enough in most games already

A few sets and some higher level zone d could do a lot of damage
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
I kinda have this and which is why I feel spoiled at times and hate playing park and pro-am with randoms. We don't call plays each possession but we essentially do a freestyle offense based off horns.

On defense we zone if needed but for the most part we're very good and comfortable with rotating and calling out switches and stuff.
I think a few of us guys with some basketball IQ should team up and see if we can do some damage. I run with a couple of guys in PlayGround that have very little IQ. I showed them a couple of basic things last night and we gave a few teams with 5+ streaks a lot of trouble. I've never had a group of 5 that really understood what they were doing, but I think it could be very enjoyable.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:37 AM   #20
Rookie

fzdoom's Arena

OVR: 1

The Playground/ Pro Am is just filled with Hero Ball. There is no ball movement. If someone does happen to pass to me and i miss the first shot then i pretty much won't see the ball again.

I have a mic and all i say before the game is "Move the ball and we will win".

No one has taken my advice yet.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdoom
The Playground/ Pro Am is just filled with Hero Ball. There is no ball movement. If someone does happen to pass to me and i miss the first shot then i pretty much won't see the ball again.

I have a mic and all i say before the game is "Move the ball and we will win".

No one has taken my advice yet.
I like to be more of a facilitator on offense and it's frustrating for this very reason playing online. I couldn't care less how many points I score, I'd rather make the good pass, play good defense and then take the good looks I get when I get them. Tried to play some park games last night with random and lost due to people not passing, just jacking up ill advised shots and not playing their assignments on defense. 2 games in succession I scored the entirety of my team's points out of necessity, not the way I like to play.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #22
Rookie

dahlzy19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEality
Hey all, I just wanted to start a discussion on basketball iq because I play 2K EVERYDAY, hours and hours. And I come across very few people who have any type of basketball iq. People love to resort to "its just a game", but if that's the case, why are people so pressed with it being so realistic in the areas of player modeling, signature playstyle/likeness?

I know for a few of us, 2K is our way to be involved with the NBA world and have the direct impact of the way things go virtually. So to me its weird that people still don't adopt the skill needed to ultimately successful. I mean to me, it's just much more enjoyable playing "the right way". Being "2K" good or having stick skills does matter, but if you only have those and no BBall IQ. You're equivalent to having talent, without the intangibles and skill. Or maybe it's vice versa, having the skill but not the natural talent. ANd as we see with the greatest, most of them had the natural ability and worked hard to gain the skills in order to maximize their dominance....

I just wish there was a way to make it less enjoyable without the required skill, doesn't sound fair. But it's really annoying playing online (Teamup, ProAm, Park) and no one knows any style of play but leaking out for easy scores, or setting screens at the top of the key. It's like none knows what spacing is, or that you don't set on ball screens in the corner. Most don't understand how to play defense, it's not that hard. I'm not making myself out to be perfect. But I always play a smart game.... What do you guys think about the people you play against and alongside?
Sorry if this a stupid question, I grew up playing hockey so I'm not extremely basketball savvy when it comes to plays and such. I never played. Why no on ball screens in the corner? I'm assuming because there is no space and it's an easy double team?

I definitely agree with what you're saying though. This is the reason I stick to MyLeague, especially with the outstanding offline gameplay this year (highly recommend Armor's sliders).

Last edited by dahlzy19; 10-09-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-09-2017, 12:34 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlzy19
Sorry if this a stupid question, I grew up playing hockey so I'm not extremely basketball savvy when it comes to plays and such. I never played. Why no on ball screens in the corner? I'm assuming because there is no space and it's an easy double team?

I definitely agree with what you're saying though. This is the reason I stick to MyLeague, especially with the outstanding offline gameplay this year (highly recommend Armor's sliders).
You are correct. An easy ICE of the screen forces the ball handler to the baseline, which is essentially an extra defender.

The only way the really works is if there has been a screen set for the ball screener (See Iverson sets, the Corner offense, etc.) If the screeners defender is trailing him, on ball ICE would give a direct line to the basket.

Iverson Sets:http://team.fastmodelsports.com/2017...-iverson-sets/

Icing the ball screen:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te4svk4vm1I&t=186s
Old 10-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #24
MVP

If any of you guys want to run some PlayGround games or do some Pro-Am, feel free to message me on PS4. Gamertag is the same as my OS name.

I don't claim to be the best player in the world, nor are my ratings super high. But I play smart, and know where to be on the floor, which makes up for that ratings gap.

As was talking about earlier, I teamed up with two guys yesterday (I know them personally) one was an 85 OVR and the other an 78 OVR. We were neck and neck with 85+ rated players simply because they understood hedging, switching, and rotating on defense. It resulted in alot of contested shots and those guys were struggling to score on us.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »