Home

Basketball IQ Within Community?

This is a discussion on Basketball IQ Within Community? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Basketball IQ Within Community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24ct
Dude. Ppl play this game because it's a video game. Not because they have great basketball IQ. Even NBA players that play basketball their whole entire lives have terrible basketball IQ.

The notion that just because ppl play a basketball game means they should have great basketball IQ is really crazy to me. Like, I don't understand why ppl think that everyone should have a great IQ playing a video game. I for 1 played basketball a lot growing up and studied to be better so by choice I have a good bball IQ and understand certain things a person who didn't play or study would.

But I would never sit and think that because these ppl are playing a basketball game that they should have a great bball IQ. That's like playing COD or BF4 and wanting ppl to know what it means to flank or other specific war tactics. Like at the end of the day its a video game and I think some of you guys need to tone down your expectations of randoms when playing with or against them.

Ppl turn this game on for fun. Fun for some is shooting and dribbling the ball. What you may think is low IQ is just them having fun so you can't knock them for it, or expect them to know any better. Having a high basketball IQ is not common knowledge and players in the NBA often have low basketball IQ themselves.
I think the conversation has gotten out of hand from having a real bball iq to just having common sense when approaching basketball to share the ball with your teammates and not jack up the worst possible shot. It's fine when you're playing by yourself, but when you're online with other teammates wanting to win, we expect some common decency not to screw us over by doing stupid things.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #34
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Quote:
Dude. Ppl play this game because it's a video game. Not because they have great basketball IQ. Even NBA players that play basketball their whole entire lives have terrible basketball IQ.

The notion that just because ppl play a basketball game means they should have great basketball IQ is really crazy to me. Like, I don't understand why ppl think that everyone should have a great IQ playing a video game. I for 1 played basketball a lot growing up and studied to be better so by choice I have a good bball IQ and understand certain things a person who didn't play or study would.

But I would never sit and think that because these ppl are playing a basketball game that they should have a great bball IQ. That's like playing COD or BF4 and wanting ppl to know what it means to flank or other specific war tactics. Like at the end of the day its a video game and I think some of you guys need to tone down your expectations of randoms when playing with or against them.

Ppl turn this game on for fun. Fun for some is shooting and dribbling the ball. What you may think is low IQ is just them having fun so you can't knock them for it, or expect them to know any better. Having a high basketball IQ is not common knowledge and players in the NBA often have low basketball IQ themselves.
More like it's just people who are selfish in real life and it's reflected in their gameplay by jacking up every shot.

If you want to do that **** and try be a hero, stick to the single player modes. I'm a pure playmaker who loves passing yet if I never get the ball in order to set people up then what's the point?

The gameplay by randoms in park just sums up how selfish society in general is to me.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover
More like it's just people who are selfish in real life and it's reflected in their gameplay by jacking up every shot.

If you want to do that **** and try be a hero, stick to the single player modes. I'm a pure playmaker who loves passing yet if I never get the ball in order to set people up then what's the point?

The gameplay by randoms in park just sums up how selfish society in general is to me.
My point exactly.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #36
Pro

For anyone on Xbox and wanting to play good team basketball message me.
We have a 6 man group of guys but at least 2 of them aren't very active, so we're looking for a few good TEAMmates.

XBL: Tony Two Steps

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by awg811; 10-14-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #37
MVP

ph33's Arena

People are incredibly stupid sometimes. Thankfully, that involves most of my opponents. Easy wins!

I've played with guys who just take contested shot and moving shot. "Why did you take that with 15 seconds on the clock?"

"I have a contested rating of 90 something!"

You dumb *** -_-

Honestly though, I'm not sure people are as selfish as I thought they were---I think some people just don't get it. You go on actual basketball forums and people have some of the most whack opinions about real life basketball that I've ever seen. It's not surprising that it translates when they start playing a game.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:

fair enough...but there is a LOT of middle ground between being a basketball savant and playing like you've never picked up a ball or watched an NBA game in your life....some of these players are friggen awful and i'm not sure how they could be having fun when playing so bad and losing all the time...but, i understand your point for the most part....the game is supposed to be fun first and foremost....but if you want to jack and have an iso fest....play mycareer....that style simply does NOT translate to winning even in 2k...not sure how losing all the time and shooting 2/9 can be fun ya know?
Old 10-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #39
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10

When talking about basketball IQ its not about being able to run plays or know advance schemes but its just basic fundamentals like if someone is open pass the ball lol. Or on defense if someone had to help and cover your guy rotate over to the open man. I don't think thats asking for much. If more people could do just that in drop ins, it would be much more enjoyable.

Last edited by infam0us; 10-14-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:42 PM   #40
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
People are incredibly stupid sometimes. Thankfully, that involves most of my opponents. Easy wins!

I've played with guys who just take contested shot and moving shot. "Why did you take that with 15 seconds on the clock?"

"I have a contested rating of 90 something!"

You dumb *** -_-

Honestly though, I'm not sure people are as selfish as I thought they were---I think some people just don't get it. You go on actual basketball forums and people have some of the most whack opinions about real life basketball that I've ever seen. It's not surprising that it translates when they start playing a game.

Yeah Ive seen some pretty stupid comments from people who call themselves diehard fans, in not just basketball forums, but any sports forum. Thru the yrs I have spent alot of time on the Cincinnati Reds forums on MLB homepage, and I use to think it was just Cubs fans who were clueless fools for the most part, but I found out my team also has some moronic fans with some of the comments Ive seen thru the yrs. Every sport has it clueless fools who think they know more than anyone, including the coach's and managers
I have no desire to play online, but I can only imagine how frustrating it can be for those who do have a good understanding of that sport, having to deal with stupidity of some of these clowns. Its 1 thing to just not be good at the game, but its a whole nother deal when you have to deal with incompetent people who have no understanding when it comes to floor spacing, help D, etc.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »