Home

Physicality In & Around the Paint is Severely Lacking

This is a discussion on Physicality In & Around the Paint is Severely Lacking within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Physicality In & Around the Paint is Severely Lacking

This also leads to really bad interactions and cheese like setting a pick and shuffling into the paint in order to prevent anyone from bodying you up for an easy dunk. It's kind of counterable, but if you make one wrong move as the defender you'll hit the pick and lose precious time trying to regain position.

Also people able to cancel drag animations while the defender is stuck in it gives you more positional advantage on the offense that is very difficult to deal with.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
2k17 had a lot of off ball contact to the point that running plays sometimes took forever. If 2k had just sped up those contact animations and made a point of adding animations that indicated that the offensive player was trying to fight thru that contact the game would have been incredible in that aspect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Looking back at some of the 2K17 footage I have, I think the off-ball contact was significantly stronger during set plays than it was during the freelance action. Not sure if that was intentionally done by 2K or not.
The contact was bad. I remember getting 3 second calls. While calling a play lol
Old 10-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
The contact was bad. I remember getting 3 second calls. While calling a play lol
This is the biggest problem when you create that contact in the paint. The players get kijd of stuck together, almost like suction blocking in Madden. And three seconds is called on the offense as the player is just trying to get to his "spot" to run the play.

I love this post and agree. However there has to be quick animations to still allow the offensive player to get out of the lane at least.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...FogGcUlqoCYDTg

Last edited by DarthRambo; 10-10-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
This is the biggest problem when you create that contact in the paint. The players get kijd of stuck together, almost like suction blocking in Madden. And three seconds is called on the offense as the player is just trying to get to his "spot" to run the play.

I love this post and agree. However there has to be quick animations to still allow the offensive player to get out of the lane at least.
I'm not saying it was perfect before in 2K17 (I had my fair share of frustrating 3 in the key calls), but it's MUCH more realistic than it is now. Players walking freely into the paint just isn't a thing in the NBA. It's causing points in the paint and offensive rebounds to be completely out of whack right now.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I want to say upfront this is how we should post about changing things. Not Ranting. Thank you!

Just like you I'm really happy they opening up the outside game.

I agree with what your saying. There needs to be a few more changes when it comes to the paint. But I think this is a result of them opening it up. The paint needs a few adjustments like you said.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
truthfully i dont think they can fix the paint. due to the fact all player models are setup with the same forcefield around them that says these are the parts of the body that are solid and need to be respected by the other player running into you. the reason you can blow by guys on the perimeter is because we're actually going partially THRU them(clipping.) someone else wrote about this before. you are clipping more often in 2k18 than I've seen a very long time. That clipping is allowing you to get your shoulder beyond your defender quicker/easier because you're actually going partially Thru the person vs around them.

That same clipping/slipping thru guys stuff applies to all players on the court. not just the perimeter. post players too.if they change one they have to change them all. This is the problem when you fix something without actually using physics as a base. you instead try to nerf the ability of the defender to ride the offensive player. when in reality you should actually make it so that a guys first step will give him that speed to get around the defender. unless of course the defender gives you a step and steps back at the right angle to cut you off.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa

Those 3 second calls are for two reasons. a canned animation with one guy holding you up and 2k not allowing you to spin out of that like you use to be pre 2k17. remember the off ball controls?

and the other issue is with people posting up in the paint. thats your fault. this isnt playground ball. you're suppose to post up above the block. but rarely do you see anyone in 2k doing that. everyone wants to rim run and post up directly at the basket in the paint. so if someone impedes your progress you would get stuck for a 3 sec violation.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #15
Pro

Another issue with paint defense, that may have already been mentioned, is that you can be in perfect defensive position and then just be magically moved out of the way so that the offensive player can score. Even as a defensive build.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2017, 03:23 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
Another issue with paint defense, that may have already been mentioned, is that you can be in perfect defensive position and then just be magically moved out of the way so that the offensive player can score. Even as a defensive build.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app

i'm glad i'm not going COMPLETELY insane as i've noticed this too.......they really made defending the paint almost impossible without a little bit of help this year...i've had some success but bigs seem to get position with ease and SO many shots that i've had a good contest on go in...like 90% of good shot contests go in....it's maddening

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »