Home

This needs to stop NOW!!!!'

This is a discussion on This needs to stop NOW!!!!' within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2017, 11:13 PM   #41
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: This needs to stop NOW!!!!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
That's the chess match of it all, just like you should be able to get the ball for a 3 and either fake someone into running into you before you shoot, or fake someone into the air and get 3 fts. It happens in the NBA.

The shot fake should be a weapon, not a set up. If you fake someone into a full jump in the NBA, you are probably getting a foul, or they are going right around you for the dunk.

It's not 'balanced' if, say you jump and you can defend 50% of the space in the air, forcing the other person to not only do a fake, but make a certain move, especially because people can still if not block it contest it so it misses. There needs to be a mechanic that stops people from just jumping.

Getting pump faked up in the post is kind of like getting your ankles broken on the perimeter. There should be many options of what to do, and arguably the game should intuitively decide that you're not gonna just go up into the guys body, just like it intuitively decides that you're not gonna jump away from the guy when you press block.

-Smak
That's the thing. It's isn't the game deciding here. The user has 2 options here. Wait for the defender to go by or use the other hand. The 3 option of the foul has been removed. And if you miss time this the penalty is the animation the OP gets in his video. The only way the defender succeeds here is if the offense of player fails. I think making this a foul as seen already becomes dangerous for humans looking to exploit the system. And I that's what happens in real life here. It's a foul. No doubt in anyone's mind on that. I'm not victim blaming here. I'm definitely not saying it's right either. Should they come up with a better solution. Hell yeah! But I'm ok with them putting it all in the offense users hands if he fails or not. (When say fail. I'm talking about once the defender is in the air.)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-09-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 2

Long time 2K'er, sporadic poster and full time grumpy old man - for mine, this is the single least realistic thing in 2K, year on year, when compared with actual basketball and human mechanics.

I understand we can't mimic real life exactly because it's a video game, but the fact you can jump around on defense like a maniac with little risk of - a) committing a foul b) allowing the easiest of easy baskets or c) ploughing into the stands - is a huge departure from real basketball.

If someone comes careening out to the corner and leaps into an offensive player who has a live dribble, both of them should spill into the front row. If someone leaps at fake in the post and comes down on top of the offensive player, both of them should crumple into a heap. Hell, if someone leaves their feet and lands on 3 guys, because they are jumping around like a moron in the paint, they should cause themselves or someone an injury.

Instead, in 2K, the defender essentially gets a bonus for obstructing the offensive player and time to recover - or even gets a steal or a block because they "win" the collision.

Noted that skilled players - 24th, jeebs - can work around jumping dudes for baskets. The tips are appreciated. That we have to deal with it - this far into the series - is dumb and frustrating. The onus should be on the defender to play proper defense
Old 10-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #43
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32MJ32
Long time 2K'er, sporadic poster and full time grumpy old man - for mine, this is the single least realistic thing in 2K, year on year, when compared with actual basketball and human mechanics.

I understand we can't mimic real life exactly because it's a video game, but the fact you can jump around on defense like a maniac with little risk of - a) committing a foul b) allowing the easiest of easy baskets or c) ploughing into the stands - is a huge departure from real basketball.

If someone comes careening out to the corner and leaps into an offensive player who has a live dribble, both of them should spill into the front row. If someone leaps at fake in the post and comes down on top of the offensive player, both of them should crumple into a heap. Hell, if someone leaves their feet and lands on 3 guys, because they are jumping around like a moron in the paint, they should cause themselves or someone an injury.

Instead, in 2K, the defender essentially gets a bonus for obstructing the offensive player and time to recover - or even gets a steal or a block because they "win" the collision.

Noted that skilled players - 24th, jeebs - can work around jumping dudes for baskets. The tips are appreciated. That we have to deal with it - this far into the series - is dumb and frustrating. The onus should be on the defender to play proper defense
2k has handled this a couple fo different ways.

2K16- Making these automatic fouls. If a guy jumped at you in the paint or on the perimeter you'd go into a 'draw the foul' animation where you would go into a shot.

2K17- Allowing the contact to happen with no call. Guys could jump at you in the the post or on the perimeter and actually cause you to stumble back and lose position with no foul call made...

So here we are at 2K18- I feel like think the new movement system has allowed us to easily side step the wild perimeter jumps and finish around guys...but the ball is tangible when going for a shot during their jumping sequence

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 10-10-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #44
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

2K16- Making these automatic fouls. If a guy jumped at you in the paint or on the perimeter you'd go into a 'draw the foul' animation where you would go into a shot.

2K17- Allowing the contact to happen with no call. Guys could jump at you in the the post or on the perimeter and actually cause you to stumble back and lose position with no foul call made...

So here we are at 2K18- I feel like think the new movement system has allowed us to easily side step the wild perimeter jumps and finish around guys...but the ball is tangible when going for a shot during their jumping sequence
I hate to keep saying it. But... Exactly! Great post.

I know we want fouls there. But it was bad. I have nightmares of that user using that Celtic team and taking Rondo under the rim to post up and try to get the and 1 animation triggered​ over and over. I'm sure the only reason this user was using it. Was because people kept jumping and getting the and1 animation. This was in the NBA league in 2k16.

The worst part about this. Was this guy instead of using Ray Allen, Paul Pierce or even KG. This guy used their second to worst FT shooter in the starting line up to trigger this animation LMAO. He quit. But I can't imagine how many others quit so he could make it to NBA league in PNO.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-10-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:59 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

You guys are still missing the point of my initial video. How many times do I have to tell you I made the correct input. I pointed my right stick away from the defender. It didn't matter, 2k had already prejudged what was going to happen and put me in an animation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2017, 01:03 AM   #46
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by barond57
You guys are still missing the point of my initial video. How many times do I have to tell you I made the correct input. I pointed my right stick away from the defender. It didn't matter, 2k had already prejudged what was going to happen and put me in an animation.
Your video, you can see the timing is off. You start to go in to the defender because you pressed left or towards the rim.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:07 AM   #47
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:

This says it all for me. Every play can't be in favor of the offense when the offense has so much control than the defender. I don't have the option of jumping for the block and making a different input to avoid the foul. Once I hit the button, I'm committed.

The offense player can go left, go right, jump into the defender, wait, etc. For the record, why is the offense the victim? If the player didn't spin back into the defender, the defender would have sailed by. To me, the offense player has way too many options available to them to be worrying about "nerfing" blocks. Giving up the foul would be rewarding the offense a bad input.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 AM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Your video, you can see the timing is off. You start to go in to the defender because you pressed left or towards the rim.

I did not. That is the base of my argument. I made the right play but 2k rewarded the player who should have been punished for going into the air.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »