Home

Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

This is a discussion on Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #17
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
Here's the thing: ALL NBA players can make 3 pointers at a pretty decent clip...when they're in the practice gym with no pressure on them whatsoever, and after getting into a rhythm with repetitions. I'm sure we all know that NBA players are all much more skilled than they get to show---it's just that in an NBA game, you can only afford to bring your very best to the table because you're playing against a professional defense, and having to do something in the flow of a game is a hell of a lot harder than doing it in workout setting.

I think this game needs to take game pressure into account. People do get hot, so I think those crazy good performances should still be allowed to happen on occasion (IF you are taking good shots and get into a good flow). But when somebody is open in this game, the game treats "open" like you're in a practice gym with no one around you. And that's just not how it is in an actual NBA game.

TL;DR: The best shooters can make 3s at an unreal rate when they're getting their reps in practice. But in a game setting, it's not happening because your shots will come here and there, you don't have the luxury of settling down and getting into a rhythm in the same spots, and you're slightly fatigued from having to play defense. And I don't think this game takes those factors into account as much as it should.
I've been struggling, thinking about what I wanted to say in this thread because I agree, but at the same time understand Dwayne Wade getting hot from 3 isnt out of the realm of possibility....This about sums it up.

Hopefully we can stop Shaq from hitting 3's without nuking 3 point shooting altogether....

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 10-15-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhere
I'm hitting open 3's from the corner on HoF with Shaun Livingston at a clip of 50%. This is a guy who, over the whole of his career, has taken 66!!! 3 Pointers (that's 66 3 Pointers in nearly 700 games, averaging out at 0,1 tries per game, of which he converted 13, making him a 0.197 shooter) yet for some unbelieveable reason he, firstly, has a 50 3 Point rating which is absurd but also shows that everyone who complains about shooting (in the sense that apparently it's too hard) is dead wrong.

If I can go a full season of 82 games with a player rated 50 in 3s and drain nearly 45% of my 3s with him on about 5-6 attemps a game, then anybody who can't shoot simply sucks at the game. This needs to be fixed ASAP!
They won’t online at least. It will be like last year where they’ll have realistic sliders for shooting offline but allow guys like Livingston to hit 3’s online.

Last year I believe the 3pt slider had to be at 39 for realistic percentages
Old 10-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
They won’t online at least. It will be like last year where they’ll have realistic sliders for shooting offline but allow guys like Livingston to hit 3’s online.

Last year I believe the 3pt slider had to be at 39 for realistic percentages
Which is idiotic . The problem with the offline nerving is that they probably only nerve it for your side while the opponent keeps hitting shots, which is why last year I had to play on Superstar for the first time in years. The defense of your team was so bad and the shooting got so rubbish in the end that everything had to run perfect to win with a team that didn't feature like an Allstar 3 point shooting cast.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #20
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

I think this is the most realistic 2K game to date.

Offline player only, superstar difficulty level..

I can consistently beat the AI on SS level, and I do lose on occasion as well. I have two major gripes with this game on the gameplay side ..

AI offensive rebounding and the easy putbacks they get from it.

My biggest gripe is the damn AI shooting. I understand if a guy is open, the shot has a much higher success rate of going in, but the clip at which poor shooters drain shot after shot is maddening.

I should be able to sag of Andre Roberson from the 3 point line and expect him to miss the shot, same goes for a guy like Tony Allen or MKG.

Too often do bad shooters make shots they have no business even attempting. When MKG or Roberson can go 3-6 or 4-7 from the 3 point line in the game, that’s a problem, I don’t care how wide open they are.

I’m all for the AI staying competitive, but each game is developing a theme. Myself or the CPU goes on a huge run, then all of a sudden, the winning side can’t hit anything, while the loser goes on some 16-5 or 22-4 run to take the lead or tie the game.

It’s like there can never be blowouts in this game. No matter what if you or the AI has a 15-20 point lead, its going to be cut close in a matter of minutes.

Not every game needs to go down to the wire, blowouts are more than fine every once and a while. Anyone else seeing this or am I crazy and paranoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
It’s like there can never be blowouts in this game. No matter what if you or the AI has a 15-20 point lead, its going to be cut close in a matter of minutes.

Not every game needs to go down to the wire, blowouts are more than fine every once and a while. Anyone else seeing this or am I crazy and paranoid?
Yea, that's definitely been noticeable for a long time in 2k basketball games. It also seems to me that this effect is rarely enough to get the losing team over the hump, just enough to stress me out a ton along the way to the (hopefully) W.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 PM   #22
Tiger Paw

tyberious4now's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm more concerned about cpu players not being substituted out when they have 5 fouls in the freaking first qtr...why just why?
Old 10-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #23
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I’m all for the AI staying competitive, but each game is developing a theme. Myself or the CPU goes on a huge run, then all of a sudden, the winning side can’t hit anything, while the loser goes on some 16-5 or 22-4 run to take the lead or tie the game.

You're not crazy or paranoid. That is exactly how every. single. one of my games has played out so far. This is not hyperbole. All of my games play out like this, every single one of them. There is no such thing as a lead in NBA 2K18, because any lead, no matter how big, can and does get cut down in a matter of minutes. The scripting is out of control in this game.

As for the topic, I definitely agree. Aside from those guys being able to consistently sink threes, one of the biggest signs that shooting is wonky in NBA 2K18 is that even if those bad to mediocre shooters do miss, they will just keep jacking up shots. I once sagged off Ingram (who has an average 73 open shot three rating) and he went 4 for 16 from deep. Same thing with Chandler Parsons (rated 70), who went 3 for 12; and with Jeremy Lamb (also rated 70), going 4 for 13. Tyreke Evans is a decent shooter, to be fair, but he should not be attempting NINETEEN THREES IN A SINGLE GAME against me. It's unbelievable, really. It's either a problem with bad tendencies or the CPU shooting logic going haywire for some reason. If it's a tendencies problem, then maybe custom rosters could correct this. Either way, this wasn't an issue in NBA 2K17, so I have no idea why it's such a major problem here.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX1329
You're not crazy or paranoid. That is exactly how every. single. one of my games has played out so far. This is not hyperbole. All of my games play out like this, every single one of them. There is no such thing as a lead in NBA 2K18, because any lead, no matter how big, can and does get cut down in a matter of minutes. The scripting is out of control in this game.
What is the story here? I know that's a loaded question but I mean, what exactly is happening that allows teams to almost always erase a deficit? Have we ever confirmed what logic is making this happen? Does the CPU just tighten up their defense or do they actually get better as the game goes on?

I've been feeling it, too. I just can't put my finger on what's happening. I feel like I'm playing the same way but the other side just gets better to some degree. I've had many 15-20 point leads dwindle after a team suddenly transforms. I know those types of things happen in real life sometimes, but it feels like clock work here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »