Home

Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

This is a discussion on Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #41
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshunleon
Against the CPU, the CPU shoots better than their rating.

I played 2 games, both players 3 was 60, and I left them open for lightly contested shots and both shot 50%, 3-6 and 4-8. All of their shots were 3 seconds left in the shot clock.
Sounds more like shot clock cheese to me. An issue that's been around for a long time now. This is offline play for me btw

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
I think this is the most realistic 2K game to date.

Offline player only, superstar difficulty level..

I can consistently beat the AI on SS level, and I do lose on occasion as well. I have two major gripes with this game on the gameplay side ..

AI offensive rebounding and the easy putbacks they get from it.

My biggest gripe is the damn AI shooting. I understand if a guy is open, the shot has a much higher success rate of going in, but the clip at which poor shooters drain shot after shot is maddening.

I should be able to sag of Andre Roberson from the 3 point line and expect him to miss the shot, same goes for a guy like Tony Allen or MKG.

Too often do bad shooters make shots they have no business even attempting. When MKG or Roberson can go 3-6 or 4-7 from the 3 point line in the game, that’s a problem, I don’t care how wide open they are.

I’m all for the AI staying competitive, but each game is developing a theme. Myself or the CPU goes on a huge run, then all of a sudden, the winning side can’t hit anything, while the loser goes on some 16-5 or 22-4 run to take the lead or tie the game.
This so much. On top of the offensive rebound and unstoppable putback issues, Andre Roberson shoots like he's Kyle Korver while my AI defenders leave him like they should because he's a bad shooter.

He shoots like 50% on threes and even got player of the game once dropping bombs. He shoots 24% in real life.

It's unfortunate the more sophisticated CPU AI is locked behind Superstar or higher, because Superstar does not provide anything resembling realistic shooting from the CPU, which drastically kills realism and realistic strategy. I know the guys behind the offensive and defensive systems want sim as much as we do, but I have a hard time understanding how they can test on Superstar, see bad AI shooters shooting lights out after being doubled off from, and think "well, that seems legit". Lol. :P
Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker
They're professional basketball players, what do you expect? If you leave them wide open, 9 times out of 10 that shot is going to go down.
Actually if you leave them wide open, 9 times out of 10 that shot is going to miss 50 percent of the time.

And only if they were the best shooter that ever lived and named Stephen Curry.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 PM   #44
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Leaving bad shooters open needs to be a viable tactic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
This so much. On top of the offensive rebound and unstoppable putback issues, Andre Roberson shoots like he's Kyle Korver while my AI defenders leave him like they should because he's a bad shooter.

He shoots like 50% on threes and even got player of the game once dropping bombs. He shoots 24% in real life.

It's unfortunate the more sophisticated CPU AI is locked behind Superstar or higher, because Superstar does not provide anything resembling realistic shooting from the CPU, which drastically kills realism and realistic strategy. I know the guys behind the offensive and defensive systems want sim as much as we do, but I have a hard time understanding how they can test on Superstar, see bad AI shooters shooting lights out after being doubled off from, and think "well, that seems legit". Lol. :P

Right! Exactly. It seriously feeds into the “rubberband AI” so many people swear is in the game.

With every game against the AI going this way, I’m inclined to think the same as bad as I don’t want too.

It’s happening in the game I’m playing right now. I went up by a bunch.. the AI went on a 13-5 run to tie the game.

BS shot after BS shot going in. It’s like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Right! Exactly. It seriously feeds into the “rubberband AI” so many people swear is in the game.

With every game against the AI going this way, I’m inclined to think the same as bad as I don’t want too.

It’s happening in the game I’m playing right now. I went up by a bunch.. the AI went on a 13-5 run to tie the game.

BS shot after BS shot going in. It’s like clockwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
It honestly feels a bit like the overpowered momentum problem I've always had with the game on anything above All Star. Sometimes I can get the AI to shoot poorly as a team, and it actually starts to resemble the variance and cold spells that can feature in an NBA game. But in 2K18, they invariably pick it back up and start shooting lights out even with the worst shooter-- and because players like Roberson are left open intentionally by the AI, a few quick transition threes (like he's Klay Thompson) seems to fuel an AI momentum comeback.

Regardless, I think a fundamental issue is just the inflated wide open shooting of poor shooters that exceeds the wide open shooting of historical shooters in real life. That's just wrong.

And then there's the inflated free throw percentages on higher difficulties too-- which makes little sense to me. Free throw percentages are one of the most stable, best understood, and most easily simulated aspects of basketball. But Superstar difficulty does away with that for an artificial "challenge".

I understand higher difficulty providing better AI. I can even understand a few stat boosts or requiring you to play just a bit tighter with better reactions. But why should the AI just be granted free extra points at the line with poor freethrow shooters because the difficulty is higher? That's not actual gameplay difficulty-- because it doesn't involve anything that I can actually engage in and do to affect the outcome (outside of trying not to foul, when fouling poor FT shooters is again, a legitimate NBA strategy).

Instead, higher difficulty should only involve making systems that I can interact with more challenging while keeping all other aspects as simulation and realistic as possible, rather than forcing me to play better in other areas while helplessly watching the AI perform better in specific aspects and in an unrealistic, non-sim way.

Last edited by Sundown; 10-17-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 09:53 PM   #46
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
It honestly feels a bit like the overpowered momentum problem I've always had with the game on anything above All Star. Sometimes I can get the AI to shoot poorly as a team, and it actually starts to resemble the variance and cold spells that can feature in an NBA game. But in 2K18, they invariably pick it back up and start shooting lights out even with the worst shooter-- and because players like Roberson are left open intentionally by the AI, a few quick transition threes (like he's Klay Thompson) seems to fuel an AI momentum comeback.

Regardless, I think a fundamental issue is just the inflated wide open shooting of poor shooters that exceeds the wide open shooting of historical shooters in real life. That's just wrong.

And then there's the inflated free throw percentages on higher difficulties too-- which makes little sense to me. Free throw percentages are one of the most stable, best understood, and most easily simulated aspects of basketball. But Superstar difficulty does away with that for an artificial "challenge".

I understand higher difficulty providing better AI. I can even understand a few stat boosts or requiring you to play just a bit tighter with better reactions. But why should the AI just be granted free extra points at the line with poor freethrow shooters because the difficulty is higher? That's not actual gameplay difficulty-- because it doesn't involve anything that I can actually engage in and do to affect the outcome (outside of trying not to foul, when fouling poor FT shooters is again, a legitimate NBA strategy).

Instead, higher difficulty should only involve making systems that I can interact with more challenging while keeping all other aspects as simulation and realistic as possible, rather than forcing me to play better in other areas while helplessly watching the AI perform better in specific aspects and in an unrealistic, non-sim way.
Agree with this 1000%

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #47
Pro

OVR: 0

I always thought for a Sim-type game, the sliders should not be at 50 whatsoever. This is why you see guys like Andre Roberson shooting like he is a Ray Allen. The flat-line base percentage is way too high, and it's been like this since NBA 2K12 (AKA the year of the 3-point shot).

There is no way around it, the sliders must be modified. Even Da Czar himself crafts his own sliders to play the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouWQgR7F6ug
Old 10-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #48
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

are you guys still seeing this after yesterday's tuner?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »