Home

The Death of Zig Zaggers

This is a discussion on The Death of Zig Zaggers within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #73
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: The Death of Zig Zaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
Offensive players will always have the advantage, because you can't predict which direction they will go in. I'd imagine it's tough to balance. Speeding up the defender movement would be unrealistic, but I guess if it works, maybe?

But online input lag seems to be a problem they won't fix. Servers aren't a priority unfortunately.
Uh, yes and no. I can't predict the direction 100% of the time, but against non-AI, it becomes very easy. People develop pet moves. Pet moves turn into patterns. Patterns are predictable.

In fact, you SHOULD be playing anticipatory defense anyway. You have tools to do so. I personally find that shading baseline on most dudes tends to work. For whatever reason people have a high tendancy towards going baseline, and will force their way to it. They also seem to have no idea what to do with middle penetration either, so it's a win win IMO.

I try to take away the direction they are most likely to go, or take away the advantageous direction. Then they can either run into me, or go towards the help D.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 10-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #74
MVP

HowDareI's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
Uh, yes and no. I can't predict the direction 100% of the time, but against non-AI, it becomes very easy. People develop pet moves. Pet moves turn into patterns. Patterns are predictable.

In fact, you SHOULD be playing anticipatory defense anyway. You have tools to do so. I personally find that shading baseline on most dudes tends to work. For whatever reason people have a high tendancy towards going baseline, and will force their way to it. They also seem to have no idea what to do with middle penetration either, so it's a win win IMO.

I try to take away the direction they are most likely to go, or take away the advantageous direction. Then they can either run into me, or go towards the help D.

You sound exactly like me. No one drives middle ever. People are so predictable even these "dribble gods" all do the same moves.

I break people's ankles doing nothing but hesitations and between the leg dribbles..

But these people get frustrated at good defense and find ways around it..thus this thread.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

-Allen Iverson
Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #75
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
You sound exactly like me. No one drives middle ever. People are so predictable even these "dribble gods" all do the same moves.

I break people's ankles doing nothing but hesitations and between the leg dribbles..

But these people get frustrated at good defense and find ways around it..thus this thread.

I get you. The zig zagging I always revert back to the previous 2ks. The shooter is looking for a specific distance/spacing. So, I just dodge picks as long as I can stopping short when I know they're turning.

It's hard, but anything that throws them out of a comfort zone, IMO.

I go to reddit. It's twitter in message board form. Nobody understands anything. Actual data is met with "it's a video game", telling them it's a sim game is met with deaf ears. Every miss is 2k's fault. Every time they lose the ball dribbling "2k needs to fix it".

They're using JR Smith's tweet to 2k about not losing the ball as gospel(By the way, Am I the only one that would NEVER want to run park with JR? I can only imagine his shot selection).

I get scared that this place is slowly drifting that way. The way people post, ignoring actual evidence. Ignoring any type if help under the guise of "It's not my job to try to make the game do what I want" despite the fact that they are given actual solutions that require a small bit of work.

Anyone that doesn't agree is a "2k apologist". Damn, I feel old now.

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #76
Pro

Vroman's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI

It would all work well if we had at least fraction of realism in shooting. When matchup can green near half court 3pt everytime there is no room for anticipation, you either glued to him or he will nail it down. What zigzag allow you is get defense moving and if nobody moves you just let it fly from whatever range, if defense move early u just run to the emptier side to let it fly.
Only way for defense to work out on well executed zigzag behind screen is for both players think like one and really well time switching. However it may take a lot of practice and level of focus by you and your teammate while spamming this crap for zigzager take no skill and effort at all.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: The Death of Zigzaggers

First off I came on here to make a Post just on this and you beat me to it. I spent more time playing this game online than any other 2K online and this just makes me laugh every time. IMO I feel like they should get rid of badges fully. It's almost impossible to guard sharp shooters even with a defensive stopper when they do that back in forth movement. And if you're playing good defense here comes the 3 picks and a three pointer following it. It's painfully annoying to try and guard it.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #78
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

I'm not sure what mode you are playing in, but your best solution is find the right people to play and then to play them.

Leagues of like minded players give you hours and hours of gameplay and you could avoid that.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #79
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
Offensive players will always have the advantage, because you can't predict which direction they will go in. I'd imagine it's tough to balance. Speeding up the defender movement would be unrealistic, but I guess if it works, maybe?

But online input lag seems to be a problem they won't fix. Servers aren't a priority unfortunately.

All of this. The input lag is the real killer in this along with that stupid blow by animation even if you're sticking with the guy.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #80
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Anyone have any video of this in 2k18?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »