Home

No game testing, I've been saying it for years.

This is a discussion on No game testing, I've been saying it for years. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #57
GSW
Simnation

GSW's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: No game testing, I've been saying it for years.

Speaking from the perspective of someone who has worked in the industry and in game development I'd like to offer a couple counter points here.

Balancing a game isn't as easy as one might think, especially because the fact is the "final" build isn't really given until maybe a month or two before launch. What this means is up until that point many issues are preventing the testers from even being able to test the game in full.

There's absolutely no way there is a full build with every single archetype unlocked at all the varying skill levels available for everyone to test. It's just not possible...and tha'ts just talking about My Career/Pro Am builds.

That's not discussing game play, A.I, My League, MyTeam etc which has it's own share of intricate details only we the gamer will experience upon launch.

Yea, things like the *apparent* region lock players like myself and others are experiencing really suck and are kinda like "Wow how did this get missed, again" (easy if you think about it, though im not sure how they VPN test, if they do at all). But the bottom line is the game isn't awful...not by any stretch.

Theres a huge problem I see, as someone who has worked in the industry and just a fan of 2k since dreamcast.

This game is trying to do way too much in way too short of a period of time.

The simple scaling back of modes and features would allocate resources to engineers to ensure their work is tight and give QA less of a broad landscape to comb when they attempt to do their job. Now I'm not naive enough to think this will ever happen...but I am hopeful it gets addressed in the coming years.

There are clearly OTHER factors at play here but I wanted to chime in on 1/x of the issues i see that could facilitate a smoother experience YOY moving forward.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #58
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSsTOwN
I've been playing Virtual concepts bball games since NBA action 98
Oh my... this is the type of VC that i can get behind.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #59
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Glad Smoove is speaking out this year. 2K shipping this game with pretty much ever game mode having (a) major issue(s) is completely unacceptable for a full priced AAA title.
There has never been one "full priced AAA title" in video game history that relies heavily on an online component that's been perfectly balanced and bug free at release, and nearly every sports game on the market gets patched 10+ times every year.

The shear number of things in 2k makes the things to test and the possibility of bugs go sky high, yet if 2k scales back on the modes/features next year they'll get called lazy.

They literally cannot win with this fanbase. So, I say they just keep doing what they're doing. It's obviously not an issue for 95% of the people who buy this game. If someone thinks the game is in an unacceptable state at launch every year, then don't buy the game at launch. It's very simple.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #60
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
There has never been one "full priced AAA title" in video game history that relies heavily on an online component that's been perfectly balanced and bug free at release, and nearly every sports game on the market gets patched 10+ times every year.

The shear number of things in 2k makes the things to test and the possibility of bugs go sky high, yet if 2k scales back on the modes/features next year they'll get called lazy.

They literally cannot win with this fanbase. So, I say they just keep doing what they're doing. It's obviously not an issue for 95% of the people who buy this game. If someone thinks the game is in an unacceptable state at launch every year, then don't buy the game at launch. It's very simple.
Nowhere in my post did I demand a perfectly balanced and bug free game; all I was saying was that at launch there were multiple modes that were not fully functional. I keep up with other games and I never have issues with functionality in multiple modes at launch. Gameplay balance, glitches: yes. Functionality? Rarely, if ever.

If this is such a common thing, please point me towards some examples in recent years.

I remember the PC version of Arkham Knight wasn't working during launch; it was in such a bad state that the devs gave out a refund to all PC owners. According to you though, PC owners should have just accepted the fact that what they paid for wasn't working properly because... other games get patches too? That's just a poor line of thinking imo.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #61
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

OVR: 0

There is no problem with someone saying they like the game, or don't like the game, if you paid for the game with your money, then you can say whatever you want about the game, they surely wont feel bad about any comments since they still make a ton of money, so saying that you cant or shouldn't say something bad or bash the game, is wrong, and saying you cant or shouldn't say the game is good, is wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Nowhere in my post did I demand a perfectly balanced and bug free game; all I was saying was that at launch there were multiple modes that were not fully functional. I keep up with other games and I never have issues with functionality in multiple modes at launch. Gameplay balance, glitches: yes. Functionality? Rarely, if ever.

If this is such a common thing, please point me towards some examples in recent years.

I remember the PC version of Arkham Knight wasn't working during launch; it was in such a bad state that the devs gave out a refund to all PC owners. According to you though, PC owners should have just accepted the fact that what they paid for wasn't working properly because... other games get patches too? That's just a poor line of thinking imo.
There was another game also too besides Batman..they had to refund... Batman was unplayable even if you had a top of the line P.C..no matter what they did to patch it didn't work.. eventually they were forced to give a refund.

NBA 2k isn't near that line yet..but they're tipping awfully close..when you factor in the VC scam.

The are trying to fix the VC probly first..then maybe they will address the gameplay..shows you their intergity..going after the free $$$first.. because there are the people who will request a refund..due to VC and players being lost after a patch.. so to keep them happy and applying for refund the address them first (Still a mess).

Us who play for SIM..will have to wait to see if they even address any issues..if you bought from steam/digitally or WITH a credit card..you have every right to dispute the charge, no one willingly purchased a BROKEN game.. everyone has their rights to dispute..

Also on the P.C /steam... They can just refund you uninstall the game from your library...no problems there.(They have on many occasions REMOVED games without consent,so they can do it here).

Remember if you don't complain or take action.. steam will just take your money and honestly how would they know if you don't make a complaint ticket.

Start the process so if 2k doesn't address the issue...you can apply for a refund on ANY digital game for pc/Xbox/PS4.

I say give 2k the benefit of the doubt..and hope they will fix it.. but recommend you OPEN a ticket so you have proof.

For those happy with the game..no need to reply to this..or apply for a refund/ticket.

Just letting people know their RIGHTS.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »