Home

NBA 2K18 - Officially The Lowest Rated Edition In A Decade (Professional)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 - Officially The Lowest Rated Edition In A Decade (Professional) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 - Officially The Lowest Rated Edition In A Decade (Professional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetz
Also: Is it really fair to discredit the entire game, making it the lowest rated in such years, due to one game mode? Plenty of people enjoy PNO, All-Star Team Up, My GM, Online Leagues, and the Ultimate Team as well as MyCareer.
All the other modes you listed have significant flaws within them right now, except maybe PNO, but even that mode had the timeout non-sense from earlier in the year.

Some people choose to overlook the flaws, that's fine, to each their own. But there's some really glaring ones that put a hamper on the overall title.

And MyCareer pretty much encourages you to do a ridiculous grind or put some money into it. They've been reeling in tons of micro transaction money since 2k14---it's really not too much for the consumers to ask for servers that work and for there to be better communication. They keep patching things stealthily and I don't think this is ok to do. The one mode that reels in the most money should be at the very least, functional. If it isn't, they deserve to be hammered for it.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

Yeah, like SixGod said, that's funny because gameplay wise this is maybe the best 2K I've ever played. Even better than 2K11. Still give 2K11 the edge mode/fun factor wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 10-16-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGod
It's ironic because it is probably one of the best 2Ks in terms of gameplay but as the article states, the VC-intensive design has put a damper on the game.

Some transactions just don't make sense to me. For example, upgrading bars on certain MyPlayers costs a lot of VC especially if you're close to your cap but yet the stat doesn't increase? So I'm forced to give away my hard-earned VC (doesn't matter if grinded for or bought) and get nothing in return?
How much better does it play, seriously? It looks like the same game to me, more or less. I keep thinking maybe I was too hard on 2k, but then I watch some gameplay of it, or I read a thread talking about it takes 50 minutes from creating a dude until you can upgrade him... I dunno.

I'm sure that it's better than 17. I dunno how much I have liked any of the recent 2ks, but they were good enough to play. I always found the high level competitive gameplay to be lacking. It was too based off of one or two things. Isn't it still that way? Because, if it is, I dunno how it'd be that much better.

2k is 2k. Dribble moves, missed lay ups, pick effectiveness, 30 footers, getting ripped in the post... all of that was frustrating, but I could get over it. However, it all came together and made the game just not play like real bball... at all, when you were really trying to win, and I hated that. I dunno how, in the absence of that, it can be a good game.

I guess the point is, I feel like when I read people say, "It really is a good game" while saying it's too bad things are the way they are (cutscenes, vc), it seems like people are saying it's REALLY amazing as a game. Like it's mind blowing, and I don't understand how that is, or what I'm missing.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2017, 10:55 PM   #12
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23
Yeah, like SixGod said, that's funny because gameplay wise this is maybe the best 2K I've ever played. Even better than 2K11. Still give 2K11 the edge mode/fun factor wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Honestly, it kinda pisses me off that the microtransactions are overshadowing this game. To me, it's the best game that I've played when it comes to gameplay.

To everyone else...I don't care about the flaws, because the flaws DON'T impact me in the modes that I play.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetz
I'm very surprised to the community's response to the "aggressive monetization." Personally, I'm always under the belief that badges are everything in MyCareer and overall stats mean a bit less. I do understand the issues of rewarding less virtual currency than the past and it becoming harder to obtain, however, most people don't like a challenge? Or am I interpreting the situation incorrectly?

To create a simulation-esque MyPlayer environment that resembles real basketball there has to be some good, bad, highly rated, and lowly rated MyPlayers. I'm not quite sure of a solution, because giving everyone heaps of VC/game might not be the option. I'm not sure of the solution and am very interested in others' response.

Also: Is it really fair to discredit the entire game, making it the lowest rated in such years, due to one game mode? Plenty of people enjoy PNO, All-Star Team Up, My GM, Online Leagues, and the Ultimate Team as well as MyCareer.
The issue lists for people who enjoy some of those modes are longer than even the mycareer issues list.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #14
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Honestly, it kinda pisses me off that the microtransactions are overshadowing this game. To me, it's the best game that I've played when it comes to gameplay.

To everyone else...I don't care about the flaws, because the flaws DON'T impact me in the modes that I play.
The street mode has overshadowed the NBA part of 2k(smh)....so while the sims are loving the game the casuals hate it and well thats where we are with 2k
Old 10-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #15
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
How much better does it play, seriously? It looks like the same game to me, more or less. I keep thinking maybe I was too hard on 2k, but then I watch some gameplay of it, or I read a thread talking about it takes 50 minutes from creating a dude until you can upgrade him... I dunno.

I'm sure that it's better than 17. I dunno how much I have liked any of the recent 2ks, but they were good enough to play. I always found the high level competitive gameplay to be lacking. It was too based off of one or two things. Isn't it still that way? Because, if it is, I dunno how it'd be that much better.

2k is 2k. Dribble moves, missed lay ups, pick effectiveness, 30 footers, getting ripped in the post... all of that was frustrating, but I could get over it. However, it all came together and made the game just not play like real bball... at all, when you were really trying to win, and I hated that. I dunno how, in the absence of that, it can be a good game.

I guess the point is, I feel like when I read people say, "It really is a good game" while saying it's too bad things are the way they are (cutscenes, vc), it seems like people are saying it's REALLY amazing as a game. Like it's mind blowing, and I don't understand how that is, or what I'm missing.

-Smak
The game plays way better then ever before and I am not even the biggest 2k fan the game plays extremely realistic. About the only thing that is not realistic is none shooting fouls and subbing. The game is mind blowing good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 01:37 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
The game plays way better then ever before and I am not even the biggest 2k fan the game plays extremely realistic. About the only thing that is not realistic is none shooting fouls and subbing. The game is mind blowing good.
I think that's what might be the difference between your opinion and others which are entitled to is that people who are hardcore NBA 2K fans.

I mean true Sim fans see the difference and feel it it's night and day I understand 2K tried to expand their Audience by reaching out to younger groups with shoes sneakers haircuts but in the end it destroyed the game.

In the end it doesn't make a difference anyways because they will make more money and that's all that matters having a freestyle basketball game on the court makes more money than a Sim why do you think Madden can keep on going and going when NFL 2K5 blew it other of the water gameplay-wise. (This game still holds the test of time).

Many love arcade stuff, I don't blame them it's everyone's decision of what they like every one is different.

For me and many other Gamers NBA 2K filled that Sim void, and allowed others to play basketball also. Then NBA Live got shelved and they got greedy they went for both customers.

The real atrocity starting when they introduced,Spike Lee with the story crap then kept on going and going.

They forgot about basketball they wanted you care about the basketball on the outside the players lives on the outside when none of us give a crap about the basketball players we just want to play a good game on the court on our video game system or computer.

I don't know who advised them to go and put all their time and effort into a park or a virtual neighborhood that is quite the silliest thing I ever heard in my life and I'm sure every 2K fan who saw Ronnie 2K in New York showing it off knew we were in big trouble.

I laugh now but when I saw those videos in New York that one hour event, when I saw guys running around in Grand Theft Auto V environment all was lost then you add an element of the Sims mixed with the VC scam this was never going to go well.

Some may enjoy it some may not, many do agree separate the two games.
I would gladly pay full price for 2K to go back the way it was and I'm sure many gamers who play park/proam would gladly pay $19.99 for that.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »