Home

NBA 2K18 - Officially The Lowest Rated Edition In A Decade (Professional)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 - Officially The Lowest Rated Edition In A Decade (Professional) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 AM   #17
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 - Officially The Lowest Rated Edition In A Decade (Professional)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Honestly, it kinda pisses me off that the microtransactions are overshadowing this game. To me, it's the best game that I've played when it comes to gameplay.

To everyone else...I don't care about the flaws, because the flaws DON'T impact me in the modes that I play.
You don't care about random framerate drops?

You don't care about defensive settings not saving?

You don't care about players dropping passes and stumbling out of bounds from 2 feet away?

You don't care about guards teleporting over groups of 4 defenders to snag excessive amounts of offensive rebounds?

You don't care about Shaq, Andre Roberson etc. being viable 3 point threats?

There's much more than just the microtransactions that have made people critical of this game. Movement is better than it's ever been, but I wouldn't say "gameplay" as a whole is as flawless as many people are making out.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:55 AM   #18
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover

You don't care about players dropping passes and stumbling out of bounds from 2 feet away?

You don't care about guards teleporting over groups of 4 defenders to snag excessive amounts of offensive rebounds?

There's much more than just the microtransactions that have made people critical of this game. Movement is better than it's ever been, but I wouldn't say "gameplay" as a whole is as flawless as many people are making out.
He didn't call the game perfect, he said he was enjoying it- which gets people all upset & bothered for some odd reason.

Most of the reviews also echo exactly what he's saying- the majority of low scores came from the bugs and micro transactions (which I 100% understand)- while praising gameplay. It's subjective of course depending on the player. I know as far as gameplay goes, I'm enjoying it a lot more than 2K17 and its 88 metactic score..

I've enjoyed most 2k's, some 2k's not so much-but even with the ones Ive liked, I can make a laundry list of issues like you did of things that bother me....and thats not just 2k, goes for my favorite games period. Doesn't mean I dont acknowledge them, they just don't currently outweigh my enjoyment- and for some it does- I can respect that...don't care enough to try and convert any one to think otherwise.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 10-17-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #19
Rookie

NBA 2K18 - Officially The Lowest Rated Edition In A Decade (Professional)

The gameplay is great, but MyCareer has gone backwards hard, its story feels almost like everything is one big advertisement, characters are terrible and the greed of linking an overall rating to moves, shoes and things that we could actually access last year is frustrating but they did it 2 force people into spending money on VC. I just don’t understand the mentality of taking so many steps backwards in simple areas they could’ve easily built upon.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
How much better does it play, seriously? It looks like the same game to me, more or less. I keep thinking maybe I was too hard on 2k, but then I watch some gameplay of it, or I read a thread talking about it takes 50 minutes from creating a dude until you can upgrade him... I dunno.

I'm sure that it's better than 17. I dunno how much I have liked any of the recent 2ks, but they were good enough to play. I always found the high level competitive gameplay to be lacking. It was too based off of one or two things. Isn't it still that way? Because, if it is, I dunno how it'd be that much better.

2k is 2k. Dribble moves, missed lay ups, pick effectiveness, 30 footers, getting ripped in the post... all of that was frustrating, but I could get over it. However, it all came together and made the game just not play like real bball... at all, when you were really trying to win, and I hated that. I dunno how, in the absence of that, it can be a good game.

I guess the point is, I feel like when I read people say, "It really is a good game" while saying it's too bad things are the way they are (cutscenes, vc), it seems like people are saying it's REALLY amazing as a game. Like it's mind blowing, and I don't understand how that is, or what I'm missing.

-Smak
I'm surprised that people other than PGs really think this gameplay is the best ever. The ball handling has improved and the IQ is better on plays but other than that it's really not much different

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #21
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLeafClover

Jesus Christ...did you not read the last sentence of my post??? I put it in there to specifically deflect comments such as this.

1) Framerate drops ONE time during ANY online games I play.

2) I DON'T make changes during the pause menu. I make ALL my changes OTF or during the timeouts.

3) I have no clue what the hell you're talking about. I USE icon passes, and I AVOID trying to make full court passes for cheesy fastbreaks.

4) Some guards CAN rebound. If I play a game, and Darren Collison snatched down 10 rebounds in a game, then I MIGHT be concern. 1 or 2 rebounds in a videogame with 5 minute quarters (PNO) or 8 minute quarters (offline)...meh.

5) I have seen videos, but PERSONALLY I haven't played anyone in PNO where that was a problem. Unless they're shooting 50% with Shaq, I would want them to shoot as many as they want. Shaq shooting 3's works BETTER for me defensively, then trying to stop his big *** in the paint where he's gobbling up every rebound that's available and dunking with no remorse.

I really hate when people try to "force" other people to see flaws. If I don't see it, then I freaking don't see it OR it doesn't bother me enough to be a big deal. I'm know that I'm ENJOYING the game more than NBA 2K11 despite the microtransactions. I play it everyday, and I look FORWARD to playing it when I get off work.

Stop hating on my happiness, and get you some.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #22
Banned

******** async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

Does this not seem a little tone deaf? There are still dudes out there who pre-ordered and haven't got their day 1 players, and new customers are being given x2 VC for arriving late to the party. This isn't an end of it's lifecycle offer to tempt people, this is a pre-tipoff game that rewards players for arriving late to the party. I didn't pre-order, but the guys that did should be rewarded.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #23
Rookie

MegaJohn's Arena

This is by far the greediest game I have ever had the misfortune of playing. I love the series, but this year things went too far when they slowed progression to a crawl while at the same time moving more items that werent behind a paywall, to behind a paywall. Things like beards and hairstyles with no way of previewing them before you purchase, then making that process to get back into the barber shop to change it far more drawn out than it needs to be. In fact just designing the whole career mode they way they did bugs the hell out of me. They put more time wasting elements into this game to make you feel like you have to purchase VC just to progress a little bit, that you could put 20 hours into My Career, only play 5 NBA Games, and move up only 3 points overall. All because we have to go to the Gatorade Training Facility, Practice, walk around a virtual city, and watch some cheesy *** non skippable cutscene before every game leading all the way up to stepping on the court for shootaround. The game doesnt respect your time at all. All of these things could and should be accessible from a menu, all curscenes should be skippable, and I shouldnt have to wait for one to play out just so I can press B to skip the shootaround like always.

Its terrible for this to be in the game, as the gameplay, on court, and in game action is spot on for what you would see on an NBA Telecast, but it could even get better, and the fact that development time was wasted on turning this game more into a pay to win game that we all paid $60 for is just infuriating.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #24
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

As a player who does not play online, I have been saddened by the way MyCareer has become more and more tied to online play limitations over the past few years. So in a large sense, I had basically given up on the mode already anyway. The last time I played it intensively was probably 2k15 on PC.

So now that I'm almost exclusively a MyLeague player, the VC stuff really doesn't bother me anymore. The modes requiring VC were already killed for me over the years anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »