Home

Dribbling in traffic: There's a serious problem.

This is a discussion on Dribbling in traffic: There's a serious problem. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #33
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Dribbling in traffic: There's a serious problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Every time we do knock the ball loose or block the shot the offense gets the ball. Even out of position.
The rate which this happens is extremely frustrating.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #34
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
What about the the clip shown in the original post. what should happen in that situation ?
I get where guys are coming from when they don't really get the issue. For starters, the CPU doesn't let that **** fly. If you're playing a 1-on-1 game online who is dribbling crazy and you can't dislodge the ball, constant doubles usually snuffs that out.

Against the CPU, dribbling into traffic in bad situations usually leads to turnovers on both sides.

I bring up these issues out of annoyance, but mostly because I want the game to play as well as it possibly can. I know walking the line of what to fix can't be easy for devs. They did a good job for the most part, but this game can definitely be cleaned up.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #35
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

I'm kinda on the fence with this.

Pappy already knows some of my feelings here...one issue I have with the game is that it isn't able to replicate the way ball-handlers protect the ball in real life. For example, if you watch a guy like Chris Paul or even Markelle Fultz at Washington, you'll see them get a step on their man and then kinda slow down and put their butt into the defender to shield them off while they methodically probe the interior of the defense. You'll see them split between defenders when they're coming off a ball-screen, you'll see them properly get their body between the ball and the defense very organically.

Video games (2K included) struggle to replicate this kinda thing. So for example, in some of the examples in the video in the OP, I think the ball-handler should be able to keep the ball, but he should be protecting it rather than how awful it looks in the video with him pretty much just dribbling head on into the defense without losing the ball.

I'm not sure what exactly the solution is to this; I almost think there needs to be a way to automatically make the ball-handler aware in situations like this and protect the ball, but I imagine the implementation of this would probably be REALLY tough to get working correctly.

I definitely agree with some of the other thoughts in here, such as that the difficulty in Pro-Am should be increased. And I do think that in some of the examples provided, the ball-handler should indeed lose the ball.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #36
Pro

kolanji's Arena

I never ever adjust sliders because I like knowing I play at a standard that is consistent when playing against friends regardless of whose console am on.....

I say that to say this for the first time I made adjustments is in 2k18 to ball security slider....

as is on superstar or even all-star as I fluctuate between them both...the ball is way to eailry knocked lose by a ramming defender or by some terrible looking clipping collisions.....now if it was justified by a knock loose reaching animation if would be much more acceptable

we are at a point where basketball games don't let u determine where exactly to bounce a dribble or how far away from the body to extend when doing so which is crucial in tight spaces or to escape being guarded tightly.....

so until we have an option to protect the ball with dribbling closer to the dribbler' s body while moving forward along with option like it is now to turn ur back to defender then we can't use a bandaid measure of losing the ball at such a high rate despite a user dribbling full steam ahead into a defender because it gives an unfair advantage to the defender to be able to return the ramming from different angles with no penalty but a reward of knocking the ball loose

Last edited by kolanji; 10-18-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #37
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I'm kinda on the fence with this.

Pappy already knows some of my feelings here...one issue I have with the game is that it isn't able to replicate the way ball-handlers protect the ball in real life. For example, if you watch a guy like Chris Paul or even Markelle Fultz at Washington, you'll see them get a step on their man and then kinda slow down and put their butt into the defender to shield them off while they methodically probe the interior of the defense. You'll see them split between defenders when they're coming off a ball-screen, you'll see them properly get their body between the ball and the defense very organically.

Video games (2K included) struggle to replicate this kinda thing. So for example, in some of the examples in the video in the OP, I think the ball-handler should be able to keep the ball, but he should be protecting it rather than how awful it looks in the video with him pretty much just dribbling head on into the defense without losing the ball.

I'm not sure what exactly the solution is to this; I almost think there needs to be a way to automatically make the ball-handler aware in situations like this and protect the ball, but I imagine the implementation of this would probably be REALLY tough to get working correctly.

I definitely agree with some of the other thoughts in here, such as that the difficulty in Pro-Am should be increased. And I do think that in some of the examples provided, the ball-handler should indeed lose the ball.
I dig what you're saying here. Not every example in the video should have been a case of him losing the ball. The video was originally clipped to show what idiots this team was, but there were definitely times he should've coughed it up.

Maybe a contextual animation is the way to go, but I'd much prefer most things be kept in our hands if possible.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #38
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
I dig what you're saying here. Not every example in the video should have been a case of him losing the ball. The video was originally clipped to show what idiots his team was, but there were definitely times he should've coughed it up.

Maybe a contextual animation is the way to go, but I'd much prefer most things be kept in our hands if possible.

I definitely hear you on that. Maybe it could be something similar to what FIFA does, where when you hold L2/LT, the ball-handler shields the ball from the defender regardless of what angle the defender is at. Like in FIFA, doing this might cause your player to turn 180 degrees to stick his butt into the defender, and if the defender tries to go around, your player will turn with the defender to continue shielding the ball. Maybe something like that could work in 2K rather than your player just getting into a back down position pretty much.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 10-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #39
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I definitely hear you on that. Maybe it could be something similar to what FIFA does, where when you hold L2/LT, the ball-handler shields the ball from the defender regardless of what angle the defender is at. Like in FIFA, doing this might cause your player to turn 180 degrees to stick his butt into the defender, and if the defender tries to go around, your player will turn with the defender to continue shielding the ball. Maybe something like that could work in 2K rather than your player just getting into a back down position pretty much.
I think that's a lovely solution. It does work well in FIFA. I use the LT as a shield mechanism in 2K a lot, but I think it would work better as you described it.

Last edited by Pappy Knuckles; 10-18-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 2

Beat me to it AGAIN!!!!!! But they're not going to fix this because this game will always be about offense. The "revamped" defense system needs to be revamped again.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »