Home

Microtransactions up 57% from 2016 - Take Two Interactive

This is a discussion on Microtransactions up 57% from 2016 - Take Two Interactive within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Pro

rwntrl's Arena

OVR: 0
Microtransactions up 57% from 2016 - Take Two Interactive

https://venturebeat.com/2017/11/07/n...from-2016/amp/

Take it for what it is, but I guess it's really safe to say that, for the foreseeable future, the priority that will be listened to and given more attention to are the online players. Just hoping sim guys don't get the short end of the stick moving forward.

Sent from my R7kf using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 06:09 AM   #2
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Re: Microtransactions up 57% from 2016 - Take Two Interactive

I think that's great. I love seeing good companies get rewarded. This is ultimately what matters at the end of the day with these games. This is business, plain and simple. Now, hopefully 2K has learned a thing or two from this year and is more careful with how aggressively they push VC. If the game being so profitable as a whole allows them to continue to innovate offline as well I think we all win. There are other games out now that while profitable online, which is great, seem to not give the slightest damn about offline. This is the new gaming reality in 2017. So, keep it up 2K!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Pro

rwntrl's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I think that's great. I love seeing good companies get rewarded. This is ultimately what matters at the end of the day with these games. This is business, plain and simple. Now, hopefully 2K has learned a thing or two from this year and is more careful with how aggressively they push VC. If the game being so profitable as a whole allows them to continue to innovate offline as well I think we all win. There are other games out now that while profitable online, which is great, seem to not give the slightest damn about offline. This is the new gaming reality in 2017. So, keep it up 2K!
I understand not everyone really has the time to grind and play, me included, but on a personal level, I think the sim community hasn't really seen much growth from the past couple of iterations of the game with the number of problems a lot of players have had, some of which should've already been implemented for a long time. Don't get me wrong: I think 2K18 is tons better, gameplay wise, than 17, but no significant upgrades to MyGM/MyLeague? Having to start custom rosters over once new things come out? The promise of player likeness updates for the past couple of years hasn't been brought around, too. If I'm not mistaken, those are pretty minimal fixes that they could do, but response from 2K has been inconsistent, at best.

Now, if the money they're making could be pumped into truly improving the experience for every player, both for online modes + sim guys, that would be great. Heck, I'd be happier if devs reached out just a little more to those of us here on OS who don't really whine and moan about things.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Pro

wisdom less13's Arena

OVR: 10

I've always been an anti-microtransaction guy, unless it's worth it to me. I've thoroughly enjoyed this game and have chipped in to make a 2nd guy. Not much of an online guy either, buuuut Pro-Am is a ton of fun when you get good teammates. I just don't like how long it would take someone who doesn't drop the money to catch up to guys that jump right to 85. The difference is night and day once you get to that 85.

Franchise Mode Enthusiast.
Watch Me Suck at video games...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

i wish they would use this money to go get the nfl license

Sent from my VS987 using Operation Sports mobile app

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwntrl
I understand not everyone really has the time to grind and play, me included, but on a personal level, I think the sim community hasn't really seen much growth from the past couple of iterations of the game with the number of problems a lot of players have had, some of which should've already been implemented for a long time. Don't get me wrong: I think 2K18 is tons better, gameplay wise, than 17, but no significant upgrades to MyGM/MyLeague? Having to start custom rosters over once new things come out? The promise of player likeness updates for the past couple of years hasn't been brought around, too. If I'm not mistaken, those are pretty minimal fixes that they could do, but response from 2K has been inconsistent, at best.

Now, if the money they're making could be pumped into truly improving the experience for every player, both for online modes + sim guys, that would be great. Heck, I'd be happier if devs reached out just a little more to those of us here on OS who don't really whine and moan about things.

I'd have to disagree there. 2Ks offline franchise is the deepest and best out there. And it has improved greatly in this online money centric era. That makes it even more impressive to me. Its not without its fair share of bugs, but id take a company being too ambitious with franchise any day. Honestly, they could probably remove ML/MGM and update MC and MT every year and still do the same numbers they are doing now. Madden has shown how me how little "offliners" are needed so 2K adding to it is an ode to us, I think.

The gameplay, for me, has ranged from good to great so I have no issues there. Each year there are things that bug me. This year, for instance, I hate how players seemed to bunch up around the paint and block my cutters and stuff. It bungled up my offense on too many plays. It seems to have been cleaned up some, though. These things happen and I just roll with them as each year brings new things, good and bad but the overall is always good. I love how varied the offenses for the different teams are and I'm not even an X's and Os guy but it notice it when I play. I played the Warriors after playing the Bucks in ML and its crazy how differnt the teams feel. It makes playing the lesser games interesting. That's Dzar and OG. That's replay value. But what percent of 2Ks consumer base do you think REALLY understand or appreciate that stuff? I'd say maybe 20% and that's bening generous. It's the little things.

I also think that the devs know that while many people have issues many are still enjoying the product. Angry people just tend to post more. And with the way some people around here act I don't blame the devs for chilling with the interactions. I really don't. They could post about an offensive sets and inevitably someone will come in b**** about VC, or this or that, so why bother.

In summation, I get the gripes. I get people want more. But I also feel like we get an amazing product year in and year that caters pretty well to such a diverse base. I feel that the extra money they're making is leading to a better more diverse product.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

20 bucks is all they will get from me for leveling up my player. The rest I grind....
Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
20 bucks is all they will get from me for leveling up my player. The rest I grind....
I don't even play.... lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »