Home

Are hook shots glitched this year?

This is a discussion on Are hook shots glitched this year? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #41
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Are hook shots glitched this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Wanted to try this myself.

Only missed once outside of the accidental post fade

https://youtu.be/eu4QqMgqumk

This is mostly my experience. In crazy mismatches like this its like they aren't even there.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
I was doing more sky hook shots and I was little farther out too. Do you know what I mean by sky hook? Kareem vintage ? The ones,I saw,on that vid were more like basic hook shots.... Sorry my brain isn't getting the words out right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #42
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Wait guys..... Are talking about no moves? Or faking out the defender first. If we are talking straight hook shots with no fakes. Yes those should go in at low % unless it's like 24th video with a mismatch. My hook shots go in at a high% because I fake out my defenders before attempting one.
your talking about the way this 2k basketball game works right , and not real life right. I play in the post when i play basketball, and if the defender is letting me go to the middle for my hook shot i dont need to throw a bunch of fakes to get it off, i just quick drop step to the middle protect the ball on the way up and put it up high for the release, but yah iv seen your clips, you fake each player 5 times before your able to get a shot off, in real life the double team would be there before the 3rd or 2nd fake. I think most of us, or maybe just me, are asking that single coverage post shots, ON WHOEVER, should be higher %, thats why almost any post player gets double when they go to the middle, or they would just be able to get the hook shot off every time. And of couse hakeem olajuwon should be able to hook shot over time hardaway, a center like that should be able to do any move around the basket on a point guard. What are you guys testing exactly.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:00 AM   #43
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
your talking about the way this 2k basketball game works right , and not real life right. I play in the post when i play basketball, and if the defender is letting me go to the middle for my hook shot i dont need to throw a bunch of fakes to get it off, i just quick drop step to the middle protect the ball on the way up and put it up high for the release, but yah iv seen your clips, you fake each player 5 times before your able to get a shot off, in real life the double team would be there before the 3rd or 2nd fake. I think most of us, or maybe just me, are asking that single coverage post shots, ON WHOEVER, should be higher %, thats why almost any post player gets double when they go to the middle, or they would just be able to get the hook shot off every time. And of couse hakeem olajuwon should be able to hook shot over time hardaway, a center like that should be able to do any move around the basket on a point guard. What are you guys testing exactly.
You're taking that one video from the post thread and running with it, conveniently ignoring all the other ones...and then responding indirectly. You don't need a bunch of fakes to score in the post in this game, I'm just a fan of the fake game like Kevin McHale used to do when he put guys in the torture chamber. There's so many different ways to score in the post this year.

Even if you want to limit yourself to hooks- on/offline- you can score then at a higher clip reading what the defense is doing: https://youtu.be/J2HyodguavA

If what you essentially want to do is get the ball in the post, press square and be dominant, that's not how the post game works this year, and I hope 2k never takes that route.

EDIT: This is from a Play Now on/offline POV.....MC may have elements im unaware of

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 11-16-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #44
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Read below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
You're taking that one video from the post thread and running with it, conveniently ignoring all the other ones...and then responding indirectly. You don't need a bunch of fakes to score in the post in this game, I'm just a fan of the fake game like Kevin McHale used to do when he put guys in the torture chamber. There's so many different ways to score in the post this year.

Even if you want to limit yourself to hooks- on/offline- you can score then at a higher clip reading what the defense is doing: https://youtu.be/J2HyodguavA

If what you essentially want to do is get the ball in the post, press square and be dominant, that's not how the post game works this year, and I hope 2k never takes that route.

EDIT: This is from a Play Now on/offline POV.....MC may have elements im unaware of

olajuwon34, I use to think just like you. video game is suppose be like real life. But it's never going to be like that. Behind the animations is straight up math. Humans don't play videos like they play basketball. That's the problem. There is no way to keep it balance if a defensive player is standing covering his man in the paint and then the offensive player just catches the ball and turns around a fires a shot he knows will go in. In real life that's cool. But in a video game. It's deadly. Remember the back and forth of we had in the Post God thread about the under and up but the defender get the ball knocked out of his hand because it should be a foul if it was real life.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:04 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Read below....

olajuwon34, I use to think just like you. video game is suppose be like real life. But it's never going to be like that. Behind the animations is straight up math. Humans don't play videos like they play basketball. That's the problem. There is no way to keep it balance if a defensive player is standing covering his man in the paint and then the offensive player just catches the ball and turns around a fires a shot he knows will go in. In real life that's cool. But in a video game. It's deadly. Remember the back and forth of we had in the Post God thread about the under and up but the defender get the ball knocked out of his hand because it should be a foul if it was real life.
I think it would be easier to keep it like rock paper scissors in the post. Or, for another example, think of Melo and his jab step pull up. That shot is a decent shot for him, if it's not a decent shot, then a lot of his game falls apart... because he sets up with that move.

So, in the post, say your guy is good at hooks. Maybe have it so you pick what shot your guy specializes in, and you have a way to contest the hook, probably by bodying into someone and then jumping at the right time (hooks are made to shoot over 'still' defenders.) You have a certain contest to slow down a certain shot, which should, in turn, open up a counter. Maybe their 2nd move would be less effective, but they could trick you into thinking they were shooting a hook then go under your arm and scoop it. Or something. Or if you were heavy playing for the hook, pushing into them, they could spin or drop step. Etc.

2k is flawed because the default state, good player vs good player, is too powerful on defense. You can still do work in the post, but you don't do it in an organic way because it's not based off best move, contest best move = open 2nd move counter. It's more like defender is an obstacle you have to work around, which is completely different.

You see what I mean? You can't say a move is overpowered if they have a contest they can use if they know it's coming. But they should have to do something. They might do it too soon, burnt, not do it at all, burnt. Maybe in different ways, but because of the 'obstacle' defense, moves like drop steps are pretty powerful and a simple hook is not. You should be fearful of the hook, with your fingers on the jump button to defend it.

Also, I think you should be money if you can get the ball in a certain spot. If you can catch the ball in the right spot as the right guy, you should be able to score high percentage with no advanced moves. That's bball, too. I'd always be pinning guys under the rim and blowing bunnies in 2k haha.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2017, 12:37 AM   #46
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Quote:
Read below....

I think its because i look at the post in a technical realistic manner, but this game's post play is no where near that, i know how to score in the post in this game, but to me it just feels off the ways you have to do it, "If what you essentially want to do is get the ball in the post, press square and be dominant, that's not how the post game works this year" yah we'l it almost should, because getting the ball low and going up is as simple as that sounds.. and would be just hitting square on a controller, but like you were saying, this is a video game and they have to find someway to make it challenging, but thats why it bugs me, is because it feels like you have to play unrealistic in the post.

Last edited by olajuwon34; 11-19-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
I agree with what Vroman said , if your playing any team up mode online , your team mates dont want to settle for giving the ball to the post man, because to me, this years game seems like its geared around jump shooting and slashing to the rim for a dunk or layup, most post shots if even barely contested miss, there is the post shimmy fade which might be the most reliable, but not all post players have a high post fadeaway, shaq use to kill defenders when he got close to the rim with his hook shot, but in this game, its meaningless, i have missed shots right under the rim with some of the most dominant big men in basketball, but yet seen guards hit circus shots on defenders of almost every position with more consistency, when i have the ball in the hands of an elite low scorer, and a guy almost under the damn hoop stanchion can jump and contest the shot which should just be an easy gimme layup or finish, then this part of the game is completely broken.
FACTS I had shaq for the 94-95 magic I couldn’t hit one hook shot against Tyson chandler. Real post moves like the hook shot and fadeaway don’t go in it be the shimmy fake and up and unders that has a higher chance of going in.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #48
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Yes, there are shots that can make. But some of the best post scorers could shoot over the double team even. There was a reason Shaq is regarded as one of the best passing bigs of all time. If he was beating his man 1 on 1 every possession damn near, then they would double on every possession almost. And IF the double started to effect him, he would find the open man a lot of the time. If you send a double on this game, I will miss. If you send a double, I may not be able to pass out in time before I get a terrible animation and drop the ball.

The post game needs to be more efficient in order to cause more havoc to the defense. The computer should cower in fear of a pure post or athletic first. And online should have to at least respect me enough to send the double SOMETIMES. Also, if we DO send a double, I'd much rather someone have to risk a post fade or hook rather than drop stepping through 4 people and getting a contact dunk 8/10 times.

There needs to be balance. It can go both ways.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »