Home

What 2k considers "good contests"

This is a discussion on What 2k considers "good contests" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: What 2k considers "good contests"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith01
Bad shot selection. And vs one of the best shot blockers in the game. I swear videos like this don't help the game, they dumb down the game due to user error. People think just 'cause they're a "post-god" they should score every single time.
I dono, some are bad shots, but they should still probably be 'possible.' You have a puncher's chance of making any hook near the basket, cuz you are just flipping the ball in. Most, however, are good shots.

I just think in the post it's more about angle and who is moving forward. If someone is moving forward (like if they just drop stepped or faked you up and stepped in), it's hard to contest them unless you block/foul them; at that point, it's a good shot. Assuming they have some level of post skills.

At the very least, a lot of those shots should be 50/50 shots. Or make it so it's harder to pin a guy under the rim, or back them down and turn so you are facing the basket for a 2 foot lay up. Making people miss that shot, cuz balance... is not helping, either.

In a lot of older bball games, posting was like rebounding, you had to keep bodying people to get in the right spot or keep them from getting to that spot. I could play against someone with great stick skills, a top tier guard/forward player and be able to bully them because they couldn't keep me from finding a way into the paint for easy scores. When you work so hard to get to that spot, it serves you some roll off the rim animation, that's pretty dirty. If they jump and block you, ok, but just being there isn't enough. Esp when you are moving forward, people don't become brick walls when they put their arms up.

In short: Contesting in the post is just not the same as contesting on the perimeter. That does seem like a flaw in 2k.

Also: and vs some of the best shot blockers in the game is the same kind of thinking as believing you are a post god and should score every time, to be fair.

-Smak
Old 12-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #58
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0

This shot right here is a great example of where the community is conflicted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NBA2k/comme...rdable_aspect/

What do you guys think? Defense could have been better at the end of the clip, but being able to green *that* shot is silly. That's a classic example of the game considering something wide open without considering the context of what led up to that shot.

By the way, that's a pure sharp but I'm sure everybody noticed if they clicked the link.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #59
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33

What do you guys think? Defense could have been better at the end of the clip, but being able to green *that* shot is silly. That's a classic example of the game considering something wide open without considering the context of what led up to that shot.

By the way, that's a pure sharp but I'm sure everybody noticed if they clicked the link.
IMO there shouldn't be a 0% chance to make that shot but I'm sure the chance is currently way too high. Maybe a pure sharp shouldn't be able to string those dribbles together either.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM   #60
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
IMO there shouldn't be a 0% chance to make that shot but I'm sure the chance is currently way too high. Maybe a pure sharp shouldn't be able to string those dribbles together either.
Weirdly... I thought everything in that video was legit as hell.

Even a pure sharp should be able to do little dribble escapes. Which is what I thought were in this video. And in my opinion. When a users gets a green. You got to give him credit. That means he knows he's players animations. And has worked on that shot. That's when I tip my hat to someone.

It's that term better offense beats good defense.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #61
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Weirdly... I thought everything in that video was legit as hell.

Even a pure sharp should be able to do little dribble escapes. Which is what I thought were in this video. And in my opinion. When a users gets a green. You got to give him credit. That means he knows he's players animations. And has worked on that shot. That's when I tip my hat to someone.

It's that term better offense beats good defense.
This is what I see in that video: over dribbling, taking a shot that's not in great rhythm, off of no passing whatsoever. The defender isn't smothering him but I also don't think the shooter took something that the game considers to have the same space/comfort of a practice shot. I agree that sharps should be able to some of these dribble moves, but being able to shoot off the dribble and green a shot like that? I don't like it at all. They're already all time great floor spacers and catch and shooters, I agree with TripleChin that this shouldn't be a 0% shot but being allowed to have a chance at being a 100% shot just isn't right for me.

You're right, the player here knows his animations well, but that's one of the big issues I have with the game --- knowing your animations well seems to matter too much. And I've benefit from that as well. My shot creator/slasher shoots as well from deep as my playmaking/sharp PG just because I know my shot well. It doesn't feel right.

For the record, I don't think there's a single archetype out there that should be able to take and make those shots as frequently as I've seen them go in. They're makeable shots, but people literally hunt for this stuff. That's twisted to me. This is slightly off topic, but we played a team last night that relied so heavily on limitless range behind brick walls. We put the clamps on them, but I hate that this style of play is so prevalent in this game. Limitless range is something that should be beneficial if you're on fire or are in a bind, not a team's game plan for the entire game.

Like, if I was playing with that dude, I'd be internally yelling at him to pass the *@&!#$@ ball. But no he gets rewarded for that trash.

Last edited by ph33; 12-15-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2017, 12:48 PM   #62
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

I'll preface this by saying- I dont know what happened previous to the clip being captured. was he dribbling for the full 19 seconds beforehand? I also dont know his ratings etc- so if that's the issue, forgive me.

Looking at this clip and this clip alone though, I dont have an issue with what happened. He tried to go right, got cut off, crossed back left and pulled up. It wasn't even the (dribble side to side until I get space)motion I usually see in these Pro Am example videos.

That out of position contest by the defender shouldnt have much impact on the shot IMO. I'm a bit torn on if it should be a 'green release' though...probably should be a light contest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 12-15-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #63
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I'll preface this by saying- I dont know what happened previous to the clip being captured. was he dribbling for the full 19 seconds beforehand? I also dont know his ratings etc- so if that's the issue, forgive me.

Looking at this clip and this clip alone though, I dont have an issue with what happened. He tried to go right, got cut off, crossed back left and pulled up. It wasn't even the (dribble side to side until I get space)motion I usually see in these Pro Am example videos.

That out of position contest by the defender shouldnt have much impact on the shot IMO. I'm a bit torn on if it should be a 'green release' though...probably should be a light contest.

I think its lightly contested.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #64
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter

The other thing I just noticed while watching this video is that the player is HOT. Everyone seems to forget this. Thats why I don't like this video example.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »