Home

Players should be moving around at a walking pace by default

This is a discussion on Players should be moving around at a walking pace by default within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11
Icon3 Players should be moving around at a walking pace by default

I love the 2K series and I believe NBA 2K18 is the best basketball game to date in regards to pure gameplay. But I would like to challenge 2K to rewrite the animation codes so that players on the court are defaulted to walking instead of jogging when you press the left stick in any direction.

If you play basketball at any level, or watch the NBA, you would notice players are not always jogging or running but rather walking. Players set up their rhythem dribble at a stand still or walking/covering a small distance then blow by their defenders. This is when the turbo button can be pressed at the moment you want to get past your defender, not when you are setting up your dribble like it’s programmed now.

Running and speed should be treated as a skill set on the controller, the turbo button should be constantly tapped if you wish to run to mimic the foot speed and not be held down for convenience. Players should be moving in a walking pace at default when the left stick is used no matter the sensitivity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Players should be moving around at a walking pace by default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnumba10
I love the 2K series and I believe NBA 2K18 is the best basketball game to date in regards to pure gameplay. But I would like to challenge 2K to rewrite the animation codes so that players on the court are defaulted to walking instead of jogging when you press the left stick in any direction.

If you play basketball at any level, or watch the NBA, you would notice players are not always jogging or running but rather walking. Players set up their rhythem dribble at a stand still or walking/covering a small distance then blow by their defenders. This is when the turbo button can be pressed at the moment you want to get past your defender, not when you are setting up your dribble like it’s programmed now.

Running and speed should be treated as a skill set on the controller, the turbo button should be constantly tapped if you wish to run to mimic the foot speed and not be held down for convenience. Players should be moving in a walking pace at default when the left stick is used no matter the sensitivity.
2k has had "feathering" for years. But most don't ever use it. They actually added body shielding animations to keep the defender away from the ball. I post this video in another thread.

Spoiler

Also If I'm missing the point. Just take it easy on my me. Because I feel as though what your asking for is in the game already.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

I rarely use feathering since it is too sensitive on the left stick, I only use it when I am walking the ball up the court for aesthetics purposes when there’s no ball pressure.

What I am proposing is that if players want to run, instead of holding down the turbo button, it should be tapping the turbo button and the speed that your player is running at should be dependent to how fast you are tapping the button. This will create a more experience for basketball fans and challenge since players won’t be able to just hold down the turbo button but actually have to time their speed, think James Harden, he does not attack the rim full speed all the time but rather changes speed which makes him effective. With the new proposed scheme, players can change speed by the speed they are tapping the turbo button rather than just holding down turbo.

By default pressing the left stick without feathering, your basketball player should be walking and not jogging. (Think of some FPS games where the character is walking and only running if you press the run button)
Old 12-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Tapping for speed? Like with the B (i think) button for the NFL 2k series except with the triggers? I don't think that will go over well with the crowd.

Since you bought this up it did bring up my idea years ago about having the triggers used for dribbling. Not sure how it would work but it's one of those things that sounds good on paper.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Tapping for speed? Like with the B (i think) button for the NFL 2k series except with the triggers? I don't think that will go over well with the crowd.

Since you bought this up it did bring up my idea years ago about having the triggers used for dribbling. Not sure how it would work but it's one of those things that sounds good on paper.

Yes, exactly. Tapping the trigger for speed. Without tapping and just using the left stick the player on the screen should just be walking, but when you tap the trigger button the player should be jogging or running depending on how fast you tap.

It will add a layer to gameplay, rather than just holding turbo down and running into the paint without any skills.

Right now the default movement is at a jogging pace, I propose they change it so it is at a walking pace instead and work your speed up depending on how fast you tap.

Last edited by tcnumba10; 12-21-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

I kinda like this idea....always was a fan of button tapping for speed in the NFL 2k series. Compared to the length of a football field tapping for turbo shouldn't be that hard to do on a basketball court.

People hated it though....i still remember the thread in the old nfl2k forums about "why do i need to mash a button to run faster?"

I can also see the complaints already about how a center caught up with a guard because he pressed the trigger faster...lol

Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
I kinda like this idea....always was a fan of button tapping for speed in the NFL 2k series. Compared to the length of a football field tapping for turbo shouldn't be that hard to do on a basketball court.

People hated it though....i still remember the thread in the old nfl2k forums about "why do i need to mash a button to run faster?"

I can also see the complaints already about how a center caught up with a guard because he pressed the trigger faster...lol

Haha well there will be a cap on how fast a player runs at full speed no matter how fast you tap the turbo button depending on their speed rating. But it does make sense if a user with a faster player does not tap the turbo button fast enough gets caught up by a player who is not as fast attribute wise but runs harder by tapping a lot faster

I just think this idea will better differentiate speeds at certain situations and give the user more control. Also currently users are told to hold down turbo to perform certain dribble moves which I dont think makes sense.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

The suggesting for tapping loses control of pacing on the court. Tapping take to long to input "GO faster". Which is on the pick and roll or other situations where the dribbler can control the pace of the game. By the time I've registered a second or third input to accelerate. My chance would be gone already.

That's "feathering" is so nice. You can input quicker speed up and then slow down again very quickly. Even if you made the right trigger pressure sensitive it wouldn't be a good control.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »