Home

2k19 ProAm/Playground Needs Matchmaking

This is a discussion on 2k19 ProAm/Playground Needs Matchmaking within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
2k19 ProAm/Playground Needs Matchmaking

First off,

For some background on my perspective. I have 800 games played on Playground with a Win/71%. 256 Walk On Games(solo que) with a Win/62%. I played stage all the time in 2k15, was top 40 in 2k16 Pro AM, 2k17 had a park record of 1600-500. I played h2h and won most of the time on old gen using random teams. Not saying this to brag but for you guys to understand my experience.

Also if you're wondering of my builds.
89 Slashing Sharp
90 Two Way SC
90 Rim Protecting Sharpshooter(Currently Main)
88 SC Sharpshooter

Let me say, the gameplay of 2k18 (MyPlayer PvP) is one of the better games that 2k has released on next gen. Yes the sharpshooter cheese still exists, pick defense needs help, and micro transactions are whats wrong with the game. Lets not forget what 2k got right this year which is:

Player Builds.
I made a thread back in 2016 about how more variety the better online experience. I love the variety that exists in ProAm(even though 70% of randoms do not know how to use their build or play a role.) It's a breath of fresh air after years of repetitive play styles over that last few 2k iterations. Bravo to the dev team on the Archetype system.

sidenote: Badges being upgradable through gameplay in PvP was an excellent move and what keeps me playing as I have multiple builds.

Size Matters
Strength and size of players in gameplay are used correctly and are a big improvement in comparison to all games released on next gen. My only issue with Big Men this year online is:

1. The Drop Step is almost unguardable. I don't need to provide video or detail for this right?

2. 7'3 needs to be removed More penalty for users creating this buidl.

3. Big Men are too fast. Does anyone really notice a difference between a 35-50 speed? I sure don't.

On Ball Defense and Shot Blocking is good compared to other years.

Yes, Some shot contests seem like they don't affect a shot at all but what I like about defense this year is that stick-skills matter again. My approach to defense is thinking of guarding someone as if its a fighting game. Every step matters and you must know the offense animations to stop them.

Meeting players at the rim is fun and rewarding when you figure out how to do it.

I don't mind the hip riding animations that much. It is counterable if your player is strong, tall, and if you cut a player off on the angle they are driving. I feel most of the community need better stick skills/knowledge of the game or make their player a different archetype.

For example, if you chose to be a pure shot creator, or mix of SC/Playmaking/Sharp etc, pure sharp and your'e below 6'7/skinny, better believe you aren't that good of defender. Defense is one of the negatives of making those builds.

For me I have a two way shot creator 6'7 and a 7'0 sharpshooting rim protector, and I find If I stay patient and use my length(arms up animation) I can neutralize any build.

Negative Gameplay:

Defending Sharpshooters

Limitless Range is too OP. Seriously, this breaks the game the effectiveness of this and this has been an issue for the last few years.

Steph Curry does not connect 75% of his long range bombs.

I don't think I need to elaborate more on this issue? For those of you who think it is able to be countered read my next few notes.

Pick Defense
With the NBA using more pick/rolls more than ever it's important that the 2k adds more animations or controls for defenders to switch between the ball handler and pick player.

There needs to be a button for a hard hedge. Yes, you could sprint with a hand up and jumpout on a shooter but come on lets make it easier for a defender. Because it is so easy for a shooter to zig zag and shoot a limitless range three. Either make the limitless range three harder to hit or make the defense easier to guard.

In Playground the simple fact, that 3 is more than 2 it kind of kills all badges that have no shooting in it. Yes the game is changing but lets not forget there are maneuvers/tactics in the NBA for pick n roll defense. The game is evolving and 2k needs to adapt as well.

Off Ball Defense/Passing Distance.
The title for this one make be obscure but what irks me here is the tactic of
a shooter running behind a ball handler to get a three

Yes, Hand offs are used often in the NBA but for competitve/experienced 2k players know this issue. A shooter will run behind a ball handler at the top of the key and the shooter will be almost teleported to the corner three and its GG after that. It's as if the ball handler is setting a pick AND pass at the same time.

This is counterable but takes too much effort/timing to stop consistently. For example switching is an option but is this tactic realistic? Either let the defender be able to run around the ball handler quicker or just shorten the pass distance when a player is running behind another player on the perimeter.

If anyone has video of this please share as I feel my point isn't clear.

Thank you 2k for holding ground and not making drastic patches to appease lesser skilled players.

That's it for gameplay. Honestly, I make one of these threads every year around January/December as the game has been long enough to critique. This year I have less gripes than I usually do.

Now for the issue I think that will improve MyPlayer Online.

MATCHMAKING

Almost all games have this. Yes, Stage exists but its different because Money/VC is involved.

ProAm Ranked has this and I am not familiar with how this year works as my team doesn't play consistently(currently 18-5) But I know a system does exist.

But Playground and Walk On needs this. For a player like me that plays this game for fun and not using cheese tactics this needs to be added.

I don't mind running with randoms its just that some of them are unbelievably clueless. What's even worse is that with the current Road to 99 system harder to tell which ones are good or which ones are bad.

I think 2k needs to create a ranking system. A system that carries on to all MyCareers a user creates.

I am going to use Rainbow Six Siege as an example.

In Siege, the game resets the rank for all players every season(season= about 3 months). For a player to earn their rank at the beginning of the season they must play 10 games. Usually the matchmaking early in the season is like 2k's. ie Higher ranked players from last season are ranked with noobs at times.

A user plays "10 games" and their rank is determined. From then on, they play people in their tier. Beating a higher tier means your rank will go higher faster. Losing to a lower tier you lose more points towards your rank.

I think games like CS:GO and League implement this system, I am not sure on this. It is the bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond.

So why implement this?

Let's be real. OVR doesn't determine skill it determines time put in. Win Loss Records can fool people. As a player can have a good rank from always playing a squad and playing against bums. A good player can have a bad record from playing with randoms.

The Solution/New System

Unranked Lobby.
Here anything goes. Randoms can have their fun playing against other randoms. Casuals can play other casuals. Easy going no scutinizing, no pressure. Hell people can test builds here.

Ranking Seasons.

The game is released in September now and the NBA Pre-Season starts in October. So let's divide the "seasons" like this. Maybe mirror the "seasons" to the real NBA.

Pre Season (short)
September - Opening Night(Mid-October)

This will be shorter as players are just freshly created. People testing archetypes etc.

Early Season (long)
Opening Night-Christmas Day

With game being out for nearly a month, players have figured out their role in squads and archetype strengths/weaknesses. The real life NBA season is up and rolling.

New Years Resolution(short)
January to All-Star Break(Late February)

Now users are accustomed to their players. Short season as the next one will be a long one.

Post All Star Break - End of Regular Season
After All Star Game and Trade Deadline (Late Feb) - End of season (Early April?)

This is longer and where teams in the real NBA are trying to hit their stride for the playoffs. At this point of the year, users are well aware of the game and tactics.

Playoffs(long)
Beginning of Playoffs(Early April - Conclusion of NBA Finals(June)

Same tone as "Post All Star Break"

Off-Season
Post NBA Finals-Release of next NBA 2k

Same tone as "Post All Star Break" and "Playoffs"

Now maybe there are better names but hopefully you guys get the idea of the "seasons". The reason of breaking up the year is for players to have the chance to show their growth. I have been playing Siege that implements this system and have noticed my progression. As I have ended season being a "Gold Rank" now here I am ending up in high platinum.

If players don't reach the highest rank at the end of games lifespan than their is always next year and so on.

Maybe change the bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond to pro/all-star/superstar/legend.

Ranked Lobbies
This works like how in previous 2k's "Rival Day."

So only "Pros" can enter lobbies with other "Pros".
So only "Superstars" can enter lobbies with other "Superstars".

You get the point.

But what if a player has a squad and are all different ranks?
If they have a player that has a "superstar" then they can bring them to the "superstar" lobby.

For ProAM Walk-On

Make sure that each team has the same amount of value. So a team of "superstars" can't player a team of "pros". A combination of "all-stars" and "superstars" can play a team of with similar mix. etc.

To be honest, I only thought of the lobby system for playground and didn't think that deeply of walk on.

Add some matchmaking 2k. There are too many different groups of players playing this game. There are children, newcomers, young teens, college kids, people who have jobs. Everyone is at a different level. The game gets repetitive and even more irritating when you have teammates that don't know how to play.

With the lobby system atleast the odds of finding better teammates will be better. More competitive/consistent games will be played. People will enjoy the game no matter how good they are. Less blowouts in playground and less people messaging others bashful messages. Fun games more consistently.

Keep the stage for people who want to wager their VC, but make it separate If the the stage cheesers are part of the ranking system they still will probably be ranked against other cheesers because they will be in their tier.

If you made it this far,thank you for reading. I hope this gives possible solutions and keeps 2k great. As the dev team has improved this game and with the backlash from customers/reviewers of microtransactions this could change the game. The community needs it. Youtubers can't fool the community by showing gameplay against bums.

Bring back the fun for all levels.

Last edited by nyccc; 12-29-2017 at 12:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Rookie

parky_17's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2k19 ProAm/Playground Needs Matchmaking

[/quote]
Let's be real. OVR doesn't determine skill it determines time put in. Win Loss Records can fool people. As a player can have a good rank from always playing a squad and playing against bums. A good player can have a bad record from playing with randoms.
[/quote]

This couldn't be more true. I just had a session with a 67ovr and a 76ovr guy in the playground and we had a little win streak of 4 or 5 games where we were beating teams of 80s and 90s overall because we were playing good team basketball, playing good D and moving the ball around on offense. Then when they had to go I played with to high 80 overall guys and they were terrible

So yeah just goes to show overall means jack

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
TORONTO BLUE JAYS
WASHINGTON CAPITALS
DETROIT PISTONS
Old 12-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
3. Big Men are too fast. Does anyone really notice a difference between a 35-50 speed? I sure don't.
2k19 in general, specifically throughout MyCareer, needs to fix this.

If you're NOT making a max weight C at this point, you're at a clear disadvantage due to the overpowered strength while there's somehow a similarity in the speed between a max and min weight guy - same archetype and height.

It makes no sense, whatsoever.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
MVP

ph33's Arena

One thing to add in matchmaking is they should allow people to list what position they'd be willing to play. For example, I don't mind if my point plays the 1 or 2, I don't mind if my SG plays 1-2-3, if I want my center only at the 5, etc.

People often get thrown into playing a position they don't want with randoms. in NHL, you used to get thrown into lobbies and picking a position was free for all, whoever gets it first. 2-3 years ago they introduced "Wing or defense" so that you can be in a lobby that has room for that.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
Rookie

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccc
Defending Sharpshooters

Limitless Range is too OP. Seriously, this breaks the game the effectiveness of this and this has been an issue for the last few years.

Steph Curry does not connect 75% of his long range bombs.

I don't think I need to elaborate more on this issue? For those of you who think it is able to be countered read my next few notes.

Pick Defense
With the NBA using more pick/rolls more than ever it's important that the 2k adds more animations or controls for defenders to switch between the ball handler and pick player.

There needs to be a button for a hard hedge. Yes, you could sprint with a hand up and jumpout on a shooter but come on lets make it easier for a defender. Because it is so easy for a shooter to zig zag and shoot a limitless range three. Either make the limitless range three harder to hit or make the defense easier to guard.

In Playground the simple fact, that 3 is more than 2 it kind of kills all badges that have no shooting in it. Yes the game is changing but lets not forget there are maneuvers/tactics in the NBA for pick n roll defense. The game is evolving and 2k needs to adapt as well.

Off Ball Defense/Passing Distance.
The title for this one make be obscure but what irks me here is the tactic of
a shooter running behind a ball handler to get a three

Yes, Hand offs are used often in the NBA but for competitve/experienced 2k players know this issue. A shooter will run behind a ball handler at the top of the key and the shooter will be almost teleported to the corner three and its GG after that. It's as if the ball handler is setting a pick AND pass at the same time.

This is counterable but takes too much effort/timing to stop consistently. For example switching is an option but is this tactic realistic? Either let the defender be able to run around the ball handler quicker or just shorten the pass distance when a player is running behind another player on the perimeter.

If anyone has video of this please share as I feel my point isn't clear.

.[/b]

[url=""][/URL
]

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »