Home

2K19: Long Pass Spam

This is a discussion on 2K19: Long Pass Spam within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
2K19: Long Pass Spam

I'll make this short and sweet, sufficeth to say that this can't be in the game past 2K18...we've struggled with this in some form since 2K16.

The problem is rooted in the fact that defenders 1) dont get back facing the ball 2) dont attack the ball and 3) dont appear aware of it until the offensive player catches it. This needs a complete paradigm shift next year so that the chances these long passes will go out of bounds for a turnover DWARFS the chances they'll be completed.

I mean....how confident do you have to be that Embiid's a moron than to throw THIS pass knowing he's back on D.

And of course, Embiid not only watches but then Willie Reid �� (speed with ball 41) blows past him for a dunk. Just WOW....everyone can't be Iverson with the dribble penetration next year either �� the long pass + everyone-can-penetrate-like-AI thing is a doozy.

More episodes of the long pass foolishness:

Next year let's leave this kind of arcade gameplay in The Park where it belongs.

Last edited by Kushmir; 01-05-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: 2K19: Long Pass Spam

I guess I don't agree with what your saying. Long passes are part of basketball. Especially the good passers.

Last 2 years I've fought for what passing is right now.

You can't go just throwing passes now like in years before. If a defender is in the area of a long (any pass for that matter). The offensive player will fumble the ball. Another nice addition they added was the CPU has a passing vision thing (think madden passing vision). All defenders not looking at the ball will lose track of it.

All these passes look legit in my opinion. People are trying to bring this game down to a half court game all the time. But basketball is more than that. You should be able to throw long passes with good passers.

Then whats the point of having a great passers?
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Are these cheese passes if it's Kemba Walker, Kyle Lowry, and Delon Wright(bobbled instance) throwing these passes?

I agree that the Embiid one was egregious.

https://www.twitch.tv/orlandotill

Protesting PNO
MTU

PSN: OrlandoTill
Old 01-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Yeah we're on different sides of the fence here, jeebs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Then whats the point of having a great passers?
Not to make defenders stupid....in the same way defenders shouldnt part like the red sea for an elite rated player who's driving....they shouldn't turn into idiots just because a good passer is the one throwing the dime.

I don't know how anyone can look at the defender reactions in any of those clips and be like: "Yup...that's what defenders should do." but hey--maybe that's just me.

Defenders get back facing the ball....that's basketball 101.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Hit ahead passes when no defender is there? FINE. I've got zero issue with a good passer making that play.

But defenders right there in the play (and not facing the ball when they should be?) conceding the catch? Naw...that's horrible gameplay.

Look at 1:12 of the clip you posted....why is Eric Maynor facing the play but Collison still with his back to the ball when they're in the paint already? Van Horn has his back to the ball too....but then his psychic senses kick in when Kidd passes it? NAW.

Thats bad gameplay. If anything show me Van Horn looking back for the ball so I know he's ready to receive a pass--by your logic he should be unaware as well, no?

The next play at 1:17 I like...#14 steals the ball because he's facing the ball (as most defenders should be) and you pass it CROSS-COURT into his vicinity and he reacts...just like he should. And i'm not only advocating steals, lets see deflections out of bounds...SOMETHING. Anything but defenders simply watching the ball whiz by their heads.

Because the real problem is that the long pass unrealistically breaks the defense and creates open shots galore:

Last edited by Kushmir; 01-05-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Long passes aren't actually the main issue.

The real problem is that the defense still doesn't set up at an NBA level speed.

Whether you pass the ball quickly up the court or you take a player and sprint up the court yourself, you will probably expose some massive holes in the defense.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #7
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0

I don’t think the problem is long passes. I can throw a pass to an open man down court fairly easily, and these are NBA players. They know how to make a pass.

In my opinion, the problem is that the defense doesn’t get back fast enough. They slowly jog up court with no sense of urgency
Old 01-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoTill
Are these cheese passes if it's Kemba Walker, Kyle Lowry, and Delon Wright(bobbled instance) throwing these passes?

I agree that the Embiid one was egregious.
That's because Embid is big man. Your little guys have to help him get back.

The other thing most people don't have on. Is to have your defense run back. Instead of crashing the boards.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »