Home

Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time

This is a discussion on Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 PM   #73
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
We differ a little here. You can't get a block a shot before the ball has been shot--you just can't. I think we all agree (or should) that if you hit block before the ball's been shot the foul outcomes should be EXTREMELY HIGH. Also: A pump fake is not a shot.

When you try to block a person pump-faking you've lost IMO. You got "GOT".

That's where stripping the ball comes in...you should be able to strip people pump-faking (think Charles Smith lol) and it should one of the most effective counters IMO. BUT STRIP AND BLOCK ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. At the same time that's why i've advocated so hard for the "Hands up Contain" because it gives defenders an effective foul-averse way to affect the offense.

This is also why the block window must be at the ball's highest point--using the ball as a visual cue is absolutely necessary for shot-blocks...THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT. Then people can go after the ball instead of the pump-fake....like was done here:

They had that active hands badge on older games. It was a great badge and very useful against pumpfakes, and slow moves that exposed the basketball. I am a proponent of the ball coming loose when guys fall into it on pumpfakes some what. IMO it is the same as a person stripping the ball on the way down which happens alot irl. The pumpfake is way to effective around the rim as is, and if they won't let us strip the ball with the steal button, then I am all for knocking it loose in other ways. However, if a guy jumps on a pumpfake and falls into any part of the offensive player's body it should be a foul. On jumpshots and in the paint.

Additionally, I have had alot of success with double tapping the L2 button on pumpfakes, alot of times that will trigger the bodyup animation around the paint.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 01-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #74
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Left and Right stick
I'm going for the shot. But I'm going into him.
I have had zero success with this post patches.

Settings I play on.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #75
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

We differ there guys....strips on the way down from defenders who left their feet? NAH. That doesn't happen enough for it to be a gameplay mechanic. If you fall for a pump fake you're whistled or you miss the block and are out of position...

BALANCE BEFORE REALISM. We can't be rewarding failure....

Now i'm ok with elite shot-blockers SOMETIMES still being in decent position and getting a quick second jump sometimes (bad defenders should have a long cool-down...i've always liked that as a differentiator) but strips on the way down? NAH. You pick paper, rock or scissors. When the opponent outsmarts you u dont get to change your mind all of a sudden. You already chose your action...you chose WRONG. There have to be consequences to that.

Also strip is square...it cant be hands up equals strips too (and strips should be really effective on static players and pump-fakes)....if you want to strip/dislodge the ball you have to do something....not fall for a fake and land on someone.

That's rewarding spam like below. Which we should never support....you empower guys pogo-sticking all over the place with mechanics like that.

Last edited by Kushmir; 01-10-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #76
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
They had that active hands badge on older games. It was a great badge and very useful against pumpfakes, and slow moves that exposed the basketball. I am a proponent of the ball coming loose when guys fall into it on pumpfakes some what. IMO it is the same as a person stripping the ball on the way down which happens alot irl. The pumpfake is way to effective around the rim as is, and if they won't let us strip the ball with the steal button, then I am all for knocking it loose in other ways. However, if a guy jumps on a pumpfake and falls into any part of the offensive player's body it should be a foul. On jumpshots and in the paint.

Additionally, I have had alot of success with double tapping the L2 button on pumpfakes, alot of times that will trigger the bodyup animation around the paint.
That's exactly how I see it as well.

I just saw CP3 strip someone on the way down the other day.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 PM   #77
MVP

OVR: 10

2 thoughts:

One is it shouldn't be cheesy to have the ability to set yourself up with pump fakes because you should be able to either, get in a better position to seal off moves or just outright steal the ball. If things are 'balanced.'

Secondly, that's why I still advocate for a branching animation system, and I think that's the way of the future. 2k might miss out. Basically, I would like to see contact animations (can start simple at first) be created based on what each player was doing before, then allow for input after, both in the post and for driving. It would solve a lot of these problems.

So for instance, you move into someone, contact occurs based on the power and direction of each player, and each user is then allowed a chance to input a new command, like for instance to bump someone then spin off, and they would have to then choose something to defend against that, or if you pump fake someone up and get contact, you should be able to get a contact animation that leads you to a power lay up through them or a finesse lay up around them, both which happen ALL OF THE TIME in NCAA and NBA bball.

I don't like to play the 'watch a game' card, but really a lot of this stuff is way more unrealistic than you guys think it is. You shouldn't have to walk on eggshells to score around someone who is in the air.

-Smak
Old 01-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #78
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
We differ there guys....strips on the way down from defenders who left their feet? NAH. That doesn't happen enough for it to be a gameplay mechanic. If you fall for a pump fake you're whistled or you miss the block and are out of position...

BALANCE BEFORE REALISM. We can't be rewarding failure....

Now i'm ok with elite shot-blockers SOMETIMES still being in decent position and getting a quick second jump sometimes (bad defenders should have a long cool-down...i've always liked that as a differentiator) but strips on the way down? NAH. You pick paper, rock or scissors. When the opponent outsmarts you u dont get to change your mind all of a sudden. You already chose your action...you chose WRONG. There have to be consequences to that.

Also strip is square...it cant be hands up equals strips too (and strips should be really effective on static players and pump-fakes)....if you want to strip/dislodge the ball you have to do something....not fall for a fake and land on someone.

That's rewarding spam like below. Which we should never support....you empower guys pogo-sticking all over the place with mechanics like that.

I dont get blocked by the body that often, so maybe i dont fully understand. In my league there arent alot of blocked shots. I dont have any player avg 1 block a gm. 4.7 as a team per gm.

Settings I play on.

Last edited by alabamarob; 01-10-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:02 AM   #79
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0

What happens 80% of the times to me is this:

I try to get over my right side as soon as I see Ibaka jumping to my left side. Not able to do so, as the ball gets knocked loose before I can do anything.

Same here:

Yeah, sometimes in rare cases, I can get by my defender by doing a step through:

But that is not the norm, though it should be. In real life, doing this move, I would score or draw the foul most of the times. Or at least I would have an open layup, which I would miss sometimes, sure, but a block by the defender? Never...Maybe a strip, but that should only happen if a defender goes for a steal, not for a block!

Last edited by jk31; 01-11-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #80
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
What happens 80% of the times to me is this:

I try to get over my right side as soon as I see Ibaka jumping to my left side. Not able to do so, as the ball gets knocked loose before I can do anything.

Same here:

Yeah, sometimes in rare cases, I can get by my defender by doing a step through:

But that is not the norm, though it should be. In real life, doing this move, I would score or draw the foul most of the times. Or at least I would have an open layup, which I would miss sometimes, sure, but a block by the defender? Never...Maybe a strip, but that should only happen if a defender goes for a steal, not for a block!
I see what your problem is though. Your attempting the layup on the wrong side. You should be faking one more time. Seems like your timing is messed up too (I think in the second one). Again I'm not saying it's perfect.

The third one is what your looking to do. Just need to go with the other hand.

I repeat lol.... I'm not crazy about it. But that's how it works for the time being. And with so many threads about the same sujbect. I'm sure 2k will find something else or change it up.... again

Last edited by jeebs9; 01-11-2018 at 09:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »