Home

Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time

This is a discussion on Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #17
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time

The only way it doesn't work is if CPU defenders are falling for pumpfakes and giving the other team freethrows but they rarely fall for those in this game to begin with
Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
The balance is stop jumping. There are nba players who “spam” pump fakes to get defenders to bite.

I doubt 2k took it out for balance all those fouls may have lengthened games. Right now bad Defense is being rewarded.

This is a game where there’s already insane recovery time/closeouts nobody speaks about an imbalance there.
That looks perfect and how it should be. Not sure I follow why you would defend removing it.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #19
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
I'm only talking about in the paint. The problem with what you guys think will happen is that its completely not a negative. You guys are implying that having people jumping when they're not supposed to and getting called for fouls in the paint is something that can be abused...but that doesn't make sense.

Unlike contact poster dunks or whatever, YOU jumping on defense requires YOU to press jump. You can't get sucked into an animation foul of jumping on a pumpfaking defender if YOU don't jump. This can only be abused if the defender doesn't learn their lesson and doesn't jump at every shot in the paint. An animation poster dunk is a one person animation that the defence can't do anything about. What I'm talking about requires participation by both parties. If I'm on offense, I pumpfake and YOU willingly jump towards me in the paint, you should almost automatically get a foul. Theres no being sucked into something you didn't press or any excuse that the game did something you didn't press.

Bring help defenders, or stand there with your hands up. You can even jump after most shot animations and 2k still counts that as contests. There is literally no way this can be abused vs people that understand how to play basketball

Most solutions to problems shouldn't be binary but this is one that is in real life. You're rarely going to catch a big man jump early and not get called for a foul if the offensive player goes through them. Its a very easy call to make
Quote:
The only way it doesn't work is if CPU defenders are falling for pumpfakes and giving the other team freethrows but they rarely fall for those in this game to begin with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
That looks perfect and how it should be. Not sure I follow why you would defend removing it.
I just can't with this kind of thinking. Real life does not translate to video games. The Human aspect of annoying as hell

It's that easy. Right now, all you have to do is pick the right side as the offensive player to make the basket.

You guys actually want a user to sit there and keep pump faking over and over again. That's not only annoying to watch. But no player in his right mind would sit there and pump fake over and over in real life.

My only resolution would be to make it a dice roll. And even then foul or no call sucks. I think their current situation plays out well in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 10:08 PM   #20
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I just can't with this kind of thinking. Real life does not translate to video games.
This is very true...one thing that'll never change as long as games can't be perfect with their physics/interactions is that BALANCE comes over realism. ALWAYS.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #21
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I just can't with this kind of thinking. Real life does not translate to video games. The Human aspect of annoying as hell

It's that easy. Right now, all you have to do is pick the right side as the offensive player to make the basket.

You guys actually want a user to sit there and keep pump faking over and over again. That's not only annoying to watch. But no player in his right mind would sit there and pump fake over and over in real life.

My only resolution would be to make it a dice roll. And even then foul or no call sucks. I think their current situation plays out well in my opinion.

The issue you think is apparent is a non issue. Standing under the rim pumpfaking can only happen for so long before you get 3 in the key, and standing with your hands up when right next to a guy counts as a smother contest, so even if you opt not to even do a vertical contest you're stil effectively contesting shots at the rim if you stay down. I'm not seeing what the issue would be for punishing bad defenders that just jump spam. Right now they are rewarded by doing that because the game will cause their bodies to knock the ball out of your hands 60% of the time. Sometimes I won't even go up with the ball, just fake and them jumping towards me will knock the ball out of my hands before I get to press anything else.

I'm not seeing the excuse for why calling more fouls for bad defense is a bad thing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #22
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
I'm only talking about in the paint. The problem with what you guys think will happen is that its completely not a negative. You guys are implying that having people jumping when they're not supposed to and getting called for fouls in the paint is something that can be abused...but that doesn't make sense.

Unlike contact poster dunks or whatever, YOU jumping on defense requires YOU to press jump. You can't get sucked into an animation foul of jumping on a pumpfaking defender if YOU don't jump. This can only be abused if the defender doesn't learn their lesson and doesn't jump at every shot in the paint. An animation poster dunk is a one person animation triggered by one user that the defence can't do anything about Kushmir. What I'm talking about requires participation by both parties. If I'm on offense, I pumpfake and YOU willingly jump towards me in the paint, you should almost automatically get a foul. Theres no being sucked into something you didn't press or any excuse that the game did something you didn't press.

Bring help defenders, or stand there with your hands up. You can even jump after most shot animations and 2k still counts that as contests. There is literally no way this can be abused vs people that understand how to play basketball

Most solutions to problems shouldn't be binary but this is one that is in real life. You're rarely going to catch a big man jump early and not get called for a foul if the offensive player goes through them. Its a very easy call to make
You're a smart guy U. R. but it's a slippery slope, TRUST....you mentioned AI defenders not being stupid in your other response but keep in mind they WERE last year. Imagine they are next year....or if elite users know how to get the AI to jump--now you've given them the ability to draw fouls at will....IMO its just a bad idea to go with a single outcome.

Numerous bad outcomes are just better and give gameplay the variety it needs.

I'm all for bad outcomes when guys get faked out but we gotta be careful. Look how dribble penetration broke the game this year because it didnt have bad outcomes. We cant willfully create that again.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #23
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
The issue you think is apparent is a non issue. Standing under the rim pumpfaking can only happen for so long before you get 3 in the key, and standing with your hands up when right next to a guy counts as a smother contest, so even if you opt not to even do a vertical contest you're stil effectively contesting shots at the rim if you stay down. I'm not seeing what the issue would be for punishing bad defenders that just jump spam. Right now they are rewarded by doing that because the game will cause their bodies to knock the ball out of your hands 60% of the time. Sometimes I won't even go up with the ball, just fake and them jumping towards me will knock the ball out of my hands before I get to press anything else.

I'm not seeing the excuse for why calling more fouls for bad defense is a bad thing
Did you watch my video?

Did you you not notice he didn't get one 3 second call?

Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #24
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

See the thing is that if the AI is consistent with how it is now (they rarely jump in the paint when its 1on1) then everything will be fine. If anything, I'm fine with the extreme of the CPU never jumping and the pumpfake foul interaction only being possible between users or CPU vs CPU rather than the extreme of people never getting foul calls for jumping all over you and even getting rewarded for it by getting fake blocks

Theres currently a thread on here about how the CPU never falls for pumpfakes. If that continues there won't be a problem

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »