Home

Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time

This is a discussion on Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2018, 02:30 PM   #57
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Jumping on a pumpfake in the paint should lead to a foul 90% of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
No this has to with him kicking it out to an open teammate. But if anyone think he should score here. Or even get a shot at the rim. You don't know about balance. This is an easy kick for a wide open shot.
He drew two defenders because of the rebound and faked it and got them both in the air. Maybe he would have passed the ball to the teammate that would have been open but he didn't get the chance to because the defender jumped into him and the game decided that he should lose the ball. If you think that that was an appropriate defensive play you don't understand balance lmao. The defender made the wrong decision by jumping at a pumpfake. He didn't try to strip the ball or keep his hands up to deny a kick to the outside. He bit on a pumpfake and it worked in his favour. That's not balance lol

Explain how in real life, a big can get a two players to jump into him and there won't be a foul call? Him going back up with it and missing makes more sense than a defender jumping into him and being rewarded with a "block"

Edit: I think I get what you think you saw Jeebs. No he wasn't going up again. Thats just the generic flailing animation they play when you get stripped when someone jumps into you like that. I get that same dumb animation all the time too. You could fake and be about to pass it because you drew a double and the game will play that same animation and you lose the ball. I even described it in the post where I quoted myself from early about the big man flailing and losing the ball after getting a defender to jump into him

Last edited by UnbelievablyRAW; 01-10-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM   #58
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
It does the play out if the user triggers it. The defender needs to be aggerivse contesting

It's not that hard to do. Like I said in the other post. I have this done at least once or twice a game. I just couldn't collect them all into a video.
Alright, so do you point the left stick at the defender or the right stick at the defender?

Do you go into another pump fake when he's aggressively contesting to draw the foul?

How do you trigger it? Because I've only done it 3 times since I've had the game and was only able to do it ONCE the entirety of 2k17, and that was by complete accident.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #59
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
Edit: I think I get what you think you saw Jeebs. No he wasn't going up again. Thats just the generic flailing animation they play when you get stripped when someone jumps into you like that. I get that same dumb animation all the time too. You could fake and be about to pass it because you drew a double and the game will play that same animation and you lose the ball. I even described it in the post where I quoted myself from early about the big man flailing and losing the ball after getting a defender to jump into him
Thats the issue then. I've never seen that animation activate in the paint when I'm not pressing a button....2K17? Yes...but not this year....I don't beleive the person in that gif was just sitting there neutral.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #60
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Thats the issue then. I've never seen that animation activate in the paint when I'm not pressing a button....2K17? Yes...but not this year....

If you have too fast of a reaction(or know what your opponent is going to do) that animation happens frequently.

I'll be in the post, get my defender to jump, KNOW someone is going to help one pass away, try to pass it, but then my defender comes down on me and I get that animation and thus the ball gets stripped from me (and the one who helped one pass away ends up recovering it SMH)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #61
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar53
If you have too fast of a reaction(or know what your opponent is going to do) that animation happens frequently.

I'll be in the post, get my defender to jump, KNOW someone is going to help one pass away, try to pass it, but then my defender comes down on me and I get that animation and thus the ball gets stripped from me (and the one who helped one pass away ends up recovering it SMH)
Right, and I'm not advocating the animation....but I believe Raw was saying he could not be making a move at all and someone could essentially come and 'jump' the ball away from him...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #62
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
Y'all are talking to me about something other than what I was describing in the OP. 24th kind of alluded to it, but when people jump near you, the ball becomes super tangible all of a sudden.

What I was describing was because pumpfaking in the paint is very effective (because everyone assumes if you get the ball there, you're going to just quickly throw it up), people are prone to jump into you and the ball gets knocked out of your hands BEFORE you decide to go another direction, pass the ball etc. This has nothing to do with avoiding the guys body during my shot, or learning how to do post moves, and solely to do with people being rewarded with these fake 'blocks' (because the game counts it as a block) from just jumping into centres.

Managed to find exactly what I'm talking about from a reddit post about it. Look at how he pumpfakes after the rebound, gets the guys in the air, then the game strips him of the ball because the defender on his right just jumps into him. That has nothing to do with learning how to use post moves.

We've always agreed here. This is an easy foul call/defender missing the block and being out of position. Its horrible timing by him and it can't result in a positive play for the defense.

What i've suggested is that the hands up animation contains people who are static and just waiting for defenders to jump. (based on defensive ratings of course) that way its a chess game and just waiting has a downside.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #63
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
We've always agreed here. This is an easy foul call/defender missing the block and being out of position. Its horrible timing by him and it can't result in a positive play for the defense.

What i've suggested is that the hands up animation contains people who are static and just waiting for defenders to jump. (based on defensive ratings of course) that way its a chess game and just waiting has a downside.

I think there is a way to cause the crowding animation. I've done it a few times. It's in the controls, but I can't do it all the time for some reason. Kind of like you can perfectly time a steal, but if you don't have the Pick Pocket badge you are not getting the ball loose.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #64
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
No this has to do with him kicking it out to an open teammate. But if anyone think he should score here. Or even get a shot at the rim. You don't know about balance. This is an easy kick for a wide open shot. 2 defenders on one player. Shouldn't result in a positive play. I don't care what anyone says. Especially a shot attempt.

Yes, It's not clean in anyway. But he should looking to pass.
We differ a little here....I agree there's someone open but the user has a right to take any shot they like. Especially when the defense has made a mistake (and they did here). Say its a last second Offensive Board down one and its Cousins or Tyson Chandler down there with two guards....its literally the best play in that instance.

I like that the post shots/putbacks from offensive rebounds are harder now but the defense still has to make the right play.....and they didnt here. The foul outcomes should far outnumber anything else.

I like to call the play below 2K's "Catch-22" when the shot clock is running down and defenders anticipate a shot and leap for a block. We all know you might as well shoot because no foul is gonna be called but thats terrible gameplay and its at the core of why shooter/defender interactions are so bad in 2K. The user should be able to draw a foul in many of those instances...not anything automatic but it should be a threat.

Last edited by Kushmir; 01-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »