Home

Questionable myPlayer build choices and what to do next

This is a discussion on Questionable myPlayer build choices and what to do next within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
MVP

ph33's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Questionable myPlayer build choices and what to do next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
I have a 6'6 pure playmaker (my favourite player)
6'6 pure slasher (lot of fun at the start, but bored with him now)
6'4 playmaking slasher
6'7 playmaking shot creator

I also have around 200k vc to create a new player now, but don't know what to go with.
Looks like you need to join the fatass 7'3 340 club
Old 01-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
Looks like you need to join the fatass 7'3 340 club
Trying to avoid it this year. I've made centers every year since 14. I just see it as a far less skilled, archetype-reliant position this time around; I've toyed with a pure post scorer, but I can't trust the 2k blocking system from dudes biting on fakes etc.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
Try one of the following when you're reedy for a new grind:

6ft4 to 6ft7 PG
Primary Shot Creator
Secondary Slasher
>>> Go Slasher Primary if you want better dunking ability

6ft4 to 6ft7 PG
Primary Shot Creator
Secondary Playmaking
>>> Improves your shooting and finishing ability

The first build has some thresholds for contact dunks and speed boosting but it could take a long time to reach speed boosting cap at some heights on some builds like, 95 overall long just to get that attribute cap that'll hit the mark and unlock that new ability.

I like the 2nd build for you at 6ft7

You can look into the builds more here:

https://www.nba2klab.com/nba-2k18-attribute-caps/

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Do you (or anyone else) have thoughts on the reverse of the 2nd build?

I have a Primary: Playmaking Secondary: Shot Creator 6'5 PG but just cant consistently knock down open shots to the point where I feel like I'm not getting much out of my secondary choice. I really do not want to grind another character so does anyone have any tips to make the build better at stretching the floor? I can get to the rim nicely and playmaking is satisfying but I'm really bad at shooting

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplechin
Do you (or anyone else) have thoughts on the reverse of the 2nd build?

I have a Primary: Playmaking Secondary: Shot Creator 6'5 PG but just cant consistently knock down open shots to the point where I feel like I'm not getting much out of my secondary choice. I really do not want to grind another character so does anyone have any tips to make the build better at stretching the floor? I can get to the rim nicely and playmaking is satisfying but I'm really bad at shooting
I checked out the numbers and your shooting is respectable for both intermediate range and perimeter.

I suspect it's a matter of finding the right jumper for yourself. I recommend to keep the build if you have already achieved 85 overall. Keep grinding those badges and unlock those attribute caps.

Regarding the jumpers: find a base you're comfortable with and from there start modifying different releases that fit your timing preference. With that speed with ball and ball control you could even create separation for moving shots. It's still a matter of using an effective jumpshot animation for those catch and shoot and transition pull up looks.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzis
Are you interested in pro-am team or walk-on?

In pro-am team almost every build can be useful and competetive provided that you discuss it with your teammates before. e.g.
you can use the SG slashing point guard, if your fellow PG is not a playmaker or will share with you ball-handling duties;
you can use the pure lockdown PG if you will be in charge of defending on whoever is the more dangerous between the opposite PG/SG (6'5 can be too small for defending most of SFs);
you can use the playmaking rebounder if you have teammates spotting up on the 3pt line after you get an offensive rebound, ready to shoot the 3, or your guys will leak out as soon as you get a defensive rebound

if you play walk on with randoms, then you have to choose more "obvious" builds, as the ones suggested above.
Ideally I want to be viable in both. I agree in pro-am team a lot more builds are viable, but I haven't had great luck in getting consistent team participation.

Also, as for the pure lockdown PG, until you play with this build its hard to comprehend how badly is screwed. Literally it has speed/accel in the mid 90s but a speed with ball in the 50s. So for example if you leak on the break and receive slightly before midcourt there's a good chance you'll get caught because its like your player suddenly turned on magnetized shoes. It basically breaks the whole player attribute system. My 7'3 340 pound center has a 3-pointer 10 points higher than my lockdown PG!
Old 01-10-2018, 05:32 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Another one I like for you:

6ft3 to 6ft7 PG
Primary Shot Creator
Secondary Sharpshooter

You don't need Playmaking to be a Playmaker. Let that settle in. This will expand the range you can work with and still maintain your Playmaking capacity.

This build here is a threat shooting and finishing at the rim. It's similar to the first build but this one offers more inside outside balance. You still get the handles and you will have decent enough athleticism to neat your man and finish around the rim.

Being able to shoot on your own is helpful in Pro Am. You'll be able to take transition 3s and intermediate jumpers. It opens up your team's spacing. You'll draw attention and this will invite your Playmaking options.

This third build comes down to size re; how you want to play and how athletic you want to feel.

https://www.nba2klab.com/nba-2k18-attribute-caps/

This is the build I've been considering. Shot creating is a skill I've never really developed as a player because I've been very team ball oriented. But being able to create shots can also be very important to the team, and it looks like stats like passing, ball control and defense are all solid.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
I checked out the numbers and your shooting is respectable for both intermediate range and perimeter.

I suspect it's a matter of finding the right jumper for yourself. I recommend to keep the build if you have already achieved 85 overall. Keep grinding those badges and unlock those attribute caps.

Regarding the jumpers: find a base you're comfortable with and from there start modifying different releases that fit your timing preference. With that speed with ball and ball control you could even create separation for moving shots. It's still a matter of using an effective jumpshot animation for those catch and shoot and transition pull up looks.

TY for the advice. BTW do you know if hot zones matter in ProAM this year? I have been hearing both answers. Yeah, I need to mess around with my jumpshot I suppose. I've been using the creator but need to stick to one and learn it.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
I continue to try different myplayer builds and I think I have a knack for investing time in builds that aren't particularly good. I'm concerned about going forward with anyone and eventually find myself not able to compete at a good level. I'm mostly interested in pro-am.

My personal 2K skills: Very good passer, defender and rebounder. Improving dribbling/stick skills but still need work. Big team player. Have had little practice in shot creation.

I'm going to run through the three I have, and I'm looking for advice on what I do next.

Build 1: Made on day 1 of the game:

6'7" SG, Primary Playmaking, Secondary Slashing, 90 OVR (close to 91)
I took this because I like playmaking, I like the versatility of the height, and wanted to push myself to learn dribbling moves.
Pros: Can do some of everything, has high passing and dribbling badges as well as gold acrobat, good athleticism. Can speed boost, HOF ankle breaker.
Cons: No shooting badges, mid-70s 3 ptr and mid range. Size means I often end up in SG or SF slot on Walk On and can't take advantage of my playmaking skills unless point is willing to give up the ball. Finishing is good but not great, so gets stuffed or miss chances at the rim that more elite slashers make. Not quite elite speed due to size. Some wasted badges due to the nature of 2K18 (lob city passer gold mostly)

6'5" PG, Pure Lockdown, 89 OVR
Made after seeing people get lit up by pure sharps and dribble spammers.

Pros: Its fun to completely shut down an opponent and get steals / can take a pure sharp out of the game, guard 4 positions. Good as an outlet on the break due to high athleticism.
Cons: So many. Terrible ballhandling (like a center) and shooting (worse than a center) for a guard, so so finishing. Apparently lockdown only effects the positions around you (i.e. a SF affects SG, SF, PF) so PG is the worst option. This build really gets screwed by 2K. Who the heck needs HOF charge card? No contact dunks/speed boosts or advance dribble moves. Despite gold pickpocket/99 steal due to the way 2K is programmed, centers can stand and dribble in front of me and I still don't get the ball a lot of the time, and if I do am too slow with it to get a breakaway.

7'3" C, Rebounding Playmaker, 82 OVR

Pros: Rebounding Centers are almost always viable, and this is no exception. Have had more 'player of game awards' in less time than other two builds. Can compete against higher OVR centers consistently. Eventually will get HOF Break Starter. Decent offensive skill set with mid-high 60s 3/mid, silver posterizer. Good screener
Cons: Not dominant at anything, very slow, playmaker gives some questionable badges (lob city passer, fancy passer) that I won't use much as a center.

So, do I stick with these or try yet ANOTHER build? The first one I've put the most energy into but it can be shut down easily by a rim protector on offense and needs to have ball in hands to be useful. The latter has its moments but I find I get most of my points on putbacks and such because I'm never a big option on offense, can get taken out of the game by stretch 5s. The lockdown is just completely screwed by how 2K treats that build.

Am really asking people who have played a lot of pro-am if any of these builds are worth it long term or am I just going to be frustrated forever and should try yet another?
This build is $$$$ trust me..

http://news.nba2kwishlist.com/nba2kmyplayer/5602

Plays like Shaq, it's #19 overall ranked build

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »