Home

Progression

This is a discussion on Progression within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
When you're still developing guys the best thing you can do to have them hit or break their potential is to keep their minutes low and training high in the first few seasons.

For example: Rookie season 10-15 mpg, 2nd season 20-25 mpg, 3rd season 30 mpg, 4th season they should be closing in on their potential as long as they aren't past their peak age.

After season 4 give them a lot of minutes. Serious injuries slow this process down and can even ruin a player's potential, meaning you'd have to restart the process with a new player.

Do some players just not develop? I have some guys with high potential that I train and that get plenty of minutes. But, they are not getting any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-29-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
MVP

jk31's Arena

Progression in this game is just too linear for my liking. In real life you will have players that perform very good in one season only to be much worse in the next one. Maybe it was just a fluke and they continue their good play after that? maybe it holds on? In 2k, players only get better all the time until they reach their peak end after which they get worse... It is so foreseeable.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #11
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
Progression in this game is just too linear for my liking. In real life you will have players that perform very good in one season only to be much worse in the next one. Maybe it was just a fluke and they continue their good play after that? maybe it holds on? In 2k, players only get better all the time until they reach their peak end after which they get worse... It is so foreseeable.
Well if you think about it thats the way it should be. Nobody really loses skill and gains it back at such a random rate, its all about the other factors in their environment that makes it seem like that. However IMO there's a couple things I'd like to see changed:

1) Separate ratings and progression/regression into different categories. Intangible/mental ratings never regress, physical ratings should always drop off around the same general timeframe for all players, skill ratings shouldnt have a huge drop off in regression. Each rating should be put into one of those three categories and each rating category should have its own progression/regression settings.

2) The current overall rating should be shown as a letter grade and there should be a different overall rating shown as "production" or something along those lines that influences things such as minutes, trade value, FA value, etc. If a player is a 80 ovr in todays NBA but puts up 25/5/9 consistently, he should have a much higher value than his actual overall rating suggests.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
MVP

jk31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
Well if you think about it thats the way it should be. Nobody really loses skill and gains it back at such a random rate, its all about the other factors in their environment that makes it seem like that.
Yeah but that is exactly how 2k produces their ratings. They just take the production of players in the NBA and use their (maybe fluctuating) output to determine ratings.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »