Home

Issues with 2K e-league being on a different build of the game?

This is a discussion on Issues with 2K e-league being on a different build of the game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #57
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Issues with 2K e-league being on a different build of the game?

I had a meeting/tour with members of OWL yesterday, and asked him about this. He said that Blizzard doesn't now or plan to maintain a separate build for OWL. The game the pros play is the same game casuals play. In fact, they go so far as to withhold updates to not materially impact the game during the season.

Jeebs is absolutely talking out of his rectum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #58
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

I understand Jeebs made an *** of himself with the statement but we still riding his *** after he conceded to move on is a bad look on us too.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 07:15 PM   #59
Pro

Not really. No one is riding his johnson by pointing out he made a ridiculous comment. It's okay to call him out on that as long as we maintain a somewhat respectful forum decorum

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #60
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I think by build he meant the latest most patched version of the current game. We're playing a different build of 2K18 today than we were at release. Same game just some things tweaked. I don't think it's deceiving or anything to get bent out of shape about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
I think the contributing factor to different "builds" is that there is going to be a transition from being a yearly title (which they are still contractually obligated to do) to being a 24/7 eSport.

There is no "League of Legends 2015" etc. They have many patches and balance updates over the course of the year but there is no official release.

Even then, non-annualized games with competitive scenes run their their competitions on the same latest patch that everyone plays on. This is why you get things like the League of Legends community releasing videos, streams, and interviews with pros talking to the overall community about how the game effects everyone.

Even when the game is constantly updated, the pros and the remaining community plat on the same build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
I had a meeting/tour with members of OWL yesterday, and asked him about this. He said that Blizzard doesn't now or plan to maintain a separate build for OWL. The game the pros play is the same game casuals play. In fact, they go so far as to withhold updates to not materially impact the game during the season.

This is like the example I mentioned of the most recent Rainbow Six Siege patch lacking character nerfs that the overall community wants, but were withheld for the short term consideration of the pro community. These are challenges that I hoped would help to improve 2K for everyone, but if the builds are different then they won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Great points man I think 2K might be the only sports game to do it at this point if thats even what it is..I know it couldn't be Madden because their patches affect all Game Modes as a unit (Competitive to Sim) which is why they are having a hard time balancing the patches, and gameplay vs. the outcry of the sim crowd..

Another challenge I hoped would improve 2K for the better.

I've already heard the 2K league attempting to separate the play of the 2K league from the larger community by discouraging the 5-out, which I can't stand personally, but from a competitive standpoint I don't see how they can try to dictate strategy and eliminate a tactic that works within the parameters of the game they created. In other games if a certain strategy or tactic is frowned upon by the developers they would change the game in a way that makes the strategy less viable and it would naturally fade from competition because of its ineffectiveness. These are the types of conflicts that I hoped the 2K league would surface and lead to 2K improving the game for everyone which is why I was interested when I heard about the 2K league being on a different build.

Since I don't have clear info on what the "different build" is exactly and how it will be used I'll have to wait and see how it plays out in a few months.

Last edited by killakrok; 01-27-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #61
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers 24 7
There is no other game that runs their league mode on a different build, but we're talking about a sports game here which is rather unique from other e-sport titles.

Personally, if it's not 1v1 with NBA teams I'm not interested in watching or playing. This pro-am stuff has nothing to do with basketball skills and isn't a good representation of the game.

Your opinion, but pro-am more closely represents the real NBA than a bunch of bots 1 person controls. The execution of it is a different story, but I put that more on 2K than the players themselves. 5 out would be less effective if the unlimited HOF badge didn't stretch the defense out to 40 feet out. But pro-am and esports plays plenty of sense 'cause it's team based all human.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2018, 08:22 PM   #62
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakrok
Even then, non-annualized games with competitive scenes run their their competitions on the same latest patch that everyone plays on. This is why you get things like the League of Legends community releasing videos, streams, and interviews with pros talking to the overall community about how the game effects everyone.
Why are people acting like this E League won't be the latest patch that everyone is playing on? None of the other tournaments were played on vastly different builds of the game. They patched/nurfed some things, and that was it. Why is this being perceived as anything different?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:43 AM   #63
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakrok

Even when the game is constantly updated, the pros and the remaining community play on the same build.
I think you are misunderstanding a bit here.

When NBA 2K19 releases there will still be an obligation to sell copies of NBA 2K20. If NBA 2K19's gameplay gets continually updated with 2K20 tech, then there ceases to be a compelling reason to drop $60 on the following year's game.

When a new Rainbow Six or Street Fighter game drops it isn't a patch update. It is a new version of the game that stands on its own and has a separate competitive scene from the previous iteration.

2K League (an NBA entity) wants to be an LoL-like scene with non-annualized updates, but 2K Sports (the game studio) still operates very much like the latter. Each yearly release of the game is essentially a new build (they just have much shorter dev cycles than your average game). Those are two distinctly different directions and eventually they will need to pick one before crashing into the highway divider.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 01-29-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 AM   #64
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
I understand Jeebs made an *** of himself with the statement but we still riding his *** after he conceded to move on is a bad look on us too.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
hahahahahaha Won't be the first time and won't be the last.

It's ok......let them keep going. It's the only thing keeping this thread alive lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »