Home

Alternative to MyNeighbourhood/ eSports suggestion

This is a discussion on Alternative to MyNeighbourhood/ eSports suggestion within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Alternative to MyNeighbourhood/ eSports suggestion

Over the last little while I've been turning over my mind thinking of how NBA 2k will run their eSports tournament. My small suggestion also removes the grind that is required to be competitive in any of the modes in MyNeighbourhood (Pro-am, Park, MyCareer) as I think it is based on a similar set up that EA had for NHL in the EASHL, where 6 human teammates compete against another 6 other human controlled in a competitive virtual sport using set archytypes that ratings weren't changeable by players. This puts stick skills and ability to perform your role for your team as well as execute as a team at the forefront of the game, rather than grinding.

The 2k would execute this is similar to pro-am, but restrict the archetypes and body types players have to emphasise skill. This avoids the current dilema of having 65 overalls matched against 88 and so on.

The game would require 2 teams to have a player from each position (PG,SG,SF,PF,C) and each position can only select from the pure builds they currently have avaiable in MyCareer, these are:

PG- Passing & Ballhandling, Shot Creating, Driving and Finishing, 3 Point, Defender
SG-Passing & Ballhandling, Shot Creating, Driving and Finishing, 3 Point, Defender
SF-Passing & Ballhandling, Shot Creating, Driving and Finishing, 3 Point, Defender, Rebounding, PostUp
PF- Driving and Finishing, 3 Point, Defender, Rebounding, PostUp
C-Driving and Finishing, 3 Point, Defender, Rebounding, PostUp

The difference being all heights and wingspans are locked for the positions. All PG would be single height (eg. 6'1, 50 wingspan). Rough suggestion of heights are PG- 6'1, SG-6'4, SF-6'7, PF- 6'10, C-7'1. This means you never have a team of 7'3 centers running around dunking on everyone. At this stage I'm assuming only strength affects the players ability to bully people so weight would be freely adjustable just like any other aesthetic side to a character (hair, accessories, shoes, skin colour).

As far as ratings of each player, 2k decides these, for my trial I've used an Archetype spreadsheet put together by Chase Daniels and selected used the maximum ratings for each group -10 to all stats. This way players are rated approximately mid 70s-low 80s, depending on the archetype and position. Hopefully eradicating stars who think they can do everything cause they are rated 90 overall. Having pre-determined ratings for each archetype and position gives the players a chance to trial different types. In MyCareer I'm a postup big, but don't have the time to muck around as a defensive point if I want to level up my main character.

With the set ratings and limited archetypes this should promote individual humans stick skills and team as 2k have limited. As such a game should promote an even team selection like in Overwatched, where a team is trying to balance the skills of the unit to complement each other. An example of balance would be this:

Having archetypes avaiable in different positions/heights shouldn't matter as the max speed and strength are capped by the powers that be an example from the spreadsheet for 3 point shooters is here:

Without knowing all the ins and the outs of the ratings I think some of the ratings should be the same for all archetypes, ratings such as Draw Foul, Hands, Hustle and Stamina.

Anyway, I could keep on going, but let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Clown.
Attached Images
File Type: png Balanced Teams.png (22.5 KB, 259 views)
File Type: png Size affecting ratings.png (39.5 KB, 259 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 PM   #2
Rookie

Ashuire's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Alternative to MyNeighbourhood/ eSports suggestion

I really like this idea. You kinda already see this with All-Star Team-Up, which works pretty well.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

I don't agree on some of your fixed mentions but I do support the concept. It's one I have been also sharing with my camp.

It makes a lot of sense to have Pro Am be the pick and play Competitive mode that doesn't require any type adventure grind to 99 or Legend rep status.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #4
Pro

I think 2k will allow folks to use their main player for the RTTASG or RTTF tournaments if they have one. I don't have a problem with that whatsoever. Word is that your actual player for the E-League will have a set rating. Devs were in streams discussing it with the bigger YouTubers when the game first dropped. The proposal may have changed by now but I'm sure 2k will try to find a way to balance the actual E-League itself.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
MVP

ph33's Arena

Love your idea. Only thing I would modify is to have more unique archetypes and different sizes within archetypes. I think people would get bored if every playmaking PG was 6'1. Maybe have a 6'4 playmaking PG that is better at some things than the 6'1 version, and vice versa.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
Love your idea. Only thing I would modify is to have more unique archetypes and different sizes within archetypes. I think people would get bored if every playmaking PG was 6'1. Maybe have a 6'4 playmaking PG that is better at some things than the 6'1 version, and vice versa.
I totally agree. I think freedom for a unique archetype and height would be preferred, but balancing would be the issue. My guess is will smaller players a quicker, made extra badges might help them perform as well.

My breakdown was for a little bit of a roster I was constructing to see how this idea would perform. So I broke it down to 5 positions with 5 set heights and all of the pure builds.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33

Yeah, I know I wouldnt want to watch if every player was the same size. The concept that the OP put out is a very good concept.

Now that I have heard what they are thinking of with this whole Esports deal, I think its going to be similia to what the OP mentioned. I think its a interesting idea that they are diving in too. Im not much into watching others play video games, like those war games, and stuff that kind of started this whole Esports idea, but considering we are actually talking about a real sport in basketball, with a video game sim of the real thing, I think it actually might be worth watching. If I was probably 20 to 25 yrs younger, Id probably even be interested in trying out to be a player

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 10-23-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
Pro

TheDuggler's Arena

They basically need to make this basketball-Overwatch and introduce classes/characters for people to pick (instead of using your MyCareer player), each with unique skills and abilities. We already have the badge system in place, isn't too far fetched.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »