Home

5 Ways NBA 2K19 Can Give Users More Control & Increase Its Skill Gap

This is a discussion on 5 Ways NBA 2K19 Can Give Users More Control & Increase Its Skill Gap within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2018, 04:53 PM   #17
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: 5 Ways NBA 2K19 Can Give Users More Control & Increase Its Skill Gap

The pass options sound super cool, except maybe map some of them to another button as well or something? I think clockwise and 10:30 is a little too much, but I like the ideas

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
A thing I would like to add is you should be able to intercept passes with the right stick. For example if you are standing in the passing lane of the ball and have a feeling that a pass soon will come your way then you can hold the right stick up (like when you contest a shot and have your hands up) to intercept the pass. Because as of right now I think it's way too hard to intercept passes with the square button as you have to time it absolutely perfect for it to be a steal. However for this not to be too overpowered you can add that while you are doing this your player's movement will be slower than it normally would be.
I feel like there's just too much frame delay/input lag to make off-ball steals a timing-based action in online matches of 2K.

Right now in 2K18, you have to be "predictive" when going for off-ball steals instead of being "reactive," meaning that you have to press your steal button a half-second before the pass animation even begins just to compensate for the frame delay/input lag.

Unless 2K19 finds a way to drastically reduce its frame delay/input lag in online matches (and given the series' long-documented struggle with those two issues, I doubt much improvement will be made), then I would rather have an auto-intercept system similar to EA's NHL games.

In NHL 18, if your defender's body is squared up and facing a pass before the pass animation begins, and he has his defensive stance button held down (left trigger), then the defender will automatically attempt to intercept the pass. A high-rated defender with good hands will usually come away with a clean pickoff and can immediately transition into a breakout pass. But a mediocre defender might bobble the puck for a second or two, and a low-rated defender might miss the puck completely and have it slide past his stick.

I think 2K19 should have a similar system where the intercept animations will automatically trigger if you're facing the pass prior to the start of the pass animation and you're in your defensive stance with the left trigger held down or you're pressing the right joystick with your hands up. As in NHL 18, the quality of the interception attempt (clean pick, deflection, miss) should depend on the player's defensive ratings and badges.

There are already some auto-intercept animations in 2K18, but this year, you'll only see them trigger occasionally on defense-first archetypes. It should be a much more consistent animation in 2K19, to deter the lead-pass cheese that most online players rely on while force-feeding passes into the paint for cheesy contact dunks.

Last edited by jyoung; 05-22-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 0

The auto hand switching only started this year if I recall correctly. Previous years was always manual. 2k definitely needs to fix it next year. List is cool though.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #20
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Swagglesworth
The stick passing thing is gonna be tough. Reduce the possible inputs to 4 imo. Not even pro fighting game players want to deal with that many inputs on normal stick controllers lol

Also give small explosive bigs a special super high jump/rebound button that takes longer to recover than the little hops the 7’3 giants make. It’ll give the small rebounders a realistic chance on the boards.
You mean the 7'3 colossi that can hop 100 times a second 3 feet in the air?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Re: 10 Ways NBA 2K19 Can Give Users More Control & Increase Its Skill Gap

Idk how they gonna do it but the skill gap must be a thing in 2k. 2k is the only game i play where the skill gap is so bad.

You look at the elites of 2k play and you don’t have the sense that they are doing things that you cannot do. Dribble spamming isn’t really skill based. It’s just learning the timing of dribbling and waiting for an ankle breaker animation.

2k is the only game i play where the only difference between great players and elite ones is spamming dribbles.

Go play For Honor. It’s only gonna take you 1 second to tell between a great player and a top 100 player. Play Fortnite, it’s only gonna take 1 game to tell between a top 100 player and a great player. Mortal Kombat, Naruro Ninja Storm, and fighting game, Rainbow Six Seige, call of duty. All these games have noticeable skill gaps.

This was exposed in 2k during the 2k league. And is a major reason why viewership was low at the end. Because people didn’t have fun watching people do all the things they could do even if we’re at a slightly more efficient rate. When i watch streams on YouTube and Twitch i watch to see guys do crazy things such as fighting combos I’ll never do, or crazy strings of moves that I’ll never think of in 1 million years.

I watch a top 5 pro am team in 2k and it’s literally 5 dudes doing the same things that 95% of us can do just doing it at a more cheesy rate. No skill gap. I should watch a top 5 team and be amazed at what I’m seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #22
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: 10 Ways NBA 2K19 Can Give Users More Control & Increase Its Skill Gap

The auto hand switching is one of the most infuriating things they added in 18. So many turnovers made because my right handed guy decides to randomly switch hands to his left hand right before I initiate a dribble move and then I end up doing the wrong thing and dribbling off of someone
Old 05-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #23
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

They need to make ProAM shoot realistic percentages and reward finding open shots more than shot release. Balancing the builds is really important obviously. More animations for passing, screens, running around people rather than into them, and such I think is necessary. And yes def get rid of Ankle Breaker, it might be the dumbest thing in the game.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »