Home

FOr those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders.

This is a discussion on FOr those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 PM   #41
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Vs cpu. For those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defende

2k can allow the user to draw charges on the hip ride animation.

2k can lower shot percenatages

2k can allow some chase down blocks off the hip ride animation

Players with low ball handling should have less success attempting this animation

Force more pickups
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #42
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Vs cpu. For those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defende

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnythelegend
See I am having trouble calling NBA 2K18 the best 2k ever when it doesn't really challenge me and I can't really say that CPU, especially on defensive end, is advanced in any way, I'd say it is one of the worse actually, atleast as far as I remember. We can discuss how fair and realistic CPU's one on one defense is, I don't try to exploit it anyways, atleast not in unrealistic way, If I am controlling Kawhi and I am being guarded by Kevin Love I will blow by him. But the thing that I can't get over is CPU's pick and roll defense. Here is what I did, i raised On ball defense IQ, Pick and roll defense IQ, shot contest and laterall quickness to 99 for all players, so by that every player should be an elite defender. Here are the results

https://streamable.com/10qyu

Why isn't the help coming, I don't really understand, it seems as the player decides to help at first but then he just goes back and I have an open layup.

Few points, 0:35, atleast I didn't have open lane, if CPU did that every time it would be better, but it doesn't do it, it is really inconsistent.

0:55, resemblence of a acceptable defense, I had to work and pass a couple of times before getting to the lane.

But as you can see, it was really easy, if I didn't know I'd think CPU was on PRO, but it was on hall of fame, 55 game speed.

I have tried many sliders, but none fixed this, and i don't blame anyone, it's just a part of this game, and I can't really play it because it's too simple for me to score the basketball.

Should I also avoid playing pick and roll, should i just call the plays like a robot? Pick and roll is one of the basic fundamental basketball plays, and one of the most used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDUA2mFYsSk&t=74s

NBA 2K14 had a much better defensive system and much more realistic, look at around minute 4, there is a defensive rotation that's main purpose is, as it should be and as it is IRL, to protect the paint.

I really want to like and play this game, but I currently can't until 2k fix this, or I find the way to fix it, if you know, I'd be thankful, I will try it, but as I said, I have tried many things, and none really helped.
I'm sorry..... But you do know that exact system is in 2k18.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #43
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88

Players with low ball handling should have less success attempting this animation

Force more pickups
..........Sure, all things within the current system they can improve on....good suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-07-2018, 06:23 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88

Force more pickups
agreed. i also think angles and spacing should matter a lot, as well as a strong emphasis on first step/acceleration like u said.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #45
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclazaris84
agreed. i also think angles and spacing should matter a lot, as well as a strong emphasis on first step/acceleration like u said.
I think angles matter in its current form. It's just the angles are too big and like he said already need more variety.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 AM   #46
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I'm sorry..... But you do know that exact system is in 2k18.
So why am I having an open lane and an uncontested layup after pnr so many times?
And do you think that if I tried to do the same thing in NBA 2K14 result would be the same?
Old 03-08-2018, 01:47 AM   #47
Rookie

Re: FOr those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders.

after the big defensive fiasco with 2k17, i'm surprised it really hasn't improved much, and in some ways (this topic's subject) has regressed.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:16 AM   #48
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
If you're going conclude with "don't tell me this can't be done"....you should bring a bit more than this to the table....

How from a programming stand point do you make these two entities independent of each other?

and at that point, how do you account for momentum? I dont need to go into Newtons law but if we're talking about realism we know "Y" simply doesn't have a choice in his movement in some situations.

It's much more involved than 2k refusing to flip a "make this game like real life" switch....but if you have broken the code over 100 NBA games in the last 30 years haven't, I would definitely like to hear it....I'm sure the devs that lurk here would too.

I keep hearing these phrases people hang on....like 2 man animations. NBA 2K11, NBA LIVE 10....two of the most heralded games of all time. You know what theses game were absolutely full of? ACTUAL 2 man animations...all over the place. The thing about 2 man animations is.... they're reliable, lol...we actually end up criticizing things that are actuslly happening dynamically because it doesn't always end as intended.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
I didn't like nba live 10. I was one of the few that stop messing with live after the live 9. I liked how live 10 looked. but that was about it. I know, all live fans swear by it.

I've given specific basic programming logic detail on how to do what I just said in other threads on here many times. i'm not your average complainer. I do have an understanding of programming logic. no I’m not about to write out 2k’s code. that’s not the point. the point is. If I can give you the logic. you can find the write code syntax to implement said logic while keeping memory usage in mind.

Lets go over this again. lets talk about that scenario where we’ve all seen it. where an offensive player will go up for a layup along the baseline and the Game will slow you down in order to give the defender a chance to block the layup. Everyone knows this happens. Please do not waste time denying it.

So moving on. How does that occur?

It occurs because 2k has built in logic that has 2 players playing roles in a movie together in that scenario.

if said scenario comes up X amt of times per shot attempts/per layup attempts/per qtr/per game(per something) offensive player will slow his layup animation down in order to give the defender time to catchup and have a shot at blocking the layup.

The #1 reason I know its done is to try and curtail fg%’s. Some supposed Sim players think that’s the right way to go. therefore giving 2k the go ahead to do it and still be considered a Sim game to a lot of people.

Some people are so used to 2k nerfing things one way or the other. they think it’s the only way to fix an issue. they will just say, make that guy miss 2k. or make the shot get block 2k.

TO me that’s not realistic.

Realism when it comes to basketball. Is when I miss because the defender made me miss.
You’re tired of me dunking every play?
You’re tired of me throwing the ball full court for a streaking layup?
DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Now while I say that. 2k has to give your defenders the tools to do something about.

2k says lets make a bogus animation that makes the ball go a completely different direction than it was actually travelling, then make the would be catcher break his arm reaching backwards towards the pass while he ducks or goes the opposite direction.
^That’s 2k’s remedy for long bomb passes. But nothing about that is realistic. we all know this. but some people got so tired of people doing the long bomb passing in previous 2k’s. they begged 2k to nerf it. Remember the hop step being taken out of the game for the same reason.

ask yourself, is there any other way to fix this problem?

I say yes. When the defenders put their hands up after the rebounder grabs the ball and Is about to chuck it full court. allow people’s bodies to be a bit more solid. especially their arms. hands up defense in 2k can give you fake blocks. and bounce steals. But it rarely gives you actual deflections. Give the defenders deflections. Not steals. but let that ball bounce off my outraised arms or hands. so I can now have a split second to deter that pass. or at worse make the passer change his passing angle which gives my other guys time to get back. That’s real life basketball. that’s how its played. if you don’t crowd the passer, he will keep long bombing it until you stop it or make it difficult. Stop nerfing stuff. give the other side the right abilities/tools to fix the problem themselves. no more babysitting.

in addition to this. the other offense wont keep taking tough shots they know wont hit because of the fear of not getting the rebound and it getting launched down court. this is again how to realistic deter or stop the long bomb pass.

Back to the the guy going in slo mo out of the blue in order to allow the defender to be able to block the shot.

separate the two via logic.

offensive player A makes quick move towards the basket for a layup.
he goes up the same speed as normal.

defensive player B had his back turned when player A was first bending his knees to go up.

defender player B can be allowed to turn around 180 degrees, then choose to hit the jump button. he should jump at the same speed as he always does. give or take his fatigue at the time.

Offensive player in that scenario will make that layup. because the two players are independent of one another.
That’s a design decision I would make. but that’s a design decision 2k has never really made. and that’s for a reason. they have legitimate reasons why they wont go that route. and it has little to do with trying to make the game play realistically.
IN this scenario there was no contact between the two players. therefore, there should be no 2 players relying on the other to do something for something else to trigger.

Lets talk about contact: Player A dunking on Player B.
2k at times says to player B. you can’t jump. we wont allow it. we will put you in this scripted ducking down “oh no he’s about to bang on me” animation. which is a legit animation but its not legit to take away the ability to control said animation.

If I put the logic in. it would be like this. Player B(the defender) can control whether he puts his hands straight up (right stick up, no other buttons or sticks pressed or pushed in any direction.)

he can put his two arms to the left 10‘o clock or two arms to the right 2 o’clock By pushing the right stick up and towards the left or up and towards the right.

player B can also duck down with the “oh no I’m getting dunked on animation” mapped to the right stick pushing down 6 olock, down left or right 7 o’clock or 5 o’clock

Now why would you ever push down for that dunked on animation as a defender? to keep the refs from calling a foul.

why would you do the hands up? to try to make the dunk harder to complete. but this leaves you more open to be called for a foul.
If you add Right trigger to it. it makes it more aggressive to put your hands up and forward. someone leaning over the offensive player. which we know could be considered a foul if the ref sees it. the ref will call a foul on this more often. but when he doesn’t call foul. the guy will miss said shot/dunk more often too.

^^That’s how you handle these kinds of problems. again. after all these years of making basketball games. I know these dudes have gone thru these scenarios. so why not do what I just suggested? They are choosing not to for their own reasons.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »