Home

What's the point in reaching 99? How hard is it to get there?

This is a discussion on What's the point in reaching 99? How hard is it to get there? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2018, 01:31 AM   #9
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What's the point in reaching 99? How hard is it to get there?

Lol getting to a 99 before the next iteration of this game would involve a kilo of cocaine, a lifetime supply of red bull and about the most pathetic social life in history of existence by this point in the cycle. The kids that DID reach 99 first were LITERALLY not sleeping, working, or having any type of recognizable LIFE for a wole MONTH. AND THAT WAS ALL TO BE ONE OF THE FIRST ONES. It would have literally been IMPOSSIBLE to obtain at this point in the cycle if you ONLY played one character casually. If you play MULTIPLE characters slightly above casually, as in not really serious but I play a lot, I have 5 90s and have zero interest pursuing them past that.

I play almost exclusively online so I get XP at an accelerated rate. If I was trying to reach 99 at all this year playing ONLY career?

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 03-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Banned

i hate 2k for making sych ridiculous grind for a yearly game. Like really? Do you not have any morals at all? The badge grind is just as ridiculous as the overall grind. God forbid I wanna start a new player, it would take me 1 month of grinding just to get him respectable where I feel I won't hurt the team.

I believe that they crossed the line this year and they will not be getting my money anymore because I've had enough of their greed.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:29 PM   #11
MVP

ph33's Arena

I don't necessarily have a problem with 99 being really tough to get, but as others have mentioned, just getting ONE guy up to par with others (Pretty much an 85) is what needs to be reworked. They really need to have a 5 on 5 mode in the game that is not P2W. And I don't want to hear any nonsense as I do every year about "I'm a 72 and I beat 90s!" you beat a bunch of crappy 90s, you're not going to do that against good players (Don't think anyone in this thread is like that anyways)

I've played against a pair of 99s; one was in the park and the other was in Pro-AM. I actually didn't know the 99 I faced in the park was a 99 until he got back on to rematch us after we handed him an *** whooping the first time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by de5m0n
i hate 2k for making sych ridiculous grind for a yearly game. Like really? Do you not have any morals at all? The badge grind is just as ridiculous as the overall grind. God forbid I wanna start a new player, it would take me 1 month of grinding just to get him respectable where I feel I won't hurt the team.

I believe that they crossed the line this year and they will not be getting my money anymore because I've had enough of their greed.
IMO if you grind a badge for one player you should be able to unlock it for other players down the line. And we shouldn't have to keep buying accessories for each one. I really wish it was like FIFA's system where you can have several preset player types but it's just one universal player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInThis
Yeah I skipped a couple of 2k games, but I think this may really be my last 1. No point in playing if I can't get to 99. Most people say to just have fun....Well I'd really have fun if I had those upgraded badges.
I don't think your goal should be to get to 99 or to think "There's no point in this if I can't max out"...IMO just get the necessary badges to their max level and I think you'll be just fine. I've gotten all the important ones on each of my players and it doesn't bother me that one thing is a point lower than where it could be. Except for ball handling on my slashing shot creator >:-(

The combine that they had in February should be a game mode. This would be a pretty good way to meet consumers in the middle. And I don't think they'd lose out on that much, I think their P2W stuff would still uphold because people still want to make superpower players. With that being said it'll probably cost more to upgrade next year and they'll hand out less VC, it's been trending that way.

Last edited by ph33; 03-20-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
I don't necessarily have a problem with 99 being really tough to get, but as others have mentioned, just getting ONE guy up to par with others (Pretty much an 85) is what needs to be reworked. They really need to have a 5 on 5 mode in the game that is not P2W. And I don't want to hear any nonsense as I do every year about "I'm a 72 and I beat 90s!" you beat a bunch of crappy 90s, you're not going to do that against good players (Don't think anyone in this thread is like that anyways)

I've played against a pair of 99s; one was in the park and the other was in Pro-AM. I actually didn't know the 99 I faced in the park was a 99 until he got back on to rematch us after we handed him an *** whooping the first time!

IMO if you grind a badge for one player you should be able to unlock it for other players down the line. And we shouldn't have to keep buying accessories for each one. I really wish it was like FIFA's system where you can have several preset player types but it's just one universal player.

I don't think your goal should be to get to 99 or to think "There's no point in this if I can't max out"...IMO just get the necessary badges to their max level and I think you'll be just fine. I've gotten all the important ones on each of my players and it doesn't bother me that one thing is a point lower than where it could be. Except for ball handling on my slashing shot creator >:-(

The combine that they had in February should be a game mode. This would be a pretty good way to meet consumers in the middle. And I don't think they'd lose out on that much, I think their P2W stuff would still uphold because people still want to make superpower players. With that being said it'll probably cost more to upgrade next year and they'll hand out less VC, it's been trending that way.

I haven't been grinding too much, but i good like 4 gold badges at 89ovr. That said, reaching 99ovr is so enticing because your badges get upgraded. HOF Rim Protector, Post Spin, Up and Under, Drop Step??....HELL YES. Some of you will say I should've went Pure Post, but I shouldn't be forced to a certain archetype.

Honestly if I can't get to 99, why even advertise it? Like that's the main point of the game. I don't need multiple 99 builds, I'd be content with just this 1.

Worst of all, the game is release yearly, so even if I did reach 99, the character is usually within the next 6 months. I wish 2k would vastly lower restrictions when the next game comes out.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
Rookie

I stopped my Grind once I hit 90. I stopped caring because it was too ridiculous. Instead I began having fun with the game. One thing in MyCareer I figured out, lets say you play the first game of the season, you put up 45 pts, 17 rebs, 13 assists, after that game, just simulate the regular season, your stats are gonna be exactly how you played in that game. So I do that, sometimes stop and play the all star game, I always win MVP, and then I play the playoffs 5 min qrts, and win championships faster. For me I rather have my player have an amazing career filled with stats, mvps and championships. All you gotta do is play the first game of the season, ball out, simulate, and play the playoffs
Old 03-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #14
MVP

ph33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInThis

Honestly if I can't get to 99, why even advertise it? Like that's the main point of the game. I don't need multiple 99 builds, I'd be content with just this 1.

Worst of all, the game is release yearly, so even if I did reach 99, the character is usually within the next 6 months. I wish 2k would vastly lower restrictions when the next game comes out.

I agree with most of your points, just don't think the point of the game should be to get to 99. Now, I think people who want to do MyCareer offline only should be able to instead of being restricted by archetypes, but online is a different story
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #15
Banned

I am overall 94 right now and Getting to 99 overall would take me atleast another 8-10 months by then 2k19 would be out. The reward for 99 is not even worth the time because all you get is badges upgraded 1 level. I already have 5 HoF badges now and fine with them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2018, 11:05 AM   #16
Banned

I hope everyone that moaned about the day 1 99's in 2k14 are happy with this super OTT grind we have in place now, and I hope everyone who moaned about OP SF's in 15, are also happy as they miss another layup of the bottom of the backboard because they don't have the correct archetype.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »