Home

Next myplayer help: defensive center build

This is a discussion on Next myplayer help: defensive center build within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Next myplayer help: defensive center build

I've got 5 myplayers so far, I finally got my sharp/sc up to 92, and once I accumulate enough vc to get him to 85 immediately, I think I'll make another.

I'm thinking a defensive center.

maybe def primary, rebounding 2nd. 7'3 with max wingspan . I assume? how heavy is enough? Can people suggest other combos?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 11:28 PM   #2
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Next myplayer help: defensive center build

The most dominant center in the game is the fat 7'3 slashing rebounder. That's rebounding first, slashing second. These centers with all their badges maxed and in competent hands cannot be completely shut down. They will get so much crap you won't believe, regardless of your build. How much you want to be ABLE to combat that is up to you. However, by saying that am I insinuating your defensive ratings will weigh in that at all. I have a buddy with a pure rim protector with HOF rim protector BADGE, he can make them miss the first attempt a lot but they will almost always get a putback right after. Rebounding in your build will help sometimes, but almost everything you can do to combat the bigs you can do on any character. My friends have 6'10 PFs and will win other battles that hello the team VS always relying on their rebounding. Such as, getting out in transition, helping on shooters, slicing in for offensive out back slams, shooting open jumpers.

There's so many ways to skin a cat in this game, everyone thinks you HAVE to out rebound the other team. It sure does help, but teams that generate good looks will often win out. Some of those teams that have 2 7'3s sitting in the paint on offense get demolished by 30 since they're so used to shooters getting open, that when they DON'T and they need to get some shots at the rim just to change momentum, they're driving lanes are gone and we've already gone up 15 by leaking out every time they miss.

It's all about how your team wants YOU to play.

Last edited by howardphillips214; 03-25-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
Pro

Point taken.

And that leads me to another question. The least common position by far I see is PF. And it seems like most of the time its either a stretch or a slasher. Is there a place for a defensive oriented PF, and if so any suggestions.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:01 AM   #4
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

I would almost exclusively advise anyone putting defense in their build to run the 4 instead of the 5. You're much more likely to get a CPU when you're at the 4 and this way you can cheat off your man to get much more help defense blocks from the weakside. Plus, that athleticism really only comes into play when you're running in getting the actual SNAG animations. The counter to that, the bigs that are real are going to be sitting in the paint 90% of the time that's why you see so many sharps there. If you can pull at least the CPU away from the basket and any other bigs you're essentially creating driving lanes and 1 on 1 match ups with the big if they switch on screens. If you're running the 4 you've either got to be fast, or be able to shoot, or both. Lol my buddy has a 6'10 athletic first, shot Creator second and he can hit 3s, gets relentless HOF, and swears he plays better paint defense than his 7'2 rim protector.

Essentially, for online purposes, defense is useless. Especially at the big positions, your size is what matters most. You're not even getting much having rebounding secondary. If you're doing a hybrid big it's much more valuable to have shooting or athleticism or both.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Pro

Now I'm considering a Slashing Rim Protector PF, 6'10. That's Defender first, slasher 2nd. I like that it gets gold stopper, rim protector, and posterizer, all the contact dunks, as well as good speed and vertical. Can't shoot though. The opposite is a possibility, as it gets HOF posterizer and gold relentless finisher. But its quite a bit worse defensively (obviously).

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I'll really feel the effect of having the defense focus. I know people say defense doesn't matter too much online but I don't want to end up doing the same thing as everyone else.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Rookie

Make a stretch rebounder. Thank me later.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »