Home

Get rid of archetypes and go to an unrestricted upgrade system?

This is a discussion on Get rid of archetypes and go to an unrestricted upgrade system? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #57
Pro

Vroman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Get rid of archetypes and go to an unrestricted upgrade system?

We can't really evaluate archetype system when foundation (sliders and some gameplay mechanics) is terrible and just giving all 99 ratings isn't a ultimate fix to the game at all is what i mean.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 AM   #58
Rookie

im for this...get rid of the archetypes and use a point system...we can only attain a certain number of points, so u cant be ALL 99...you just have to sacrifice other parts of your game if you are gonna max certain attributes...and to max some attributes cost more than others...for example one point in the threes attribute moves the needle much less than one point in the strength attribute or the vertical attribute....especially when you start to approach the mid 80s to 90s
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 AM   #59
Rookie

Beside the actual archetypes, Why they don't propose selections of real superstars and atypical players but restricted ?

I mean if you choose to create a player based on Porzingis you won't get 99 overall and fancy moves and hall of fame badges

You will get his max attributes barely modifiable if you change heigt, wingspan, weight etc
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #60
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowDareI
Here's my take:

All pg's should have the same (base) stats.

Same as sg's, sf's, pf's, c's...

By this I mean EVERY point guard (for example) should get an 80 rated 3 point shot (base).
Let's say, as you level up and unlock upgrade slots you can use that to raise the cap of your 3 point rating. I could go more in depth, but that would be for 2k to decide.
Like, doing practices and playing games etc raises your cap in 18, same theory next year but you can choose what you up instead of 2k telling you a preset group of attributes.

Now, when you create your player you choose his playstyle. This would dictate badges ONLY. Height, weight, wingspan etc can still effect caps to like speed and strength as it would be unfair to be 6'8 and as fast as a 6' guy...unless you wanna use your caps you unlock to put it into speed.

So at an 80 overall, you have a playmaker and a sharp with the same attributes, but different badges that help enhance what he can do.

I feel like this would give more freedom to the way we upgrade, choosing which attributes to unlock, while also staying within an archetype system.

I see no downsides other than balancing certain badges like limitless range. But also would allow a "sharpshooter" to get to be a real 3 and d player or also able to drive if they wanted.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk
I disagree with this for skill-based attributes. An 80 3pt rating (or whatever skill-based attribute you want to use) doesn't accurately represent all players at that position. Look at someone like Rondo. During his Boston years, he was an awesome PG: great at handling the ball and getting teammates involved, ridiculous passer and defender, but he was an awful shooter.

For athleticism, I definitely like the idea. You should start with the league average for your position in non-skilled attributes like speed, vertical, lateral quickness, etc. You should also be either average or slightly above average in skill-based attributes for your primary archetype, and just about average for your secondary archetype. This would allow you to compete with other NBA players at your position, while still maintaining the playstyle for your selected archetype(s).
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #61
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

I'm ok with the archetype system for online play, but I think offline should be unrestricted. In any case, the one thing I wish they would do is get rid of the attribute buckets and let us go back to upgrading individual attributes. I shouldn't need to waste VC on upgrading my three off the dribble if I'm a spot up shooter. I should be able to have a high layup rating without needing to be able to dunk over people.

I'd actually like them to break it down even more, so you have individual attributes for each dribble move and shot type. Maybe I have a killer crossover, but my behind the back is just average. Or I have an awesome eurostep, but I'm not great at reverse layups. And have separate attributes for on-ball steals vs passing lane steals. They are very different things.

And not really related to attributes, but go back to letting us choose each individual animation instead of animation packages.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #62
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I'm ok with the archetype system for online play, but I think offline should be unrestricted. In any case, the one thing I wish they would do is get rid of the attribute buckets and let us go back to upgrading individual attributes. I shouldn't need to waste VC on upgrading my three off the dribble if I'm a spot up shooter. I should be able to have a high layup rating without needing to be able to dunk over people.

I'd actually like them to break it down even more, so you have individual attributes for each dribble move and shot type. Maybe I have a killer crossover, but my behind the back is just average. Or I have an awesome eurostep, but I'm not great at reverse layups. And have separate attributes for on-ball steals vs passing lane steals. They are very different things.

And not really related to attributes, but go back to letting us choose each individual animation instead of animation packages.
But then we go back to the days of the 2K16 Demigods. The archetypes are fine, they just need to stop letting the Sharps and Strech 4's be so OP.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #63
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
But then we go back to the days of the 2K16 Demigods. The archetypes are fine, they just need to stop letting the Sharps and Strech 4's be so OP.
Oh, I would still keep the caps for online play. But offline, there shouldn't be any caps.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #64
Rookie

Celtics4Life's Arena

Everyone is talking about shooting and dunking what about defense? lol I agree with a lot of comments here. 2K needs to reward specific build on their build and type only and not allow them to be good in anything besides those.

Example a sharp shooter should have the worst defense vs a slasher penetrating to the rim. I am thinking Vince at prime driving to hoop vs Curry. As soon as Vince takes off Curry should have 0% to do anything. It should either be a foul or a dunk. NOT A BLOCK OR REBOUND !!!!!

Everyone has been making the same arch types since this awful arch time invention. It's either stretch bigs or sharp shooters. Power Forwards are hardly seen and slashers have zero advantage in anything.

2K talks about rating system and balance but there is none of it. If there was you'd see a wide range of arch types and positional players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »