Home

Why Archetypes Are Making My Player/Park Stale And The Changes Needed For Its Revival

This is a discussion on Why Archetypes Are Making My Player/Park Stale And The Changes Needed For Its Revival within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Why Archetypes Are Making My Player/Park Stale And The Changes Needed For Its Revival

Its no secret that NBA 2K's shelf life seems to be getting shorter and shorter in terms of how early the game is getting played out. These are just my opinions on why.

For one there is no VARIETY in choosing a lockdown defender build and being bad on the offensive side of the ball. Nobody will want to pass you the ball most of the time bc they feel you are a liability.

The game was more fun when you could create a build that could do mostly everything. I understand that you want the game to be fair. So ATLEAST instead of us all of these restrictions on speed based off of height and this crazy archetype system.....

Just choose about 20-25(or more, or even be able to add more thru out the season) of the best players in all 5 positions and let us choose what player we want to be and let all of their attributes, height, weight and badges(you can only get all the badges they have and only on the same level) be the cap for our my player.

Example:

You choose Stephen Curry whose is 6'3, 189 lbs. That would be your players cap weight and height.

Lets say his 3 ball attribute is 95 that's your cap(don't know if ppl would like for attributes and badges to mirror increases and decreases via roster updates or not but not a bad idea to me)

If he has HOF 3pt and a gold shot creator then gold is as high as you can get also which is your cap.

Well nobody wants to be a lockdown defender bc you give up the fun of being able to be any good on offense so HOW IS THIS FAIR and BALANCED???!!!!!

You will be able to create a VERSATILE build like...

KAWHI LEONARD so your cap Height: 6'7 and Weight: 230

You can be great at offense and defense VERSATILITY.

Everybody WILL NOT choose the same player if you have VERSATILE Unique Players with unique skills to choose from like:

-Embiid
-Lebron
-Curry
-Westbrook
-Harden
-Ben Simmons
-Kyrie Irving
-Anthony Davis
-Klay Thompson
-Kevin Durant
-Deandre Jordan
-Blake Griffin
-Boogie Cousins
-Giannis the greek freak
-Kawhi Leonard
-Karl Anthony Towns
-Jimmy Butler
-John Wall

*Michael Jordan
*Hakeem the dream
*Gary Payton
*KG
*Allen Iverson
*Magic
*Bird
*Kareem

I can go on. Now can you name somebody on that list that nobody would choose? I only create PG's and I would create a Center Boogie.

Who would be your top builds?

That is VARIETY. We already try to recreate REAL LIFE NBA players even though this archetype system doesn't allow that so why not just let us choose them as a template for our my players.

I'm sure everybody is getting tired of everybody shooting 3s, especially bigs with Steph Curry range. It seems the game is encouraging more and more threes bc if everybody is choosing a build that cant do anything but shoot 3's and you give that to players that ball hog with nobody wanting to be a Lockdown with a HOF lockdown badge to counter the HOF limitless range and the other 3 pt badges........smh you got a game full of pseudo Steph Currys.

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 05-05-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why Archetypes Are Making My Player/Park Stale And The Changes Needed For Its Rev

I don't know jack squat about online, but your idea seems like it would be the best of all worlds. I totally get why 2K won't let everyone be 99s. I remember threads about 7'3" gods and what not. I also understand why guys/gals hate the limits 2K imposes. If you had the Kawhi archetype, then you'd have the D and be an offensive threat if you maxed your player out.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Why Archetypes Are Making My Player/Park Stale And The Changes Needed For Its Rev

While this post seems online orientated, I believe at the very least they need to offer the ability for offline MyCareer to be far less restricted. There are a *lot* of NBA player styles you can't faithfully replicate currently, and it's my business if I want to be Lebron V2 offline. In 2K18, I can be Tobias Harris, maybe.

For online, IMO 2K need to figure out what they want. Do they want street balling and amateur games, or do they want all-star weekend? Those are the two options as far I can see. Right now it's a worst-of-both-worlds mixture that gives other worldly abilities to some (3pt shooters and dunking), but not others. Either side is going to lose some people, but this half-half setup definitely gets stale.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:10 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
I don't know jack squat about online, but your idea seems like it would be the best of all worlds. I totally get why 2K won't let everyone be 99s. I remember threads about 7'3" gods and what not. I also understand why guys/gals hate the limits 2K imposes. If you had the Kawhi archetype, then you'd have the D and be an offensive threat if you maxed your player out.

I didn't even think it would be offline guys responding to this thread. Not positively anyway.

The way the NBA is today you have to do away with the way the archetype system is bc nowadays you have young guys 6'9 PLUS having skills like guards and great athletic TWO way bigs like Anthony Davis. There is talented unique players in the REAL NBA and not being able to replicate that is holding the game back and it takes the fun away from the game also. 2k is waaaay to predictable and reptitive. The same thing happens over and over again.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #5
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
I didn't even think it would be offline guys responding to this thread. Not positively anyway.

The way the NBA is today you have to do away with the way the archetype system is bc nowadays you have young guys 6'9 PLUS having skills like guards and great athletic TWO way bigs like Anthony Davis. There is talented unique players in the REAL NBA and not being able to replicate that is holding the game back and it takes the fun away from the game also. 2k is waaaay to predictable and reptitive. The same thing happens over and over again.
A good idea is a good idea. Given the little I know about online and the complaints I'm familiar with, this seems like a good compromise. Literally use the current NBA players as archetypes. I'm sure there would be issues one way or another as there always is online. But online players dont seem too happy with the current setup. Online people want more options; 2K wants balance and more of a chess match.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
MVP

shooting is what has ruined online. You can either shoot or not. If you can't shoot, you are useless unless you are a big man. That's wack. It wouldn't be as bad if people shot a more realistic percentage. A lockdown who can't shoot is somewhat useless because he can't roam like a normal defender would because his matchup would burn him on every open 3. On the other side, you don't even have to guard him.

Watching the shots people take (and make) online in a normal public game is enough to know what the problem is. I don't think it's archetypes. Everyone shouldn't be wet like last year, but they need to tone down the 30 footers, the no space 3s, and the fading to the side 3s. Then they need to give lock down defenders (even pure lockdowns) a catch and shoot high ranked badge. No deadeye, v bad contested 3, but respectable open 3.

They also need to make the builds like playmaker and sharpshooter much worse at rebounding and defense. They need to make sharpshooter much worse at dribbling and movement and playmaker much worse at shooting. Then, it will be more balanced. If you have the ability to hit crazy 3s from everywhere, you are going to make a build like pure lockdown useless. If you have 99 speed and 99 acceleration, 70 steal and a jumper, you are going to be able to play decent defense. Make pure playmaker like steve nash level d, a traffic cone, same with pure sharpshooter. Make it like Kyle Korver.

-Smak
Old 05-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Banned

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...7&postcount=40

Quote:
I wouldn't be opposed to them giving us 60ovr versions of NBA stars, so for example, if we pick say Lebron, Giannis, Steph, KD, and Harden, then we can max out those player templates until we hit what the current attribute levels of those players. We have to have to use their height/weight, but then we get to make our own multi-dimensional players as opposed to monotonous and boring archetypes. When it comes to badges, then whatever badges your template superstar has, are the badges you can earn for your player.
This was my post in another thread on the same subject from a few days ago. Personally, I'd like unrestricted builds like 2k15, but feel this could be a workable compromise. Unfortunately, 2k19 is already in process and i have no doubt archetypes are coming back again.

The game is stale now, really stale, and with so many other flaws in gameplay mechanics, if they keep on with this heavy grind, limited builds then people will walk away because gaming should first and foremost be fun, not a chore.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
shooting is what has ruined online. You can either shoot or not. If you can't shoot, you are useless unless you are a big man. That's wack. It wouldn't be as bad if people shot a more realistic percentage. A lockdown who can't shoot is somewhat useless because he can't roam like a normal defender would because his matchup would burn him on every open 3. On the other side, you don't even have to guard him.

Watching the shots people take (and make) online in a normal public game is enough to know what the problem is. I don't think it's archetypes. Everyone shouldn't be wet like last year, but they need to tone down the 30 footers, the no space 3s, and the fading to the side 3s. Then they need to give lock down defenders (even pure lockdowns) a catch and shoot high ranked badge. No deadeye, v bad contested 3, but respectable open 3.

They also need to make the builds like playmaker and sharpshooter much worse at rebounding and defense. They need to make sharpshooter much worse at dribbling and movement and playmaker much worse at shooting. Then, it will be more balanced. If you have the ability to hit crazy 3s from everywhere, you are going to make a build like pure lockdown useless. If you have 99 speed and 99 acceleration, 70 steal and a jumper, you are going to be able to play decent defense. Make pure playmaker like steve nash level d, a traffic cone, same with pure sharpshooter. Make it like Kyle Korver.

-Smak
I agree 3s need to be toned down but they won't be bc 2k18 only allows you to be great at one skill so sharpshooter will complain if they shoot even 70% Bc they feel like they should make every shot bc they have HOF 3pt badges like limitless range etc. N dnt let them miss a wide open shot, the world is about to end bc Its the only thing they feel they can do really!!! Lockdown think nobody should shoot over 50% when they guard them, shot creators freak when they miss wide open dribble pull up threes not to mention they will keep doing dribble pull ups which is annoying having to do that. Playmakers freak when their passes are not accurate. Most Slashers spam driving and when they miss a layup on two defenders they freak and I dnt blame none of them bc 2k is the one who put HOF badges in the game. Its just that it seems like the 3pt HOF badges are more powerful and effective than the rest. So if he's making 50% of his Harcourt threes then why am i 6'7 and can't dunk on or make simple layup over a 6'0 guy?

Now we are having conversations about what stretch bigs should and shouldn't be able to do which is a crazy argue that is just a unnecessary headache bc this archetype system is a flawed one that has more to do with trying to balance the game n it STILL didnt.Please get on to plan two 2k. Some ppl dnt even make duel archetypes anymore bc they feel they are useless.

What kind of argument is " this guy should not be able to do this bc its unfair" or this guy should be able to do this. I say if its in the NBA then put it in the game. THIS is why I blame archetypes. Everything is predictable making the game get old quick, SharpshHooters n stretch bigs are going to force threes, Slashers are going to force layups on two defenders, playmakers are going to spam dribble the shot clock out trying to break ankles. This was going on before yes but its even worst now.

2k use to kind of teach ppl how to play basketball the right way. That is not the case now imo.

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 05-06-2018 at 10:37 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »