Home

Ugly Player Portrait Aesthetics in 2K

This is a discussion on Ugly Player Portrait Aesthetics in 2K within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Ugly Player Portrait Aesthetics in 2K

The aesthetics of the player menus (specifically the action shots of players mixed with the computer generated models of players) are so much uglier in recent iterations of 2K games than they used to be when we simply had player headshots.

The series really needs to at least give us the option to return to the old roster menu player portraits (just the face) from older 2K games. It looks foolish when half your team has a real picture of a player, and the other half of your team has a computer generated image because they were signed or acquired in a trade. Clean it up and actually make it look like real players are... you know... real. Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ugly Player Portrait Aesthetics in 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
The aesthetics of the player menus (specifically the action shots of players mixed with the computer generated models of players) are so much uglier in recent iterations of 2K games than they used to be when we simply had player headshots.

The series really needs to at least give us the option to return to the old roster menu player portraits (just the face) from older 2K games. It looks foolish when half your team has a real picture of a player, and the other half of your team has a computer generated image because they were signed or acquired in a trade. Clean it up and actually make it look like real players are... you know... real. Thanks.
I love the pictures but I hate that they change that is become generated image when you trade players, sometimes I don't trade players or resign them because I'd rather have players with pictures than without them.

Rookies are the problem, so I don't know how would that have to be done, maybe the head shots are the way to go
Old 06-10-2018, 12:16 AM   #3
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnythelegend
I love the pictures but I hate that they change that is become generated image when you trade players, sometimes I don't trade players or resign them because I'd rather have players with pictures than without them.

Rookies are the problem, so I don't know how would that have to be done, maybe the head shots are the way to go
In the older versions that had just headshots, they gave rookies real-looking faces. It was beautiful. You could be a few years into a franchise mode and every player looked real. The only problem that would arise would be that the faces would recycle, so the further you got into it, players would start getting the same faces.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #4
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
In the older versions that had just headshots, they gave rookies real-looking faces. It was beautiful. You could be a few years into a franchise mode and every player looked real. The only problem that would arise would be that the faces would recycle, so the further you got into it, players would start getting the same faces.
People have always complained about rookies looking the same. I've never heard anyone saying they look real.
I think this is a false memory from you.

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 06-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
People have always complained about rookies looking the same. I've never heard anyone saying they look real.
This definitely happened in NBA 2k8 - with imported draft classes from College Hoops at least.

What he's talking about is the portraits in the menus - the on-court players never looked as good as the actual licensed NBA players.

The players had what appeared to be actual pictures - but there were only 60-70 of them. I always remember Derrick Rose's picture always being just a really tan white guy.

EA did this as well with Madden (maybe 12 or 15 or something). They had player portraits that essentially were computer-modified versions of existing player portraits. I remember seeing a darker-skinned version of Connor Barwin popping up a few times in each draft class
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 PM   #6
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Definitely not a false memory. I ran an entire Celtics Association for 7+ years because I never got sick of fake-looking faces like I do now.

Also, fnz21 is right. Madden did this before too.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #7
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26

Pretty minor gripe, I would say. Why does it matter?

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
MVP

michaelhawj's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Definitely not a false memory. I ran an entire Celtics Association for 7+ years because I never got sick of fake-looking faces like I do now.

Also, fnz21 is right. Madden did this before too.
i know right. i hate generated photo of current players when i trade players for other players i want for my team like two players has same generated photo. i hate that

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »