Home

Why is 2K14 Lighting Still Unmatched?

This is a discussion on Why is 2K14 Lighting Still Unmatched? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #9
MVP

Hustle Westbrook's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why is 2K14 Lighting Still Unmatched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
It's actually the opposite: 2K18 has 2 to 3 body types, players look like clay models, there's no muscle definition and most player's heads and necks are oversized.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...-gen-graphics/

Quote:
There were only six body types in last year's game that were assigned to players. Someone might be a "beefy" body type or a "skinny" body type, but when a player is matched with a body type that isn't just right, it changes how their face looks and it caused a disconnect.

The 2K team created a new body system that makes every player model unique. There is no fixed template anymore. "The number of body types really is infinite, because it's not binary," Dawson says. The team can individually control proportions, wingspan, thickness and specific anatomical details so every player model is unique.
The lack of muscle definition is really bad though.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

This might sound weird but in my opinion the coolest thing about the PS4/Xbone version of 2k14 was the score bug. That was the coolest looking score bug they've ever had.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #11
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
It's actually the opposite: 2K18 has 2 to 3 body types, players look like clay models, there's no muscle definition and most player's heads and necks are oversized.
Not for me it isn't. The player models fit the players the best ever to me. LeBron is noticeably thicker than Durant, whos thinner than Giannis. Jared Sullinger is his thick self. Steph is slim but not frail looking. Even guys like Terrance Ross have their wiry frames without looking malnourished. Whatever the case the models look really good to me; especially in 4K on the 1X. I'm not getting that clay look. Definition could be better, I guess. I remember in the past players like John Wall having huge heads, it's not something's have experienced with 2K18. Who are the players with oversized heads and necks in 2K18?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
You must have a cheap TV because they don't look like clay in 4K hdr.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
You must have a cheap TV because they don't look like clay in 4K hdr.

They do even in 7K. It's the skin texture that looks like clay and not like flesh.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #14
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

2k9 also had some quality lighting - PLUS they actually had cheerleaders on the baseline
As far as the topic of "lighting being the best for the very FIRST installment of a console," I would say 2k9 also had some incredible lighting (3 years into the PS3/360 cycle) especially the footage from the "2k9 Celtics vs Lakers video".

I don't know if this was a PC mod, but the first time seeing this after finally getting back into gaming since the days of the SNES, I was amazed.

NBA2k9 Lighting - Celtics vs Lakers.
Spoiler

via Gfycat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...-gen-graphics/

The lack of muscle definition is really bad though.
Regarding muscle definition. I made about post about this last year. The muscle definition in 2k18 is actually more correct than it is not. Spoiler tag contains three short video clips from the NBA 2016-17 finals (up close shots of NBA players during a game).

Spoiler

Screen capture from NBA finals (2 years ago). Shows what "muscle definition" actually looks during a real NBA broadcast.
Spoiler

EDIT: That's not to say NBA2k18's lighting is great. 2k9's lighting (above clip) actually looks more realistic than 2k18. There's something off with 2k18.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 06-21-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61

2K9 is perhaps the most "next gen" looking game from last gen. I simply loved the lighting, skin textures and cloth textures. 2K11 was amazing for it's shadows and crisp looking graphics.

It amazes me how much a game from 10 years ago looks and feels very similar to a current gen game at first glance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
They do even in 7K. It's the skin texture that looks like clay and not like flesh.
Don't agree. Once the players start sweating you'll see more details just like when body builders oil up for competition.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »