Home

Tips and Tutorial

This is a discussion on Tips and Tutorial within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Tips and Tutorial

I just picked up 2k18. I am new to this series and never been a basketball gamer since NCAA stopped. I am so impressed with the franchise features. Overwhelmed in fact. Can anyone pont me to a good tutorial video to help me better understand some of the franchise features and how to best utilize them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Tips and Tutorial

I'd be interested in the same advice. I will be picking up the game soon after hearing how many features I want in my other sports games exist in 2K18. I'd like try a MyLeague running all 30 teams and one where I try to rebuild the Knicks (yes I also have a penchant for tugging on Superman's cape and spitting into the wind). Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

Which features and gameplay areas are you most interested in?
Old 06-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #4
MVP

It has been a while since I had an NBA 2k game (13 I think). I mainly would do myleague and try to get through multiple seasons. Advice on budgets/caps for the game so that I don't blow up the finances on a team (like in some games when you try to use real life contracts and it messes a club up).

Otherwise I can look up many of the nuances of the various caps, G-league etc, so some of the features I see here that I can't get elsewhere that I'd like to learn more about before starting are the league rule change implementation (CBA update frequency, things to be careful about etc) and expansion/relocation features and 'watch outs'.

I literally bought the game 90 minutes ago after months of Maddeners and Show-ers and Fifites wishing the career/franchise modes were as deep as 2K. Any advice or helpful websites is appreciated.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

So MyLeague cap management and such?

I'm not sure of specific tutorials or tips sites, tho I'm sure you can YouTube a lot of stuff out there. When it comes to the cap, my strategy is basically expiring contracts. For example, my MyGM mode is with the Magic, since I'm a Magic fan. The Magic have at least 4 bad contracts in Evan Fournier ($17 mill), Bismack Biyombo ($17 mill), Terrence Ross ($10 mill), and D.J. Augustin ($7 mill), and these guys' skill sets don't warrant their salary. They only hinder me from being able to improve my team.

First thing I do is use Trade Finder on each one of them, and trade them for the best 1 year contract that is offered. I don't take back anything over 1 year. Clear up the salary so that I have room to spend money on players that matter (for the Magic, that's Aaron Gordon)

The only exception to this strategy I made was when I was offered Isaiah Thomas for Evan Fournier, as I can actually use Isaiah Thomas as a piece to work with in my core.

I'm still learning a little bit about staff budgets, but one thing that I did find was misleading is that when you go to sign staff (coach, assistant, assistant GM, etc.) each position has a budget listed. But there is also an overall budget as well that you can go over even tho each position has it's own individual budget. So basically, each position has it's own individual budget within the larger staff budget. So if you spend big dollars on a top end coach, your budget for the rest of your staff decreases, even tho they are listed to have their own budget. So keep that in mind when offering staff contracts.

Outside of that, I would say you can probably search YouTube or Google for various types of walkthroughs and stuff. I am unfamiliar with any, though now that you bring it up I'd be curious about finding something myself as well.
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistick
So MyLeague cap management and such?

I'm not sure of specific tutorials or tips sites, tho I'm sure you can YouTube a lot of stuff out there. When it comes to the cap, my strategy is basically expiring contracts. For example, my MyGM mode is with the Magic, since I'm a Magic fan. The Magic have at least 4 bad contracts in Evan Fournier ($17 mill), Bismack Biyombo ($17 mill), Terrence Ross ($10 mill), and D.J. Augustin ($7 mill), and these guys' skill sets don't warrant their salary. They only hinder me from being able to improve my team.

First thing I do is use Trade Finder on each one of them, and trade them for the best 1 year contract that is offered. I don't take back anything over 1 year. Clear up the salary so that I have room to spend money on players that matter (for the Magic, that's Aaron Gordon)

The only exception to this strategy I made was when I was offered Isaiah Thomas for Evan Fournier, as I can actually use Isaiah Thomas as a piece to work with in my core.

I'm still learning a little bit about staff budgets, but one thing that I did find was misleading is that when you go to sign staff (coach, assistant, assistant GM, etc.) each position has a budget listed. But there is also an overall budget as well that you can go over even tho each position has it's own individual budget. So basically, each position has it's own individual budget within the larger staff budget. So if you spend big dollars on a top end coach, your budget for the rest of your staff decreases, even tho they are listed to have their own budget. So keep that in mind when offering staff contracts.

Outside of that, I would say you can probably search YouTube or Google for various types of walkthroughs and stuff. I am unfamiliar with any, though now that you bring it up I'd be curious about finding something myself as well.
Thank you so much this is very helpful. I appreciate your insights and help!
Old 06-30-2018, 08:33 AM   #7
Rookie

I have been doing mostly simming with simcast live and jumping in occassionally.

How detailed do you get and does it matter. The gameplan feature is very deep. What aspects do you usually mess with? Player minutes per game? Gameplan per team or all teams? Scoring options? How do you know which defensive set is more effective for your players and for each opponent?

When i jump in and call a play, how do you know where the ball is supposed to go? It is also confusing knowing what general offense is being run. I feel like i throw it around and then just go one on one and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
MVP

I installed late last night and fiddled around a bit just to see what details and settings are available. It is overwhelming, but in a good way. I think I'll do a YouTube search as suggested and start with a single player Knicks league to get my feet wet. I'm way behind the times for the NBA so this will be an educational experience too. It may be a better experience for someone like myself who isn't as up on the details of the NBA as I think I am with MLB/NFL/Fifa so little things that are inaccurate or less than optimal I won't likely notice.

Down the line I can see myself starting a MyLeague and moving teams around back to old NBA/ABA locations; these are the things I wish i could do with Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »