Home

Make Head to Head Great Again

This is a discussion on Make Head to Head Great Again within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Make Head to Head Great Again

As a 2k player(considered myself a good one) from the 2k3-2k14 days, I feel 2k has neglected it's least profitable mode ;H2H

In previous 2k's head to head was a game of chess. Now I feel it's a game of checkers. Thinking back I think the last 2k game where I enjoyed head to head was 2k14. Here are my issues with current game;

1. Inaccurate Ratings/Badges

This is a huge problem that can be debated for hours but it's one of the most important aspects of gameplay(other than sliders of course) but the ratings must match with the sliders created by devs. For some reason I think that the relationship between ratings and sliders do not mesh as good as they should. As a competitive park player for years, badges are clearly shown how powerful they are when differentiating between player to player.

2. Athleticism Representation

For years, strength(weight?) has not been represented well in 2k.This may be a bad example but Zach Randolph can feel like Shaquille O'Neal. Height and wingspan will always reign supreme (as it should) but bodyweight has never been properly represented. The balance and contrast needs to be shown more from player to player as to me all players feel similar. As basketball heads to the direction of "positionless" this is important, making each player feel unique.

3. Spacing, Player/Court Ratio.

This piggy backs off of poor athleticism representation. The spacing seems to clogged especially within the three-point line. Too many steals off player bumps is a result off this. Passing angles are tighter in 2k. To make it easier to explain, can somebody please reply providing an IRL photo in comparison to 2k both with a similar angle?

4. Uneccessary, Bailout Like Fouls by AI Teammates.

This drives me insane. I have been on both sides of a run like all of us has had. Am I the only one that hates when an opposing player barrels into the paint(with the hip ride animation), I contest with player controlled player and the AI as the help defender FOULS the opponent? This gets me heated as, it is a bailout. It removes the reward of my defense.

5. JumpShots/Shots on Catch miss to represent Real Life %

Hear me out. I get it not every OPEN shot goes in, which applies to video games and real life. It's just frustrating operating a half-court offense when necessary and a wide open shot made off of multiples passes bricks meanwhile on the other side a player can shoot on transition hits. I don't like how the team that SHOOTS more threes always HITS more threes. I loved how three pointers were represented in 2k14. It rewarded the team that took more quality looks than now as it is quantities.

BUT its a VIDEO GAME. Reward the IQ of a user, Reward the decision making of a user, Reward knowing releases. To me it seems, if I played a game and every 3 I took was open(On HOF btw) NO MATTER WHAT the result will be 30-35%. I am not playing to replicate IRL stats, I'm playing the game to outthink my opponent.

These are my problems with current state of H2H. This is why I migrated to what many here think is not "sim" or "arcade" to park. In park/proam, I feel if I OUTPLAY/OUT-THINK my opponent I am rewarded. This same sense of reward is not present in h2h.

side note - Some solutions/additions to the game I would add-

Off-Ball Rating/Attribute - This rating will allow NBA players remain consistent if the ball is not in their hands for a while stay consistent.

Make the post-game great again. Make post-fades go in more. Dirk, MJ, Kobe, Pierce, Durant and even LeBron have used this shot to kill opponents. This shot is missed more than it should be in 2k18. This should allow players with height advantage over a defender better.

More animations moving off the ball. Curry highlights explain this.

Improved shooting off the dribble animations. Currently these animations are easily guessed, too slow and easy to contest.

Faster gather/catch animations. Some jumpshot bases are too slow. These are NBA players who have spent millions of hours on their jumpshot. It should take milliseconds to gather(unless a bad pass/cross court pass is made)

A "Close out button"
With more teams taking threes I think 2k should implement a button that when HELD it means the defender will rush to the defender.

Now the SPEED of the closeout depends on the defenders:
speed rating
on-ball defense rating
etc

A user closing out can let go of the button. If they predict the shooter will drive. (Can stop at an angle to cut off drive)

This adds the game/decision making of defender guessing whether or not a player is shooting or driving.

Pro Stick Blocking/Stealing

I loved the on-ball stealing controls of 2k17. For those who don't remember, defenders were able to steal with the right stick. 2k rewarded defenders that guessed which hand to pick. In other words, 2k rewarded defenders for guessing their opponents move. Defense is about predicting Offensive players actions.

I think they should implement the same system with blocking. This feature would be using the right stick.

Up - Straight up contest two hands(in the air not grounded)
Right- Shot blocker uses right hand
Left- Shot blocker uses left hand
Down- Hard Foul- prevent And-One

Last edited by nyccc; 07-11-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Make Head to Head Great Again

why Do you want a close out Button? i find it sufficient to Sprint out at an opponent while using the right Stick for contesting. if He is driving i need to See it and adjust my Control input.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #3
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

One thing I would love to see is a "set feet" option. Basically, if you catch a pass wide open, or make the defender fall, or even just get behind a perfectly set screen, have the ability to take an extra second to set your feet and take the shot.

In addition to that, from a purely visual standpoint, I'd like to see them clean up the footplanting on jump shots. It's so ugly watching guys' feet slide into their jump shot animation, when it shouldn't be that hard to add some transitional animations to get their feet into position.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccc

This piggy backs off of poor athleticism representation. The spacing seems to clogged especially within the three-point line. Too many steals off player bumps is a result off this. Passing angles are tighter in 2k. To make it easier to explain, can somebody please reply providing an IRL photo in comparison to 2k both with a similar angle?
The court is too small, I don't care how many times they say it's accurate either the players are too large or the court is too narrow. They've been using a NBA 2k type camera in summer league and it's pretty obvious something with 2k is way off, you can see it in Live 18 too which has much better court sizing.

The two Knicks in the paint are 6'9 and 7'0, it's even more noticeable that the court size is off when the Magic play because of how big their frontcourt is and the court doesn't look as small as it does in 2k despite having a 6'11 PF and 7'0 C with a 7'10 wingspan.

Court size is an even bigger problem in pro-am.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccc
As a 2k player(considered myself a good one) from the 2k3-2k14 days, I feel 2k has neglected it's least profitable mode ;H2H

In previous 2k's head to head was a game of chess. Now I feel it's a game of checkers. Thinking back I think the last 2k game where I enjoyed head to head was 2k14. Here are my issues with current game;

1. Inaccurate Ratings/Badges

This is a huge problem that can be debated for hours but it's one of the most important aspects of gameplay(other than sliders of course) but the ratings must match with the sliders created by devs. For some reason I think that the relationship between ratings and sliders do not mesh as good as they should. As a competitive park player for years, badges are clearly shown how powerful they are when differentiating between player to player.

2. Athleticism Representation

For years, strength(weight?) has not been represented well in 2k.This may be a bad example but Zach Randolph can feel like Shaquille O'Neal. Height and wingspan will always reign supreme (as it should) but bodyweight has never been properly represented. The balance and contrast needs to be shown more from player to player as to me all players feel similar. As basketball heads to the direction of "positionless" this is important, making each player feel unique.

4. Uneccessary, Bailout Like Fouls by AI Teammates.

This drives me insane. I have been on both sides of a run like all of us has had. Am I the only one that hates when an opposing player barrels into the paint(with the hip ride animation), I contest with player controlled player and the AI as the help defender FOULS the opponent? This gets me heated as, it is a bailout. It removes the reward of my defense.

5. JumpShots/Shots on Catch miss to represent Real Life %

Hear me out. I get it not every OPEN shot goes in, which applies to video games and real life. It's just frustrating operating a half-court offense when necessary and a wide open shot made off of multiples passes bricks meanwhile on the other side a player can shoot on transition hits. I don't like how the team that SHOOTS more threes always HITS more threes. I loved how three pointers were represented in 2k14. It rewarded the team that took more quality looks than now as it is quantities.

BUT its a VIDEO GAME. Reward the IQ of a user, Reward the decision making of a user, Reward knowing releases. To me it seems, if I played a game and every 3 I took was open(On HOF btw) NO MATTER WHAT the result will be 30-35%. I am not playing to replicate IRL stats, I'm playing the game to outthink my opponent.

These are my problems with current state of H2H. This is why I migrated to what many here think is not "sim" or "arcade" to park. In park/proam, I feel if I OUTPLAY/OUT-THINK my opponent I am rewarded. This same sense of reward is not present in h2h.

side note - Some solutions/additions to the game I would add-

Off-Ball Rating/Attribute - This rating will allow NBA players remain consistent if the ball is not in their hands for a while stay consistent.

Make the post-game great again. Make post-fades go in more. Dirk, MJ, Kobe, Pierce, Durant and even LeBron have used this shot to kill opponents. This shot is missed more than it should be in 2k18. This should allow players with height advantage over a defender better.

More animations moving off the ball. Curry highlights explain this.

Improved shooting off the dribble animations. Currently these animations are easily guessed, too slow and easy to contest.

Faster gather/catch animations. Some jumpshot bases are too slow. These are NBA players who have spent millions of hours on their jumpshot. It should take milliseconds to gather(unless a bad pass/cross court pass is made)

A "Close out button"
With more teams taking threes I think 2k should implement a button that when HELD it means the defender will rush to the defender.

Now the SPEED of the closeout depends on the defenders:
speed rating
on-ball defense rating
etc

A user closing out can let go of the button. If they predict the shooter will drive. (Can stop at an angle to cut off drive)

This adds the game/decision making of defender guessing whether or not a player is shooting or driving.

Pro Stick Blocking/Stealing

I loved the on-ball stealing controls of 2k17. For those who don't remember, defenders were able to steal with the right stick. 2k rewarded defenders that guessed which hand to pick. In other words, 2k rewarded defenders for guessing their opponents move. Defense is about predicting Offensive players actions.

I think they should implement the same system with blocking. This feature would be using the right stick.

Up - Straight up contest two hands(in the air not grounded)
Right- Shot blocker uses right hand
Left- Shot blocker uses left hand
Down- Hard Foul- prevent And-One
I agree go back to 2k17 defense.
Stop the bailout fouls by cpu.
And can the allstar team up cpu make a shot. The miss wide open layups and dunks.
Why do people drop easy passes when they are wide open it ridiculous.
The court should definitely be at least a tenth bigger.
Charging needs to be called more often .
The push through and off animations need to be dumbed down.
All body contact needs to drain stamina especially the ball handler.
Make denying the dropstep an option.
Let open hookshots and fadeaways go in.
Make it harder to get offensive rebounds without boxing out.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »