Home

Any good on ball defensive tips?

This is a discussion on Any good on ball defensive tips? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Any good on ball defensive tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
It sure doesn't help that blow by's & hip riding are unlike any other 2k preceding this one. I guess what you CAN do is use the right stick to create contact. So if they're driving right, hold the right stick right. Then once they go up for the shot, hold the right stick toward the shooter.

Playing back a little is fine, but the 2k gives the ability to execute step back jumpers & pull up shots way too easily. Even putting a hand up from 2 ft. away doesn't seem to count as defense. Speaking from personal experience, catching & shooting is MUCH easier than pulling up and shooting. Seems about the same in 2k though.
Yes I definitely hold the right stick in their direction, but it is still frustrating to see stars like Curry, Durant, LeBron still make the layup or dunk right through you. I think sometimes it is better to jump. Most of the time, I think I would rather them make a contested jumper over me instead of getting to the basket cuz if they get past me & I don't take control of the cpu in front of them in time to contest the drive, the cpu will foul them. They foul from behind sometimes too. So frustrating. I probably would have won many more close games if the cpus didn't foul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
Rookie

I meant to ask this. What does everyone have their intense D slider on? I've been having it on 15

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Pro

I have a few...

1. Adjust your defensive settings prior to the game and throughout. Observe how your opponent is playing and cater your defensive gameplan to it. I know you inquired about on-ball defense, but this will help with you having to hold the CPU's hand and potential defensive lapses that can be avoided.

2. For elite defense, it is marriage between the LS RS & both back buttons. Turbo should ONLY be used if you've been beat, but a lot of people use it to often and it gets you out of position. The RS in essence is used to fight back against the offensive player. Use that sporadically when you have someone constantly driving and you beat them to the spot.

3. Don't let animations finish the play! A lot of layup animations usually go in if you let it playout. Instead, manually jump and time it and at the least, it'll be a foul. At best you throw that dam shot where it belongs.

4. Change a matchup if it's not working. Example: Celtics vs. Warriors and Steph is cooking in the 1st quarter with Kyrie as a primary defender. In the second quarter it would be a good idea to throw Smart/Brown combo on him.

Those are a few off the top of my head. Last but not least, make sure to play more than on-ball. That is probably the main reason you get cooked. You need to find a balance between off-ball and on-ball and send help defenders before its too late, and stay home when necessary. The CPU defense is not sufficient against an elite offensive player.

EDIT: My preference is to turn off all defensive assist so I have as much control as possible. Boxout assist, ACE, intense D assist... ect.

Last edited by Nevertheles109; 07-20-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
Banned

Theres times you have to press R2 or L2. For instance, when a player is driving in toward the wing area, you have to turbo (R2) the same direction they’re going. I see alot of mistakes that guards do when they defend the perimeter and hold L2 instead. This only makes you ‘strafe’ left and right and you will never keep up with your man.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #13
MVP

When it comes to defending the drive, I feel it is combination of the things mention here:

First, spacing.Give about arm's length worth of space, this bit of space should give the time you need to read the direction of his drive and react, while still being in good enough position to contest a shot if needed.

Second,if he does attempt a drive, you want to beat him to the spot he is driving to.Honestly this is part awareness,part learning the opponent tendencies, and part educated guess. Practice and you will get better at it.

I try to mirror the player without using L2 to get to his spot first, and use the right stick along the way. Think of the right stick as controlling your hands, you can push into the player, or push them in the direction you want them to go (if you do it just right you can force them to a bad spot on the floor or even out of bounds).When it goes to the moment you think they will attempt the shot, then press L2 and push the right stick towards them.

If you have to jump, trying keeping the left stick neutral or push away from the player before pressing jump. This usually makes you jump straight up vertically instead of into the player, which is less likely to be called a shooting foul.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:16 PM   #14
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Any good on ball defensive tips?

Don’t play 2k18 lol

Only tip i have is for bigs mostly. But stay on your feet. 90% of bigs in this game suck and have no post moves. You’ve already locked up 90% of non sharp bigs in 2k If you don’t jump too much.

I tell my boy all the time why spam reach on a big if you are a big? I try to force everyone to attempt to standing dunk on me under the rim. That in most cases will be a 50/50 chance at a stop unless i pull out my pure rim protector then dudes will try it maybe once and give up because they will miss the dunk so much

Last edited by Housh123; 07-20-2018 at 11:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »