Home

NBA 2K19 Gameplay Video (Jesser)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K19 Gameplay Video (Jesser) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: NBA 2K19 Gameplay Video (Jesser)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Nah that was in the game last year so it’s not a band aid on the dreaded snatch back. In fact that step back (slightly different) was in the 2k18 and is a legit good move.

That was just warping that happened with players who had a high level of shot contest or high defense stopper / rim protector. It happened in the paint and on the perimeter . But it wasn’t something I saw a lot.
Yep, it's definitely in there last year, and prominent for me. I see it all the time, and it drives me nuts. Respect human movement. If I make a good move, and create space, close out, but do it realistically. These warping animations have no place in a game, just to contest shots. It kills immersion for me. I want to work for an open shot, and be rewarded with an open shot. If great defenders recover naturally and get close, then that's awesome. I'll work on someone who's not a great defender, and get my open shot.

Warping has got to go. When Lebron is mid jump on his ascension, Durant is at the free throw line, Lebron at the 3 pt line. There is 8' of difference between them (on a correct court). By the time Lebron releases, KD is completely recovered, and full contesting the shot. that defies speed and gravity, lol.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Yeah, that I don't see that often....and I played a LOT...and am still playing...In general though, hopefully they improve late closeout logic- counting them as heavy contests...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
What I propose is a new animation

Instead jumping to contest, run at the shooter with the hands up

You won't necessarily make it as a super strong contest, but it's appropriate.
Yes. That's all I'm asking. Respect physics. No cheesy animations to make up for the lack of a defensive contest.

One thing Live 15 did pretty well, was respected the space and closeout. At least at launch it did. You'd have to be really careful about how quickly you closed out, because you'd hit their arm, or knock them off balance, which was of course a foul. I'm not sure why they went away from that, as it was so pleasing man.

2k has a ton of crazy talented engineers/programmers/designers. They shouldn't have these cheesy bandaid fixes to offset the lack of a real contest. Reward me, let me have a more open shot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #12
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I want to work for an open shot, and be rewarded with an open shot. If great defenders recover naturally and get close, then that's awesome. I'll work on someone who's not a great defender, and get my open shot.
And this folks, is the basketball solution to this problem.

Perfect bro.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #13
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Yeah, that I don't see that often....and I played a LOT...and am still playing...In general though, hopefully they improve late closeout logic- counting them as heavy contests...

Yeah, I'm still playing too.

I think I stop and look at stuff more often than most folks. Something looks "off" to me, so I stop and look at it, and get aggravated, haha.

Nothing irks me more than swinging the ball to a wide open shooter, elevate for my shot, then all the sudden the defense is right up in my grill, and it's contested. A lot of it could be the court dimensions too. I'm sure it helps keep shooting percentages down, as defenders have an easier time recovering to shooters.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
Pro

hesko's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
What I propose is a new animation

Instead jumping to contest, run at the shooter with the hands up

You won't necessarily make it as a super strong contest, but it's appropriate.
thats how i wish the right stick defense worked, but oh well i guess. seems like it wouldve been an easy fix/patch though.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #15
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

I think I stop and look at stuff more often than most folks. Something looks "off" to me, so I stop and look at it, and get aggravated, haha.

Nothing irks me more than swinging the ball to a wide open shooter, elevate for my shot, then all the sudden the defense is right up in my grill, and it's contested. A lot of it could be the court dimensions too. I'm sure it helps keep shooting percentages down, as defenders have an easier time recovering to shooters.
I'm definitely with you as far as contesting logic.

With the custom Hall of Fame settings I played on, swinging the ball to the open man was vital...and there were definitely times I felt there were unearned 'heavy contests' after finally finding the open man. I had to turn of contest feedback so I wouldnt get as annoyed

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #16
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

I hear ya - pardon my potential ignorance here (I think 23 made a point about this also) - but the shooting animations are very comprehensive (some slow, some fast, certain gather times etc.) whilst there clearly hasn't been nearly as much work put into close out animations.

The Durant example seemed to skip a frame or 2 to allow him back into the picture to contest.

It seems it's a case of being shy an animation or 2 (or a few). Sure, certain wingspan guys should have more of a contesting ability (which leads us back to what Will said about targeting a different defender). But it's gotta be about basketball fixes - not band-aid fixes.

Bearing in mind, this is all from a few views and not a whole lot of thought.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »