Home

So green releases are still automatic makes?

This is a discussion on So green releases are still automatic makes? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: So green releases are still automatic makes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
2K is too deep in the shot meter/green release mechanic to remove it now.

The park/myplayer community would go mad if they ever took it out.

I hated how it was implemented in 15 so of course I was pissed when they decided to bring it back in 17 after taking it out in 16 but they managed to implement it properly. So I don't mind it anymore.
Yea Mike Wang admitted a while ago he wished he never put green releases as automatic because now everyone thinks they deserve them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackzagal
I don't really mind that greens are automatic. If they weren't, it would be basically pointless to have a green, better to have a "full white" bar at most. The problem will always be how much frequent they might or might not be and whatnot. Only sharpshooters should have the highest chances of getting a green, and contesting a shot should have a effect, obviously.

Mike Wang will surely have a few headaches tuning the sliders, as always, shooting is always something where it's hard to satisfy everyone...
In my opinion, it wouldn't be pointless at all. It would indicate that you maximized your ability at making the shot. So it would be more likely to go in considering those factors. And another thing people talk about the skilled involved in timing shots, while we completely leave the most important part of shooting (Aim) out of 2k's basketball equation. They had it in 2k17 where you had to aim your joystick down, which made sense.
It would be nice if 2k had a hardcore mode where the only way to get greens were to time it right and aim the joystick down properly.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Because I took a shot with a green release and it missed lol

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk
Wow, im happy to hear that
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 0

First let me state that I believe taking good shots should have much more effect than perfect release timing. However these posts don't really indicate how the system works. There is no 100% make in the game. If you were to get the release timing for a shot perfect every single time it would still only register a green release a certain percentage of the time considering other factors such as attributes/badges/coverage. So I have the same jump shot with two players, one has a 92 3 with a gold badge and the other has an 80 with bronze. Taking an open shot at the top of the key for player 1 with perfect timing may result in a green 70% of the time while player 2 might only register a green release 45% of the time. Therefore having a perfectly timed release only increases your percentage of getting a green release but does not guarantee you make the shot. Also some perfectly timed releases that register white instead of green as well as non perfectly timed releases go in but at a significantly reduced rate. Individual jumpshots vary widely with how often you will get a green vs how often a white may go in. So one particular jump shot may achieve a green release with perfect timing 60% of the time but only ever achieve a made shot on a white release 2% of the time. This results in the dreaded full bar white bricks everyone was complaining about, and led 2k to change what should register as a good release to slightly early/late. Unfortunately this added a ton of confusion and frustration to the system. They should have just been more transparent about how it works.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
Yea Mike Wang admitted a while ago he wished he never put green releases as automatic because now everyone thinks they deserve them.

In my opinion, it wouldn't be pointless at all. It would indicate that you maximized your ability at making the shot. So it would be more likely to go in considering those factors. And another thing people talk about the skilled involved in timing shots, while we completely leave the most important part of shooting (Aim) out of 2k's basketball equation. They had it in 2k17 where you had to aim your joystick down, which made sense.
It would be nice if 2k had a hardcore mode where the only way to get greens were to time it right and aim the joystick down properly.
They tried the aiming thing already. Sounded good in theory, but it was hard as hell in practice, lol! I was excited for it, but it was hard to aim so precisely with the right stick. My only suggestion was that they needed a way to calibrate the right stick. In my short use of it, I could always aim the stick in the exact same spot consistently (just barely East from the down spot), but I couldn't aim straight down like I needed to.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #13
Banned

Housh123's Arena

They should be auto makes

Why would you possibly want to see a green release miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #14
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
First let me state that I believe taking good shots should have much more effect than perfect release timing. However these posts don't really indicate how the system works. There is no 100% make in the game. If you were to get the release timing for a shot perfect every single time it would still only register a green release a certain percentage of the time considering other factors such as attributes/badges/coverage. So I have the same jump shot with two players, one has a 92 3 with a gold badge and the other has an 80 with bronze. Taking an open shot at the top of the key for player 1 with perfect timing may result in a green 70% of the time while player 2 might only register a green release 45% of the time. Therefore having a perfectly timed release only increases your percentage of getting a green release but does not guarantee you make the shot. Also some perfectly timed releases that register white instead of green as well as non perfectly timed releases go in but at a significantly reduced rate. Individual jumpshots vary widely with how often you will get a green vs how often a white may go in. So one particular jump shot may achieve a green release with perfect timing 60% of the time but only ever achieve a made shot on a white release 2% of the time. This results in the dreaded full bar white bricks everyone was complaining about, and led 2k to change what should register as a good release to slightly early/late. Unfortunately this added a ton of confusion and frustration to the system. They should have just been more transparent about how it works.
This is how it should be in an actual practice. However and as other people had said before, it's a culture now where people considered a green release to be an automatic shot. There's no moving away from that. The only thing that Mike Wang can do now is to make it harder to get a green release.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
They should be auto makes

Why would you possibly want to see a green release miss?

No, they shouldn't. This argument has already been beaten to death, so I'm not going to bother.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
No, they shouldn't. This argument has already been beaten to death, so I'm not going to bother.

There should just be way less greens given out. Getting a green release should be kinda rare imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »