Home

Are ball handlers too fast or are user on ball D defenders too slow?

This is a discussion on Are ball handlers too fast or are user on ball D defenders too slow? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0
Are ball handlers too fast or are user on ball D defenders too slow?

Played one of the "top 15" XBOX guys on the all time leaderboard, whose game consisted nothing of turbo sprinting at all times on offense. Entire gameplan was ISO with Kobe & get all the blow-by animations and turbo explosions that lead to layups, dunks, and free throws. When he missed, it was all offensive rebounds by Shaq, Horace, & Malone.

So here I am, thinking that lateral quickness & great defenders actually matter (like most of you say here), and had the '96 Sonics & Gary Payton defending kobe. I'm giving Kobe at least 3-4ft of space cause I know the blow-by's coming, but Payton looks like he's skating on ice compared to how freakin fast Kobe is off the dribble. Now I can understand someone like Nash guarding Kobe, but the greatest on-ball defender of all time looks hopeless out there.

So either defense is way too slow, or the animations & speed for ball handlers is set at a ridiculously high rate. Regardless, I'm hoping for 2k19 to fix this.

I imagine this problem is 10X worse on Park & Pro-AM, but I refuse to play that arcade mess at this point.

I'm not asking for the blow-by's to go away completely, but the speed difference is utterly ridiculous at this point if you're playing on ball D. Disregard the fact I didn't even mention the full court jogging back on defense, but that's a totally different issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Are ball handlers too fast or are user on ball D defenders too slow?

I do not play on-line, but this was an issue off-line as well. The defenders were basically stuck in mud last year when moving laterally.

Based on the early feedback, it sounds like defense was a focal point for 2K19. Hopefully, these issues will be resolved.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I do not play on-line, but this was an issue off-line as well. The defenders were basically stuck in mud last year when moving laterally.

Based on the early feedback, it sounds like defense was a focal point for 2K19. Hopefully, these issues will be resolved.

"Lateral movement" was the phrase I was looking for, thanks for clarifying.

But that extra .3 seconds of natural delay online trying to defend turbo 24/7 makes the situation so much worse.

Last edited by Cowboyfan_19; 07-24-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #4
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
"Lateral movement" was the phrase I was looking for, thanks for clarifying.

But that extra .3 seconds of natural delay online trying to defend turbo 24/7 makes the situation so much worse.
I know this won't apply to a lot of PNO, but from my perspective: Defense to me is anticipation. Your girl here tries to figure out what they are doing and takes it away. Running a 2 in pro-am means I deal with dribble god speedboosters regularly. And during the zig zag, I actually let off turbo. Usually a player will have a rhythm. They'll move x steps to then left, stop and go back.

For example, a guy I was on last night tried going middle for 3 dribbles before breaking to whatever baseline was nearest. I could tell people usually bite on this, cause I'd take one step towards him, 3 back to shade baseline and he ran into me.

Top players will vary their approach more, but defense has always been anticipate first, reaction second. I'm not defending the way defense works in these games, at all. That's my humble tip.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Operation Sports mobile app

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 07-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
I know this won't apply to a lot of PNO, but from my perspective: Defense to me is anticipation. Your girl here tries to figure out what they are doing and takes it away. Running a 2 in pro-am means I deal with dribble god speedboosters regularly. And during the zig zag, I actually let off turbo. Usually a player will have a rhythm. They'll move x steps to then left, stop and go back.

For example, a guy I was on last night tried going middle for 3 dribbles before breaking to whatever baseline was nearest. I could tell people usually bite on this, cause I'd take one step towards him, 3 back to shade baseline and he ran into me.

Top players will vary their approach more, but defense has always been anticipate first, reaction second. I'm not defending the way defense works in these games, at all. That's my humble tip.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Operation Sports mobile app

Sounds like great advice to me. I've always been a "react to what you see" kind of guy & it usually works flawlessly against ANYONE within 10 ft. of the basket.

Guess it doesn't hurt to try something different, because I'm getting burned alive playing how I play against anyone above the 3pt line, especially if they can pull up from 3 and even WORSE if they have limitless range.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

It's realistic for defenders who are moving laterally and/or backwards to be significantly slower than a ball handler who's moving forward and knowing which direction he's going before the defender can react. Part of why all good defenders in real life are exceptional in terms of lateral quickness and anticipation.

In a video game anticipation isn't there, not for a user controlled defender at least. Because if you are controlling a defender and don't make the move to shift left/right BEFORE the CPU or user controlled opponent you should get blown by every single time, that's how it would be in real life. Hard to replicate in a video game because you can't always be one step ahead, you aren't staring back at a ball handler reading his next move.

2K's biggest issue is the concept of team defense. Blow byes will happen all the time. Not even the worlds greatest defenders can guard the elite scorers when left on an island one-on-one. 2K's team defensive schemes are a bit watered down IMO. As off ball defenders reactions should be able to destroy anyone who's only goal is to turbo spam. Help should be there, and also ready to pick off his erratic kick out pass once meeting help.

It's replicated better playing on high difficulties, but playing online ruins that experience.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

On ball defense only feels bad online for me not offline . In pro am defense can be extremely sluggish
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
On ball defense only feels bad online for me not offline . In pro am defense can be extremely sluggish

Exactly my thoughts. I can play on-ball D fine, even with no-name defenders offline. Online though, It's frustrating deciding whether to sag off & give up the easy 3, or play tight and certainly get blown by. The pull up 3's and step back mid range jumpers guys use all the time with Melo, Kobe, Harden, and a few others are too good that I have to respect it and play tighter than I normally would.

It's got to be a combination of the CPU just not holding turbo at all times & online latency that makes offline on ball D at least respectable.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »