Home

My League ONLINE 2K18-2K19: Good, Bad and Ugly Areas to Improve

This is a discussion on My League ONLINE 2K18-2K19: Good, Bad and Ugly Areas to Improve within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2018, 11:11 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon3 My League ONLINE 2K18-2K19: Good, Bad and Ugly Areas to Improve

I still remember the first online league I joined many 2K iterations ago. I remember the excitement I felt of finding a group of users that I would be able to play multiple seasons with and watch how the league would evolve.

In possibly, 9 consecutive past 2K basketball games, I want to say I have successfully COMPLETED a FULL season (14, 29, 56, 82 games) ONCE! I know there are successful leagues out there but it baffles me that in 9 games, the same core group of guys I play with, we're unable to successfully complete a season. Here are the reasons why I believe this problem exists:

Top Online League complaints
(Not my opinions, just what I've repeatedly heard/seen over the years)

1. Too many games/Too little games:
Users complain that the season is too long or too short. We've tried 14/29 games and the complaint becomes there aren't enough games to be played so Users are demanding we "sim to playoffs". Personally, I [b]Hate[b] simming any games.

Possible Solution: Set requirements to make playoffs. Ex. Users must play x-amount of games to make playoffs regardless of record; Users must win x-amount of games to make playoffs; custom rules to make playoffs (It takes away from the immersion of the NBA feel but I don't have a better solution at the moment)

When we've upped the games to 56/82 games, the complaint becomes there are too many games and it's time to "sim to playoffs". I'm not sure what the right amount of games to play is because most users WANT the option to rematch an opponent they've played but the problem lies in the INACTIVE users which brings me to the next complaint...

2. Inactive Users:
Gathering up 29 users to join a league is a chore. It's not like the good ol' college dormroom days anymore when most users were tied to similar schedules, the world is BIGGER. 29 different users have 29 different schedules, as well as multiple different times zones they are playing from. My 11 o'clock going on midnight on a work night might be the equivalent to someone else's 8 o'clock just getting ready to relax for a few hours on 2K. I don't remember which 2K it was but there was an iteration which had a league pace timer and simmed games automatically NO MATTER WHAT. Surprisingly, I kind of miss that. You either knew your schedule and were ready to play at set time or you weren't and there wasn't a debate. I love the control admins were given with the ability to SIM and unsim games but INACTIVES KILL leagues. I'm not sure what the solution to that is unless we take a step backwards and create leagues with less than 30 teams/users, but I am dissatisfied with the pattern of rallying good core group of guys only to have to deal with inactives then have to recruit another user to take the place of someone (more than likely) destroyed the teams roster and just stopped playing because they couldn't take the losses or life just hit them hard.

Possible Solution: Revert to setting exactly how many teams will be in league. Or give us the option for both (30 teams CPU and User or Set amount of Users [less than 30 teams])

3. Communication:
As an admin, gathering 30 Users is a chore. If I successfully complete that task, how does 2K assist me in allowing the other users to communicate with each other? For trades? For signing? To schedule games between users? There is no assistance. More times than not, the majority of users in the league don't ACTUALLY know each other. We have gotten creative enough to use apps on our phones. GroupMe has been the preferred app that we use to talk trash, set up games, discuss trades... what happened to the website 2K had dedicated to Online League users a few years back? Something like that would be outrageously useful! Knowing when guys are available to play (posted availability???) Just looking at whether a user's icon is green or not tells us very little on whether we realistically will be able to get a game in or not.

Possible Solution: Bring back the 2K website? Partner up with an app such as GroupMe? Possibly create a Universal 2K app JUST FOR MyLeague Online? Add a MyLeague Online option to the 2K app that is religiously released every year to scan our faces and try to get us to win VC...anything to connect users of MyLeague Online UNIVERSALLY.
*This could possibly open the door for users to upload highlights from games...Users could vote on top plays of the day/week/season.

4. League Changes/Notifications/News
I have joined plenty of leagues where there is CONSTANT cheating going on under the hood. Admins changing sliders to suit their style of play, co-admins changing the ratings of players on their team/opponent they're about to play, admins simming/resetting games that should not have been simmed/reset...a lot of fishy things going on. Not everyone has online morals. People WILL try to cheat if they don't get caught.

Possible Solution: Notify ALL users of ANY changes that impact the league that admins do. I shouldn't have to play a game against Tony Allen and watch him make 10 contested three and wonder what's going on only to have to dig into his attributes and notice an admin jacked up his shooting attributes to gain an advantage.

5. Coach Gameplan:
I spend a lot of time gameplanning defensive schemes versus my opponents players. It drives me crazy when a User trades away a player, the gameplan is completely reset and I have to do it all over for set player. I don't trust the ACE system enough to leave everything on automatic yet.

Possible Solution: Let me save my defensive gameplan either locally or on the cloud so that after I do it once, I never have to do it again unless I am making adjustments.
*I would love this option for Play Now Online as well.
**Tag On Roll seems to be an option you can change only in the gameplan screen and NOT in the in-game coaching screen.

6. Contracts:
Is it a technical reason that we went away from player contracts and to Keepers? This change was terrible in my opinion. It destroys trading balance, it destroys the value of younger players vs. older players, it destroys the concept of managing a team. Sometimes good players are let go because the team just can't afford him anymore. That aspect is completely out the window. Users SOLELY look at overall ratings to make trades, contracts should be apart of every trade discussion.

Possible Solution: Bring back contracts. Give us the option to choose between Keepers and contracts.

7. Injuries/Rest
Some users hate it, some love it. I love the idea of an injury taking place and having to adjust and figure out new ways to win without a key PIECE to your team. There are users who practically quit leagues because "Lebron is out for 3 games" because set User played Lebron the ENTIRE game and refused to make a substitution. I honestly wouldn't mind random injuries that don't happen in-game ala injuries from practice or something for users who play their guys without any thought of rest. PENALIZE these Users please!

I would like to lobby for the addition of games building up wear and tear to the player forcing us to have to think about resting players. I think it would be realistic for a Warriors user to consider resting KD, Steph, Klay because they're playing the lowly Nets and just game off a double overtime game against the Rockets. I personally think this would add to the immersion because all of us know that as a Nets user, you're not looking forward to playing a fully loaded Warriors roster.

Possible Solution: Deeper injury effects, rest option, In-game fatigue meters as well as Regular season fatigue meters.
*Younger players should have higher meters than older/injured players. Very few exceptions to the rule ex. Lebron James, but anything is possible.

That is all for now, when I come up with more ideas, I will post. Feel free to comments on your thoughts!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #2
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: My League ONLINE 2K18-2K19: Good, Bad and Ugly Areas to Improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswhozbak17
I still remember the first online league I joined many 2K iterations ago. I remember the excitement I felt of finding a group of users that I would be able to play multiple seasons with and watch how the league would evolve.

In possibly, 9 consecutive past 2K basketball games, I want to say I have successfully COMPLETED a FULL season (14, 29, 56, 82 games) ONCE! I know there are successful leagues out there but it baffles me that in 9 games, the same core group of guys I play with, we're unable to successfully complete a season. Here are the reasons why I believe this problem exists:

Users complain that the season is too long or too short. We've tried 14/29 games and the complaint becomes there aren't enough games to be played so Users are demanding we "sim to playoffs". Personally, I [b]Hate[b] simming any games.

Possible Solution: Set requirements to make playoffs. Ex. Users must play x-amount of games to make playoffs regardless of record; Users must win x-amount of games to make playoffs; custom rules to make playoffs (It takes away from the immersion of the NBA feel but I don't have a better solution at the moment)

When we've upped the games to 56/82 games, the complaint becomes there are too many games and it's time to "sim to playoffs". I'm not sure what the right amount of games to play is because most users WANT the option to rematch an opponent they've played but the problem lies in the INACTIVE users which brings me to the next complaint...

2. Inactive Users:
Gathering up 29 users to join a league is a chore. It's not like the good ol' college dormroom days anymore when most users were tied to similar schedules, the world is BIGGER. 29 different users have 29 different schedules, as well as multiple different times zones they are playing from. My 11 o'clock going on midnight on a work night might be the equivalent to someone else's 8 o'clock just getting ready to relax for a few hours on 2K. I don't remember which 2K it was but there was an iteration which had a league pace timer and simmed games automatically NO MATTER WHAT. Surprisingly, I kind of miss that. You either knew your schedule and were ready to play at set time or you weren't and there wasn't a debate. I love the control admins were given with the ability to SIM and unsim games but INACTIVES KILL leagues. I'm not sure what the solution to that is unless we take a step backwards and create leagues with less than 30 teams/users, but I am dissatisfied with the pattern of rallying good core group of guys only to have to deal with inactives then have to recruit another user to take the place of someone (more than likely) destroyed the teams roster and just stopped playing because they couldn't take the losses or life just hit them hard.

Possible Solution: Revert to setting exactly how many teams will be in league. Or give us the option for both (30 teams CPU and User or Set amount of Users [less than 30 teams])

3. Communication:
As an admin, gathering 30 Users is a chore. If I successfully complete that task, how does 2K assist me in allowing the other users to communicate with each other? For trades? For signing? To schedule games between users? There is no assistance. More times than not, the majority of users in the league don't ACTUALLY know each other. We have gotten creative enough to use apps on our phones. GroupMe has been the preferred app that we use to talk trash, set up games, discuss trades... what happened to the website 2K had dedicated to Online League users a few years back? Something like that would be outrageously useful! Knowing when guys are available to play (posted availability???) Just looking at whether a user's icon is green or not tells us very little on whether we realistically will be able to get a game in or not.

Possible Solution: Bring back the 2K website? Partner up with an app such as GroupMe? Possibly create a Universal 2K app JUST FOR MyLeague Online? Add a MyLeague Online option to the 2K app that is religiously released every year to scan our faces and try to get us to win VC...anything to connect users of MyLeague Online UNIVERSALLY.
*This could possibly open the door for users to upload highlights from games...Users could vote on top plays of the day/week/season.

I have joined plenty of leagues where there is CONSTANT cheating going on under the hood. Admins changing sliders to suit their style of play, co-admins changing the ratings of players on their team/opponent they're about to play, admins simming/resetting games that should not have been simmed/reset...a lot of fishy things going on. Not everyone has online morals. People WILL try to cheat if they don't get caught.

Possible Solution: Notify ALL users of ANY changes that impact the league that admins do. I shouldn't have to play a game against Tony Allen and watch him make 10 contested three and wonder what's going on only to have to dig into his attributes and notice an admin jacked up his shooting attributes to gain an advantage.

5. Coach Gameplan:
I spend a lot of time gameplanning defensive schemes versus my opponents players. It drives me crazy when a User trades away a player, the gameplan is completely reset and I have to do it all over for set player. I don't trust the ACE system enough to leave everything on automatic yet.

Possible Solution: Let me save my defensive gameplan either locally or on the cloud so that after I do it once, I never have to do it again unless I am making adjustments.
**Tag On Roll seems to be an option you can change only in the gameplan screen and NOT in the in-game coaching screen.

6. Contracts:
Is it a technical reason that we went away from player contracts and to Keepers? This change was terrible in my opinion. It destroys trading balance, it destroys the value of younger players vs. older players, it destroys the concept of managing a team. Sometimes good players are let go because the team just can't afford him anymore. That aspect is completely out the window. Users SOLELY look at overall ratings to make trades, contracts should be apart of every trade discussion.

Possible Solution: Bring back contracts. Give us the option to choose between Keepers and contracts.

7. Injuries/Rest
Some users hate it, some love it. I love the idea of an injury taking place and having to adjust and figure out new ways to win without a key PIECE to your team. There are users who practically quit leagues because "Lebron is out for 3 games" because set User played Lebron the ENTIRE game and refused to make a substitution. I honestly wouldn't mind random injuries that don't happen in-game ala injuries from practice or something for users who play their guys without any thought of rest. PENALIZE these Users please!

I would like to lobby for the addition of games building up wear and tear to the player forcing us to have to think about resting players. I think it would be realistic for a Warriors user to consider resting KD, Steph, Klay because they're playing the lowly Nets and just game off a double overtime game against the Rockets. I personally think this would add to the immersion because all of us know that as a Nets user, you're not looking forward to playing a fully loaded Warriors roster.

Possible Solution: Deeper injury effects, rest option, In-game fatigue meters as well as Regular season fatigue meters.
*Younger players should have higher meters than older/injured players. Very few exceptions to the rule ex. Lebron James, but anything is possible.

That is all for now, when I come up with more ideas, I will post. Feel free to comments on your thoughts!
I havnt been in a online league for a few years now. Last I was in I played all 82 (12 min qtrs) and was waiting on others to finish as some were in the 50’s, 60’s, game played area. Then some co commish deleted the league. I was so pissed.

I’m hoping to get in one again this year with custom rosters with cpu teams tendencies done and sliders. 16 users with 14 cpu teams. That I believe is probably best way to go as 30 users is way too hard. You always have guys in the league better then others and guys go 1-9 to start a season and quit. Lol! Or guys will complain as their definition of sim is different than another guys. I’m not that guy. We did have basic rules but for me I want 30 different users and 30 different playing styles. I don’t expect everyone to play with the team they have and to their real life play style. They are the coach. If you want to pick up 3/4 court fine by me. But again everyone’s definition of sim varies. We always played by if it happens irl in year 1 then it happens in our league as well. If a player traded irl as an example. The whole purpose for me is to have fun and know when I sit down to play and get away from the every day grind I know I’m going to get a good sim game. Loved playing vs Jwill, alabamarob, phillysfinest13, boric, ecworldwide, dwadeheatmvp, Marty Ella, Richmond, etc... good times! We had a 4-7 minimum to maximum you could play per week to keep league close together in games played. Unfortunately life does get in the way and you have good intentions to finish it out but things come up.

I think part of why I havnt been in one the last few years is the missing elements compared to offline league the last few years. Ame had huge threads the last 2. Hopefully someone is with him this year when info is released for online league so he doesn’t jump off the cliff. Lol! I can’t see them ignoring for a 3rd year after those huge threads though.

It’s not easy to manage though and get committed guys. I think you need 3-4 guys you can trust to really run it efficiently. Always issues when 1 is not around. I do think having a website would be huge to bring everyone together! A place you can upload clips, stories, etc. while at work or on phone you can check in on stats and box scores. I also agree that’s not idea to have to reset gameplans everytime a transaction go’s through. But anyways just chiming in and I agree with most of the stuff mentioned.

Fingers crossed we get some good news in a blog on this front soon, but this makes me want to start one up again for 19!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswhozbak17

2. Inactive Users:

3. Communication:

5. Coach Gameplan:

6. Contracts:

7. Injuries/Rest

All good thoughts but after running a league for years striving for 30 users, I can honestly say the problem with leagues are the users.

Everybody loves the game but they hate the actually playing part. Put them in a 7 game playoff series (the best part of a league experience IMO) and it’s even worse.

I can probably count on one hand guys in the whole world who’d play an 82 game season and playoffs no matter how the season went. Maybe I’m exaggerating a tad but the number is very small compared to the number of guys who are all excited to join leagues and then never play a single game.

Now I feel the ideal league would be two users, one in the east and one in the west or 6 users, one in each division and play the schedule.

The other way is to start the season with the playoffs and call it a day but I can almost guarantee you 16 users couldn’t even manage that.

Outside a league format, I can always find 100’s of 12 min qtr league quality games against great users along with lots of 7 game series on my own but never contained in a single file with everybody doing it together.

As long as no one keeps track of results or sees each other, it works.

The only real way you could potentially get 30 users to do it would be to pay them for completed games but they’d all have to live in the same house on a reality TV show.

Sorry to bring a negative slant to your quality post. Deep down, I love leagues as much as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #4
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Lmao coach! It’s not easy for sure! I know 2 guys and that’s you and alabamarob who I’d have no issues with for a full 82! Personally I could care less about my record but that’s easy to say as if usually in the 66% win range... but for me it is about just playing games but nice to have a little competition and meaning behind the games. There has to be 16 good guys between the 3 of us friends list we could trust and lock down? Even 8 I’d be cool with 22 cpu teams. As long as it’s a custom roster with tendencies done...

I will say I did the commish thing and that was a nightmare! Guys hit me up constantly all day every day with issues! Lol
Old 07-26-2018, 12:03 AM   #5
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I havnt been in a online league for a few years now. Last I was in I played all 82 (12 min qtrs) and was waiting on others to finish as some were in the 50’s, 60’s, game played area. Then some co commish deleted the league. I was so pissed.

I’m hoping to get in one again this year with custom rosters with cpu teams tendencies done and sliders. 16 users with 14 cpu teams. That I believe is probably best way to go as 30 users is way too hard. You always have guys in the league better then others and guys go 1-9 to start a season and quit. Lol! Or guys will complain as their definition of sim is different than another guys. I’m not that guy. We did have basic rules but for me I want 30 different users and 30 different playing styles. I don’t expect everyone to play with the team they have and to their real life play style. They are the coach. If you want to pick up 3/4 court fine by me. But again everyone’s definition of sim varies. We always played by if it happens irl in year 1 then it happens in our league as well. If a player traded irl as an example. The whole purpose for me is to have fun and know when I sit down to play and get away from the every day grind I know I’m going to get a good sim game. Loved playing vs Jwill, alabamarob, phillysfinest13, boric, ecworldwide, dwadeheatmvp, Marty Ella, Richmond, etc... good times! We had a 4-7 minimum to maximum you could play per week to keep league close together in games played. Unfortunately life does get in the way and you have good intentions to finish it out but things come up.

I think part of why I havnt been in one the last few years is the missing elements compared to offline league the last few years. Ame had huge threads the last 2. Hopefully someone is with him this year when info is released for online league so he doesn’t jump off the cliff. Lol! I can’t see them ignoring for a 3rd year after those huge threads though.

It’s not easy to manage though and get committed guys. I think you need 3-4 guys you can trust to really run it efficiently. Always issues when 1 is not around. I do think having a website would be huge to bring everyone together! A place you can upload clips, stories, etc. while at work or on phone you can check in on stats and box scores. I also agree that’s not idea to have to reset gameplans everytime a transaction go’s through. But anyways just chiming in and I agree with most of the stuff mentioned.

Fingers crossed we get some good news in a blog on this front soon, but this makes me want to start one up again for 19!

If we can get your roster ported over to the PS4 I’m considering using your roster for the season.

I just finished a series vs a guy who used the Spurs and while I was able to take it to six games, I got demolished by 50 a couple of games because I couldn’t stop Leonard after missed shots and turnovers!

Still it was fun.

But I think we are dreaming if we think they’ll be new league features!

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #6
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
If we can get your roster ported over to the PS4 I’m considering using your roster for the season.

I just finished a series vs a guy who used the Spurs and while I was able to take it to six games, I got demolished by 50 a couple of games because I couldn’t stop Leonard after missed shots and turnovers!

Still it was fun.

But I think we are dreaming if we think they’ll be new league features!

I don’t think they could ignore it for a 3rd year after those threads amedawg had and the response in it. It would shock me! If they say data shows thats BS because if it was a full mode o believe numbers would grow. You got a Xbox though too right? You could do on either system?
Old 07-26-2018, 12:06 AM   #7
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Lmao coach! It’s not easy for sure! I know 2 guys and that’s you and alabamarob who I’d have no issues with for a full 82! Personally I could care less about my record but that’s easy to say as if usually in the 66% win range... but for me it is about just playing games but nice to have a little competition and meaning behind the games. There has to be 16 good guys between the 3 of us friends list we could trust and lock down? Even 8 I’d be cool with 22 cpu teams. As long as it’s a custom roster with tendencies done...

I will say I did the commish thing and that was a nightmare! Guys hit me up constantly all day every day with issues! Lol

I don’t care how good my team is I’m a .500 player. Sometimes under.

It’s too bad your on the Xbox! We need a go fund me to get you in the PS4!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #8
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
I don’t think they could ignore it for a 3rd year after those threads amedawg had and the response in it. It would shock me! If they say data shows thats BS because if it was a full mode o believe numbers would grow. You got a Xbox though too right? You could do on either system?

I do have one but I’d have to use ps4 controller.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »