Home

Is there an accepted definition of what skill gap means on this board?

This is a discussion on Is there an accepted definition of what skill gap means on this board? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2018, 02:49 AM   #1
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0
Is there an accepted definition of what skill gap means on this board?

I see it used a lot but don’t think it’s been formerly explained here

Imo my definition of skill gap is that a game with a large skill gap is a game that takes more skill to be elite at. Aka 2ks skill gap is very small meaning AS A WHOLE the best 2k players on the planet are not much better than the average players. They probably know how to do one or two more things and master it.

You go to another game such as Fortnite with a large skill gap. Meaning the best Fortnite players in the world are WORLDS better than average Fortnite players. An average Fortnite player will basically NEVER beat a top 100 player in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Is there an accepted definition of what skill gap means on this board?

Imo an adequate skill gap translates to low effort, surface level play not being effective and efficient at a high level in game. Stuff like inbounding the ball to half court and tossing the ball to the pf who is probably wide open because the defensive CPU is busy clapping at the crowd. Calling isolation at the wing and turboing baseline until you trigger a blowby animation to get a contact dunk. Calling iso, sprinting towards the rim and doing a snatchback that forces 10ft of space for an open 3 etc.

When low effort play yields massive reward, the skill gap is really small because you don't need to put much effort into learning the game and knowing basketball to be successful competitively. I already saw some of that in the brief time I watched the eleague
Old 07-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
Banned

Yup. Less cheese, more realism = greater skill gap. You make a cheesy game that delivers unrealistic results, it means trash players can be good. Can't count how many times I've seen bad players succeed on unrealistic things - bad shot selections, glitches (spamming LB on defense), etc.

The more realistic/sim bball iq-dependent a game is, the more scared cheesers would be, because they know they'd get exposed.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #4
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith01
Yup. Less cheese, more realism = greater skill gap. You make a cheesy game that delivers unrealistic results, it means trash players can be good. Can't count how many times I've seen bad players succeed on unrealistic things - bad shot selections, glitches (spamming LB on defense), etc.

The more realistic/sim bball iq-dependent a game is, the more scared cheesers would be, because they know they'd get exposed.

Hit it on point. The cheesier the game experience = less skill gap.

Here's my record on standard PNO:

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...c8&oe=5BDEE00E

As you can see, 90% of the time I'm gonna be the underdog in every game I play, just for the simple fact that I don't use teams that have a superstar SG or SF that can ISO turbo & blow boy dunk on everybody like every online player seems to need to compete....and yet I still have around a 60% win total.

And here's my record when I play on NBA Playgrounds 2 / NBA JAM (sorry, I mean MyTeam):

https://scontent-dfw5-2.xx.fbcdn.net...23&oe=5C0E579B

So yea, the more sim the experience, the better results you're gonna have if you have better basketball knowledge than your opponent.

Last edited by Cowboyfan_19; 07-26-2018 at 07:53 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »