Home

NBA 2K19 Screenshot - Luka Doncic (Overall Rating - 79)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K19 Screenshot - Luka Doncic (Overall Rating - 79) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2018, 02:13 PM   #33
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K19 Screenshot - Luka Doncic (Overall Rating - 79)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnythelegend
I didn't mean it as an insult, like "why are you nitpicking", but seriously I'd never catch something like that, that's really an eye for detail. I didn't really like how 2k18 looked, but these small differences don't really impact my opinion about the game that much, gameplay is far above on the priority list. But I am sure the lightning and the overall presentation would really help bringing the realistic experience.
my bad, sorry for being picky. It was just disappointing to see downgraded graphics from the new game while other games go the opposite way.

I didn't like how 2k18 looked either. I was expecting some upgrades as the graphic engine matures year after year.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #34
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Ok sooooooo I guess i'll be the ratings bad guy lol. First: Let me say Stauff (a former OSer) is the best in the business. BAR NONE.

I think we all agree the rookie who came in with the biggest hype was Lebron (SI cover, 1st team USA Today as a junior, games on ESPN as a senior) he also had the highest upside/most varied skillset. Seeing guys come in rated higher than him is well......OFF.

He was a 78 in 2K4.

A great rating IMO...but for consistency sake, no rookie should be coming in rated higher than that the same way only MJ and coming-off-back-to-back-titles-Lebron (2K14) are 99s. A great example being last year when neither Fultz nor Lonzo came anywhere flipping CLOSE to the 80 they were given at launch. Simmons had a 79 (I disagreed with that as well) IMO there should be a gap between Lebron and these rookies coming in unless they're generational guys. Simmons looks the part but he's still far from Lebron. I'd have liked to see him at maybe a 75 and we should be working out way down from there.

Ratings accuracy is important and higher ratings can happen after they're earned. With Roster updates there's literally never a reason to do a fluff "we-want-him-to-be-fun-to-play-with rating" IMO.

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-04-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #35
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Ok sooooooo I guess i'll be the ratings bad guy lol. First: Let me say Stauff (a former OSer) is the best in the business. BAR NONE.

I think we all agree the rookie who came in with the biggest hype was Lebron (SI cover, 1st team USAtoday as a junior, games on ESPN as a senior) he also had the highest/most varied skillset. Seeing guys come in rated higher than him is well......OFF.

He was a 78 in 2K4.

A great rating IMO...but for consistency sake, no rookie should be coming in rated higher than that the same way only MJ and coming-off-back-to-back-titles-Lebron (2K14) are 99s. A great example being last year when neither Fultz nor Lonzo came anywhere flipping CLOSE to the 80 they were given at launch. Simmons had a 79 (I disagreed with that as well) IMO there should be a gap between Lebron and these rookies coming in unless they're generational guys. Simmons looks the part but he's still far from Lebron. I'd have liked to see him at maybe a 75 and we should be working out way down from there.

Ratings accuracy is important and can happen after its deserved. With Roster updates there's literally never a reason to do a fluff "we-want-him-to-be-fun-to-play-with rating" IMO.

I largely agree with your stance, except the bolded part -- roster updates do solve the ratings issues for people not playing the game modes day 1, but once you start a MyLeague/MyGM/MyPlayer with a roster, than that's it: you're locked in.

I believe that 2K takes this into account for day 1 rosters, as they project where players will end up at season's end. But that's just a guess, but that would be my reasoning for seeing such highly rated rookies.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #36
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir

I think we all agree the rookie who came in with the biggest hype was Lebron (SI cover, 1st team USAtoday as a junior, games on ESPN as a senior) he also had the highest/most varied skillset. Seeing guys come in rated higher than him is well......OFF.

He was a 78 in 2K4.

Ratings accuracy is important and can happen after its deserved. With Roster updates there's literally never a reason to do a fluff "we-want-him-to-be-fun-to-play-with rating" IMO.
Honestly, I don't take much stock in the OVR ratings. Specific attributes can greatly increase/decrease the OVR without much of a noticeable difference when you actually play with them. If he's rated too highly in specific attributes, then there's an issue. But if something like his defensive IQ or something is higher than average, that will inflate the OVR.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #37
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudanmalkovich
well.. the ambient occlusion effect is pretty famous graphic effect and almost every 3d game has it nowadays.

it's rather noticeable not having it.

you see his eyes are brighter than real counterparts? that's because there's no shadow or whatsoever and it looks lifeless. 2k18 looked more natural.
you're witnessing graphic downgrades. that is something mind blowing actually.
I wonder if it's something they just haven't implemented yet. I remember one year, perhaps 2k17, people were complaining about the lighting and dullness of the first batch of screenshots then mid to late August screenshots came out of a newer version of the game and they looked much better. Someone even commented, can't remember if it was Ronnie or someone on the development team, saying that final touches to the graphics is one of the last things they do before the game goes gold.

Take it for what it's worth. What we are seeing now could very well be what the final game looks like but there is that small chance that there is still a little work to be done before the game is finalized.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #38
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
I wonder if it's something they just haven't implemented yet. I remember one year, perhaps 2k17, people were complaining about the lighting and dullness of the first batch of screenshots then mid to late August screenshots came out of a newer version of the game and they looked much better. Someone even commented, can't remember if it was Ronnie or someone on the development team, saying that final touches to the graphics is one of the last things they do before the game goes gold.

Take it for what it's worth. What we are seeing now could very well be what the final game looks like but there is that small chance that there is still a little work to be done before the game is finalized.
yeah, I really hope they would. I really like the ambient occlusion effect and it does make things look good.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Honestly, I don't take much stock in the OVR ratings. Specific attributes can greatly increase/decrease the OVR without much of a noticeable difference when you actually play with them. If he's rated too highly in specific attributes, then there's an issue. But if something like his defensive IQ or something is higher than average, that will inflate the OVR.
the problem is OVR impacts trades value, contracts, chemistry/morale, etc.

Now the good news is in myleague apparently you can deal with this issue by using sliders to value what you want in trades, contracts, draft, etc.

but for a long time 2k has been inflating OVR for two reasons. First to make sure guys like Korver are valued enough in trades and signings. This resulted in him and others getting inflated stats in areas of athleticism that were undeserved and resulted in less separation on the court between elite players and rank and file.

The second reason was to assuage the egos of NBA players.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #40
Banned

How is a 6’8 Steve Nash only rated at 79? 😤

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »