Home

Old Vids: Missed Blocks more Risk/Reward in 2K17

This is a discussion on Old Vids: Missed Blocks more Risk/Reward in 2K17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #33
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Old Vids: Missed Blocks more Risk/Reward in 2K17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
The keywords I used were "jumped into" someone. The reason I heavily agree with automatic fouls when you jump into someone is because the offensive player can't do anything in that situation. If I catch a pass open and a defender jumps into me immediately, how am I to choose whether a foul is going to be called? Lol thats going to be a foul 99.9% of the time.

However, if I fake someone, and they jump straight up then its my choice whether to initiate contact and try to draw a foul, in which case its 50/50, 60/40 (whichever percentage you feel is right).*

The defender has full autonomy in whether they want to jump straight up or run and jump towards someone. If you inappropriately jump and land on someone, the ref isn't going to scratch his head and ponder if that was illegal contact.
Gotcha. IMO what you're describing is a little different....but for sure, i'd hope that after defender-initiated collisions resulted in turnovers in 2K18--that willfull contact in 2K19 would be whistled 100% of the time.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #34
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

IMO because developers are pathologically afraid of games becoming "boring" by turning into free throw shooting contests, they will never tune the game to call all of the fouls that should be called even when the User is blatantly running or jumping into players.

They don't have the will to force Users to change their style of play by having them suffer with a constant march to the charity stripe in online play, so players will always be able to exploit the game because of that.

If they ever do it, I'll come back and admit that I was wrong, but "fun factor" considerations will always hamper the game to a certain extent in terms of realism, IMO.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:37 PM   #35
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here in relation to what I posted...but the point is- if every mistimed jump animated into a foul, rececreating these couldn't happen, and would take away some of my personal favorite moves to use in game:

https://youtu.be/_8G1kvqqqDY

As much as people keep quoting (and twisting) Mike's words about layups...it would be a band aid fix punish every jumping contest that way.

That said, yes...some one randomly jumping at you while your dribbling on the perimeter should be punished every time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
O ok i see what you mean, that the foul would be called and the move would never be able to be completed, well most the time its not because the defender just clips into you and its a turnover, there are times though when i was playing the game, i was able to go by and finish with the up and under, but it was rare.

Last edited by olajuwon34; 08-05-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #36
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
O ok i see what you mean, that the foul would be called and the move would never be able to be completed, well most the time its not because the defender just clips into you and its a turnover, there are times though when i was playing the game, i was able to go by and finish with the up and under, but it was rare.
Yeah that's what I meant.

It's the opposite end of the spectrum for me...I rarely see those on the way down strip/blocks. Honestly cant remember the last time I have, tbh. I'm all PNO as far as online goes though.

Just had a game vs. a "jumper" as a matter of fact-

https://streamable.com/whqdp

https://streamable.com/fc1y7

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #37
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
IMO because developers are pathologically afraid of games becoming "boring" by turning into free throw shooting contests, they will never tune the game to call all of the fouls that should be called even when the User is blatantly running or jumping into players.

They don't have the will to force Users to change their style of play by having them suffer with a constant march to the charity stripe in online play, so players will always be able to exploit the game because of that..
I hope you're wrong...i'd also point out many of the hardcore mechanics in the series. (FG% for one) as evidence they might be willing to give us more real basketball every year.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 10

They just need context based animations, like I always say. When someone jumps, their body is live. You can get blocked by someone's body on the ground even if you try to go through them in certain cases, that thing where your dude just drops the ball. The defender is a tangible thing. Maybe too much so, but let's assume that's how it is.

Ok, so now I step through someone, and as an offensive player, my body doesn't block them from just reaching over me and blocking my shot because they get a full jump and basically karate chop me. They should be similarly blocked from jumping fully, esp if your player is strong or depending on your position vs them.

It's not impossible, but if I drop step on someone as a strong big and go up to dunk, the likelihood that they are going to block it from the side/back is pretty low. Seems like an and 1, but you gotta watch for that in 2k.

Should be the same with rebounding, if you have position on someone, they shouldn't be able to jump over your back like they do, no matter what their rating is, and they shouldn't be able to just fly in if they are going to meet some bodies. Dudes would be knocking people over or breaking their knees doing some of the kind of jumps.

However, I think 2k has to keep kids mashing those buttons and getting rewarded.

-Smak
Old 08-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #39
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
They just need context based animations, like I always say. When someone jumps, their body is live. You can get blocked by someone's body on the ground even if you try to go through them in certain cases, that thing where your dude just drops the ball. The defender is a tangible thing. Maybe too much so, but let's assume that's how it is.

Ok, so now I step through someone, and as an offensive player, my body doesn't block them from just reaching over me and blocking my shot because they get a full jump and basically karate chop me. They should be similarly blocked from jumping fully, esp if your player is strong or depending on your position vs them.

It's not impossible, but if I drop step on someone as a strong big and go up to dunk, the likelihood that they are going to block it from the side/back is pretty low. Seems like an and 1, but you gotta watch for that in 2k.

Should be the same with rebounding, if you have position on someone, they shouldn't be able to jump over your back like they do, no matter what their rating is, and they shouldn't be able to just fly in if they are going to meet some bodies. Dudes would be knocking people over or breaking their knees doing some of the kind of jumps.

However, I think 2k has to keep kids mashing those buttons and getting rewarded.

-Smak
They need to completely work on an engine for animations and physics for post and paint play separate from all the guard slasher dribbling and shooting game play, the layup animations aren't realistic down low, they almost need to have the post be like it was back in 2k17 or a prior game, at least then it had some physics and collision proper to positioning. The motion engine their on now isn't going to work with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »